Failing Amp!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGod87

Reaction score
Ok I had a bad preamp tube go out about two years back and I called a few places to get bench prices. One repairman said if it was something small like a bad tube I should just sell my RM100 since they are a pain to work on.

My question is if anyone has had any nightmares working on any MTS amp?

I'm planning on getting a JVM410 soon. Does anybody have any experience with Marshall? Are they reliable? I've heard they break down a lot and was curious if anyone has any insight.

GuitarGod87 said:
Ok I had a bad preamp tube go out about two years back and I called a few places to get bench prices. One repairman said if it was something small like a bad tube I should just sell my RM100 since they are a pain to work on.

I'm planning on getting a JVM410 soon. Does anybody have any experience with Marshall? Are they reliable? I've heard they break down a lot and was curious if anyone has any insight.

As a tech and a guy that works on all types of amps every day, this is the kind commentary that makes me cringe. Do yourself a favor and don't go back to that shop.

Good amp techs are far and few between. The problems run from guys trying to prey on consumer ignorance, old-school head in the sand mentalities and any number of other issues. Sure, modern amps are a challenge to work on. But in all likelihood that fellow has a hard time understanding the concepts and finding his way around the insides. It's going to take more time to troubleshoot a modern amp because it's more complex. That's part of the trade off for modern conveniences like channel switching and all the other bells and whistles we expect now a days.

Tubes are going to fail. That hasn't changed in 100 years. I didn't tell the guy with the 1971 Marshall Super Bass I just serviced on Christmas Eve to get rid of that amp because of a bad 12AX7!

Sorry if any of this seems like a rant, but I have seen a rash of horror stories as of late from locals that leave me shaking my head. There are just an awful lot of "Techs" out there who shouldn't be working on amps IMHO.

Jaded Faith said:
GuitarGod87 said:

As a tech and a guy that works on all types of amps every day, this is the kind commentary that makes me cringe. Do yourself a favor and don't go back to that shop.
There are just an awful lot of "Techs" out there who shouldn't be working on amps IMHO.
+1 on that. Seriously? Get rid of your amp because it's hard to work on? BS. :evil:

GuitarGod87 said:

Am I missing something here, on the basis of a bad tube he advocated changing amp? A tube that you change without even opening up the internals of the amp, one that you don't even need to bias? Simply do not return to this idiots shop, the rm100 is a good amp - full stop, end of!

Like all PCB based amp its not as easy as working on a PTP amp, but look at all the features you get - three channels, midi, bias for just about any power tube you want, parallel loop, serial loop etc, etc

Stick with the rm100 - marshalls are good too though in all fairness :)

Oh wow... +1 on the 'look for another tech...' Tubes go bad from time to time and are somewhat fragile by nature.

Of course the amp might have an issue, but you'd have to check it out before making that kind o decision.

GuitarGod87 said:

Hey GuitarGod87, just out of curiosity, where was the place that told you to seel your amp. I am pretty close to you & don't want to make the mistake of going there. I have an RM50 that might need a tune up soon, did you find a place for your RM100? There is a great amp & guitar repair shop here in West Palm Beach, but I don't know if they have any experience with these Randalls.
Happy New Year!

And did he offer "to take it off you hands" for a really low amount or maybe take it in trade to "do you a favor" ?

GuitarGod87 said:

I've had my DSL100 since 1998. I had one EL34 die on me in the first month - bought a replacement and have still been on the same tubes since.

Of course the DSL100 likely has little in common with a JVM410.

P7291754.JPG