I want to Reduce power output in my rm100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar@home

Reaction score
I want to Reduce power output in my RM100 head. I have tried pulling the outer two EL34 power tubes but it did not help very much. I would like to get down to the 25 watt range. Maybe use a Variac and drop the input voltage by 20%. I am new so any Ideas on how to drop the power output would be much appreciated. Other than a power soak.
Thank You,

Pulling 2 tubes loses 3 dB, not enough to really hear. It warms it up a bit perhaps. Using 6V6s or EL84s (with Yellowjackets) will drop it to 30-40w, which is about 6 dB and will be audible but not earth shatteringly different. Part of the problem is that the robust power supply still gives you a hard attack on notes, unlike the power supply of most 30-40w amps. Still more reduction would require an attenuator (another 6-12 dB will be quite audible and won't tax the amp) or modding the amp for cathode bias or triode mode switches. With cathode bias, triode mode, 6V6s you'd be pushing about 15-18w (or pulling two tubes and triode mode, 6V6s). Remember, if you pull tubes, you have to set the output impedance to twice the cabinet value (16 ohms setting for an 8 ohm cabinet).

drbob1 said:
Remember, if you pull tubes, you have to set the output impedance to twice the cabinet value (16 ohms setting for an 8 ohm cabinet).

Correction, set the impedence on the head to half the cabinet value (4 ohm setting for an 8 ohm cabinet.)

7.8VAC is way too high on the filaments. Can you measure the AC line voltage from the wall? Can you also measure the DC voltages on one of the powertube sockets? Please report back.

7.8VAC is way too high on the filaments. Can you measure the AC line voltage from the wall? Can you also measure the DC voltages on one of the powertube sockets? Please report back.

Is there a reason you are against an attenuator?

My weber MASS is the single best investment I have ever made in my tone. It has lasted with me through 4 different rigs.

I have 2 YJ EL84s on the inners, nothing in the outers and a hotplate. It sounds pretty good, as long as I keep the hotplate on the on the more conservative settings.

All in all, it makes the master volume useful. Without all this the master volume used to be so touchy. I would just breath on it and the volume would go from slightly too low to ear shattering.

I really like the yellowjackets.

Aaron

trimix said:
drbob1 said:
Remember, if you pull tubes, you have to set the output impedance to twice the cabinet value (16 ohms setting for an 8 ohm cabinet).

Correction, set the impedence on the head to half the cabinet value (4 ohm setting for an 8 ohm cabinet.)

Just out of curiousty, what would happen if you didn't do this? Or worse, did it backwards?

I'm pretty sure I did it right, but it's been over a year and Im at work, cant check, getting a little nervous.

Latest posts