high gain module for heavy down tuned metal

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus1

Reaction score
i currently have the xtc, ultra, recto, and just ordered the 1086. the ultra i feel is decent ,real heavy but maybe too buzzy in the highs, seemed like i couldn't get rid of it. it kinda sounded like a real boogie rectifier to me or some i should say.the xtc i use currently for evrything , i think it sounds like the recto with less bass and a hair richer highs, very mid heavy for me, but none the less a little better for me than the recto, they were very close in comparison. i've read and heard alot on the 1086 and was wondering with those views on those modules how the 1086 might be in comparison. all the clips i've heard killed so far. i'm just looking for that ultimate metal tone. i never hear anything the modern module i can't seem to find much on it as well. thiking of checking one out

I used my xtc with a boss CS-3 compressor to boost it and control the eq a bit and it was awesome.

www.myspace.com/turokmusic

One guitar track is my RM100 with xtc and comp through my framus dragon 4x12 the other is a mesa triple with road king cab

The speaker im coming out of has the solo in the song entitled 'rebirth of lies' on all tracks

how do set the compressor, i like a bbe in the parrallel with the effects banked. i'm geussing the compressor is similar[/url]www.myspace.com/bandxero

im not really familiar with that compressor, but as for my rig, I have a really dark sounding guitar and for some reason my RM100 was a little overly dark as well, so i set my head up for the meat of the sound and I'd get that little razor edge and extra gain by setting the volume on the compressor around full up to goose the head and then the eq I'd have generally set towards the brighter position on the knob. The boss was only like 100 bucks and i would just dump it in front of the head after my NS-2 and tuner. I messed with it in the loop a bit and i just didnt dig it.

We tune a whole step down and then drop d from there, so we're tuned pretty low...
I used the 1086 to record our last CD with.
It is by far the most versatile of all the MTS modules in terms of the range of tones it covers.
You'll be very pleased with the 1086 I think.

If you'd like to hear the 1086 in action, you can check out the clips on our webpage; http://www.americanhc.com
The entire CD, "No Apologies" is all 1086.
The first CD, "self titled" is a Line6 Flextone HD head, recorded direct if you happen to listen to any of that stuff.

On our MySpace page; http://www.myspace.com/americanhardcore
There are 5 songs there:

"Under" - Randall RM4 (1086) -> VHT 2/90/2 -> G-Flex 2x12's
"From The Inside" - Randall RM4 (1086) -> VHT 2/90/2 -> G-Flex 2x12's
"Tush" - Engl Powerball + Boogie Road King -> G-Flex 2x12's
"Mr. No One" - Line6 Flextone HD (direct)
"713" - Line6 Flextone HD (direct)

I have some clips I did a while back (see my signature)...
I need to do some new ones and plan on it, but time hasn't been on my side here lately.

For what it's worth, our last CD, "No Apologies" won the 2006 Cincinnati Entertainment Award for "Best Hard Rock / Metal" so the 1086 must have done it's job! :)

Jim,

Good tone and playing man! Dude, I like your band as well. Good sound you guys have, for real.

-Matt

jimosity said:
It is by far the most versatile of all the MTS modules in terms of the range of tones it covers.

Jim, I went on Randall site as well as my dealer's site to check out the 1086. No luck or info anywhere on this module. Is this a new one or is it an Egnater module?
Anyway, great playing and tone. thanks for posting this.
Tung

thanks for the info jim it was really helpful. it sounds great on your recordings. i'm sure i'll be real happy with it. i'm currently using the xtc for all my heavy stuff and it just seems to have high freq i can't get rid of without losing tone. did you just plug and play with those module clips because i can't seem to get mine to sound that good even set the way you described at the beginning of each clip.

tung said:
jimosity said:

Jim, I went on Randall site as well as my dealer's site to check out the 1086. No luck or info anywhere on this module. Is this a new one or is it an Egnater module?
Anyway, great playing and tone. thanks for posting this.
Tung

The 1086 is a Randall module that came out last year.
It's on their site, but you have to click on "Signature Modules" under the MTS section.
Here's a direct link.
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/sigmods/index.asp

It's the "Dan Donegan (Disturbed) Signature Module"

Thanks for the comments about my tunes; I appreciate it guys!

maximus1 said:
thanks for the info jim it was really helpful. it sounds great on your recordings. i'm sure i'll be real happy with it. i'm currently using the xtc for all my heavy stuff and it just seems to have high freq i can't get rid of without losing tone. did you just plug and play with those module clips because i can't seem to get mine to sound that good even set the way you described at the beginning of each clip.

The 1086 is similar to the XTC; but the 1086 offers far more control in overall tone.

Those are all plug and play modules; nothing special done to them (other than the resistor swap on some of the clean modules to help with my EMGs overloading them...

There are many factors when it comes to tone; the guitar, the pickups, the power amp, the cabinet, the player.

On those recordings, I was using a Peavey Wolfgang with active EMGs (81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck) into the RM4 then into a VHT 2/90/2 with KT88's pushing two Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cabinets.

whats the g-major do. i think i'm on to something i use a jackson king v with an 81 and 85, rm100, boss ns-2, a 4x12 avatar cab with g12 t-100's and an avatar 2x12 cab with the same speakers and a bbe sonic maximer 482 run in the parrallel loop with the fx knob on the front of amp cranked. all the modules went from decent to ultra saturated heaviness instantly when i put the bbe into the parrallel totally wet.

MetalMajik said:
what was your set up on your demos?

Recording wise?
Does this answer your question?

The recordings on this page were done with the following setup:
Peavey Wolfgang Standard with EMG 81 in bridge and 85 in neck.
Randall RM4 directly into VHT 2/90/2 (with KT88's) power amp
2 Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cabinets.
Shure SM57 point blank range off-center of cabinet into M-Audio Delta 66.
Recorded one track of guitar into Adobe Audition 1.5 and one vocal track.
Shure SM58 for explanation.

that was an ultra module with the bass at 8 mids at 0 highs at 3 with a bbe sonic maximizer low at 10 and high at 10 o clock

trust me on this one , you won't be disappointed it will take your modules to a whole new level. of crap :lol:

I must report that maximus is right. Putting the bbe in the paralel loop does make its effect much more dramatic. It boosted my bass and highs, and made the midrange nonexistant and really compressed the dynamics. If you're looking for that uber-scooped death metal sound, this is the way to go