Hey Matt / guitarguy510!!! (Randall MTS/VHT content...)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
I know you didn't have your VHT 2/50/2 too long before you sold your RM4, but I'm curious how you liked this setup compared to your old RM100.

I also use an RM4 through a 2/50/2...having never heard it with the Randall power amp, I often wonder if I'm missing anything. Since you are the only guy I know of who has used an MTS system through both a Randall and a VHT power section, I'd really appreciate your input!

Thanks.

Gary

Hey Gary,

The Randall power amp section was very good (my head had the 6L6 tubes in it), it seems it was pretty well designed. IMHO, the RM4 and VHT 2/50/2 (mine has the stock VHT EL34s still) has an excellent overall tone to it! The cleans sound nice with 6L6s in the randall and the high gain tones were also excellent. I wouldn't say the Randall was bad in any way, although I think if I A/B'ed an RT2/50 with a VHT 2/50/2 I would probably pick the VHT. The cleans are great (sounded kinda like a mix between a fender and a marshall clean) and the high gain was AMAZING (especially the 1086!)! Most people think of 6L6 tubes as producing a tighter low end, but the EL84s in my VHT had SUCH an awesome low-end and was extremely tight. I played a lot of Trivium-esque thrash metal with the 1086 which involved a lot of palm-mutes and start/stop-based riffs and it excelled in that area. The pinch harmonics almost seemed a bit better with the VHT! Both power amp sections are very cool, but honestly I think I liked the preamp with the VHT power amp section the best! Don't worry Gary, you're not missing out... if anything I think you made a better choice! :wink: :p