RM100 missing something?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
In addition to my RM100, I have a couple other high-gain, high-wattage heads: a Mesa Mark III purple stripe and a Rivera M100. I've done a lot of A/Bing with many different modules, and every time I compare my RM100 to either amp, I'm left with the feeling that something is off about the RM100. The RM100 seems less robust in the midrange than either of my other heads, and the overall tone seems cloudier and less focused. Has anybody else noticed this? I have done the presence and density pot value correction on my amp, which definitely made a positive difference to its tone, but I feel like something is still missing. Does anybody else agree, and is there a solution?

In my apartment, I play my modules through the power section of an Egnater Tweaker into a Mesa combo cabinet, and I feel like I get better tone in that context than with the RM100 (either through a Mesa Recto vertical 2x12 or a Sunn Model T 1x12 cabinet). I haven't yet had the chance to A/B the preamp/Egnater combo and the RM100 through the same cabinet at high volume.

Jumper the parallel loop and turn the effects knob in the front to at least noon (mine's at 1-2 o clock ), best tone change I've made to my rm100. more bite, more cut, more balls. I'm a high gain guy, and it gave me the oomph I needed. I believe it's like adding another tube stage.

Turned my 100 into a fire breather!

LunatiBSW said:
Jumper the parallel loop and turn the effects knob in the front to at least noon (mine's at 1-2 o clock ), best tone change I've made to my rm100. more bite, more cut, more balls. I'm a high gain guy, and it gave me the oomph I needed. I believe it's like adding another tube stage.

+1. This trick did open up the amp a bit. I don't use it all the time but it is a fun option to have.

I don't know, tubes, speakers, they all make a difference. As well as volume. I did not really like the 1959 RR module until I tried different speakers. Then it was all different from there. But I like smooth tones and less bite so my rig might sound bad to you. My hot rod deluxe is very robust in the mids, but really prefer the Marshall smoothness and that plexi clang I get. I use el34 and wgs classic lead and vintage 30 mix for speakers. I suggest trying different speakers first, then decide. Worked for me.

Jump'ing the loop definately adds gain and more of a midrange push.

I'm going to order one of Salvations Presence mod circuits for my prized RM50...just for fun too.

Yeah I jumped the loop and it sounds so much better, like I didn't expect that much of a difference but to me it sounds a lot better and feels a lot more responsive or something. How much are the Salvation boards for an rm50 JKD?

Salvation's new product is meant as a solution to this issue...

I will soon be posting an install and tone check video to show you everything...It's an amazing idea, instead of buying some new mods because this one "lacked bottom end" or was "too bright" but "ALMOST PERFECT" can now be tweaked from the amp itself to be closer to that elusive tone we all seek...I know Anthony has been excited about this and that usually means some form of brilliance is en route!

Mattfig said:

I will soon be posting an install and tone check video to show you everything...It's an amazing idea, instead of buying some new mods because this one "lacked bottom end" or was "too bright" but "ALMOST PERFECT" can now be tweaked from the amp itself to be closer to that elusive tone we all seek...I know Anthony has been excited about this and that usually means some form of brilliance is en route!

Let's hurry the "F" up Fig! I wanna make sure if this really sounds good I get at least one or two sent back with my modules.

rat-foot_tap.gif

Mattfig said:

Sounds cool. Is this an expensive piece to order? I guess I could just go to the Salvo site but that sounds like a bit of work today.

drewiv said:
Mattfig said:

Let's hurry the "F" up Fig! I wanna make sure if this really sounds good I get at least one or two sent back with my modules.

rat-foot_tap.gif

Hey don't tap that furry foot at me mister! I'm waiting on the good people at Customs to make certain that the package contains no fissile material...Can't be too safe...

Hey guys.

New replacement boards are great improvement of RM 100 and RM 50.
Advantage is that you can simply go back to stock, just PUSH the knob in.
But when Density knob is in PULL position, the amp sounds quite different, more raw, sits better in the mix and tone is a lot more "in your face".
.Maybe I call it "move the air" switch, because it is exact description.

I have to say one thing: ALL users who has this mod prefers use their amp with this mod. All of them never go back to stock tone.
Although I think that for some type of tones is better stock position, my customers prefers only PULL position,.

I had customers who preffered "real" amps by side of RM100 (even with the best modules in), because of the power amp of RM100. They said that RM100 power amps sounds "lifeless", "sterille" or "cold" to them.
Now, when they listen to Board modified RM100, they love it!
This littlething pushes MTS amps even closer to non modular amps.

I have to say that this is my old mod that I did lot of times in the past, for Randall users in my country.
But it is not possible for all - requires modification of amplifier on my plant. Shipping of whole amp from different country would be very expensive.

So, I decided to design this small board, which can be simply shipped and simply replaced by customer.
It requires no drilling, no soldering. Just disassemble your amp, replace board (connection is done by the same snap-on connectors like stock board) and voila - thats it.

Pricing:
Price of RM100 board is 50$
price of RM50 board is 55$ (more pots, bigger board)
Shipping is 25 $ for less than 10 boards at once.
When is board shipped with module from Salvation Mods, shipping of board is free.

Important info: PULL position disables Density knob
There is also small jumper for "MIX" option. If the new sound is too much different for you, you can use small jumper on dedicated connector. It changes response of PULL mode to somewhere "inbetween" stock and new FULL mode.

I am looking forward for Mattfig videos that will show this little beast.
Anthony
734062_521553511228832_1491617074_n.jpg

eyeball987 said:
LunatiBSW said:

+1. This trick did open up the amp a bit. I don't use it all the time but it is a fun option to have.

I had not been able to try this trick as I was using the reverb tanks in the RM50s in the parallel loop. Now that the reverb tanks are connected to the RM4 FX loops I can try this. I shall do so tonight and post about my results.

audiomidijace said:
eyeball987 said:
LunatiBSW said:

I had not been able to try this trick as I was using the reverb tanks in the RM50s in the parallel loop. Now that the reverb tanks are connected to the RM4 FX loops I can try this. I shall do so tonight and post about my results.

Wow. It's a whole different amp with those FX loops jumped. For me setting the effects knobs at 9 O'Clock sounded right. I got a thicker, brighter, more compressed sound with a tad bit less gain. I had to boost the gain knobs on the modules just a touch to compensate. It doesn't feel near as forgiving as it does without the jumpers. Luckily I have perfect technic so this isn't an issue. 8) My Keeley modified Boss SD-1 sounds more organic with the jumpers as well. I redialed every module and got everything sounding pretty **** good I must say.
I'm going to order a pair of these new Salvation boards for my RM50s and give them a shot.
I'm also going to try those JAN 5751 tubes in the PI of both amps as Rob suggested.
Isn't MTS fun? :lol:

Latest posts