speakers and the modular stuff

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felipe R

Reaction score
which are your speakers experience with the modular amps?

im not sure but looks like the modular stuff was designed with vintage 30 speakers.

Actually, I think the standalone MTS 4x12 & 2x12 cabs are the only ones with V30's... the RM100C/RM80/RM50 combos have G12T75's, and the RM20 has a Greenback. And in addition to the V30's, you can also get the 4x12 and 2x12 with Celestion Neo's. So there's a pretty broad range of speakers available within the product line.

In addition to owning RM100C and RM20 combos, I have several Avatar cabs... a 2x12 with V30's, a 2x12 with G12T75's, a 4x12 with V30's, and a 4x12 with G12H30's. Of all of the speakers I've tried, the V30's have been my favorite so far... the G12T75's were too bright/brittle for my tastes, the Greenback was too dark for my tastes, but the V30's were nicely balanced in the middle, with good thump and good presence (high mids). The G12H30's are similar, but with a little more emphasis on the low mids. The combination of V30's and G12H30's is about perfect IMHO!

--B

I think it depends on what volumes you play at too. When I crank up, the V30's do sound pretty sweet.

However I when I use the c-90 black shadow from my mesa boogie combo (Basically a CL80, with a few tweaks, the Eminence red ryder is supposed to be similar) I heard all this CHARACTER I was missing out on! Don't know a better way to put it. The cliche of "blanket taken off" applies.
I imagine this could get a touch harsh cranked though.

I'm going to try keeping a v30 in the bottom and getting an Eminence Texas Heat for the top in my 2x12 and see that combo sings.

I'd love to have a 4x12, but due to space, back, and volume constraints it's not a good fit for me lately. Nothing like feeling it hit you in the chest though!

NuSkoolTone said:
However I when I use the c-90 black shadow from my mesa boogie combo (Basically a CL80, with a few tweaks, the Eminence red ryder is supposed to be similar) I heard all this CHARACTER I was missing out on! Don't know a better way to put it. The cliche of "blanket taken off" applies.
I imagine this could get a touch harsh cranked though.

That sounds promising... since I've got two cabs with V30's I'd been contemplating switching the 2x12 from V30's to CL80's (or C90's if I can find 'em used for a decent price)... you just might have talked me into it.

--B

bduersch said:
Of all of the speakers I've tried, the V30's have been my favorite so far... the G12T75's were too bright/brittle for my tastes, the Greenback was too dark for my tastes...

The Greenbacks are darker than the V30's? Is that like in deeper bottom, or less highs...high mids..or...could you describe? Just trying to decide on which speakers to order for my 2x12" open back cabinet since I'm not able to hear them up front. From listening to the samples on Celestions site I much preferred the Greenbacks over the V30's, and I didn't find them darker...but then I have no idea how that stuff was recorded.

Greenbacks are lower wattage speakers. 25W IIRC. They break up VERY early. They emphasize the lower mids in my opinion.

Personally, I would only want them in a low wattage blues amp.

I have tried the MTS head through the cab with the celestion vintage 30s. How does it sound through the celestion g12-75s and I see that randall is offering this in an X config with two vin30s and two75s. Has anyone tried this config? How does it sound?

I swapped the Vintage 30s out of my MTS cab and put some Eminence Texas Heat speakers in.... SO much better! I'm selling my MTS cab on eBay soon I think, so keep an eye out for it! :)

Grindcore13 said:
I see that randall is offering this in an X config with two vin30s and two75s. Has anyone tried this config? How does it sound?

Never tried it with two pairs in a 4x12, but for the first year my MTS rig consisted of an RM4 & RT2/50 through two 2x12's, one loaded with V30's, one loaded with G12T75's. Sounded great when using both 2x12's, so I expect they would sound great when combined in a 4x12 as well. The T75's have the presence, and the V30's have the thump.

--B

-B, wouldn't it be the other way around? The V-30s have that mid hump and the GTs are mid scooped with higher amounts of bass? Just curious. :wink: Yes, I have a lot of friends that go with the "X" pattern of GTs and V-30s and love them. That's what Bogner uses for the "Uberkab" and that thing sounds HUGE! Although it could also be the fact that it's like 100 lbs... :shock: My "metal" cab coming from EarCandy has mixed speakers, 1 Eminence Wizard and 1 Eminence Swamp Thang. Tim @ earcandy knows a LOT about speakers and cabs and he told me this is one of THE best combos for metal and hard rock. My friend has a JCM 800 Lead in white alligator (fake hehe) skin that I might be trading him some gear for, and since that metal cab is going to be white it would look REALLY cool! :D

I have a Vintage 30 in my RM50B. The combo sits on a 2X12 cab with one G12T75 and one Zinky- labeled Eminence (that resembles a V30). So I have a mixture of 3 different speakers. It sounds creamy smooth at all volumes.

BTW, if you ever find a Zinky speaker or a Genz Benz speaker (I think they're the same), buy it! They don't show up for sale very often however.

I knew a guy that had a Mesa oversized 2x12 Recto cab with TWO zinky speakers that was asking $350.... I held off too long!! :evil: