Mts rack Vs head

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksun

Reaction score
Hi,

Being a mts rack user myself - I wonder what is the secret behind so many guys rather go with a RM50 or RM100?

Personally I always found the concept of a 4 space M4/RM4 preamp much more versatile, with also the possibility to change power amp altogether.

Recently it's come to my attention the lack of a preamp master in the mts heads with the consequence of no possibility to compensate the module signal strength in the FX-loop and hence the potential problem of clipping in effects units.

So why are mts heads so popular (or at least used to be)?

Why did the famous Rack of doom fall into redundancy and was replaced with RM100s, what is the secret!?

Salvo MDA, Tube Mixing i.e. EL34 and KT88 ? Just off the top of my head?.Easy bias?..You can mix any pairs of tubes, they don't need to be matched pairs?..Each individual bias with RM100?.

I went from Rack to RM heads?..I still miss the ease of the rack?..But I think the heads sound better overall?.Just me?.

I believe Figg covered quite a bit. Heads are way more affordable in the used market, also no need to find a power amp that also can cost big bucks for tube driven ones. Rack does offer more slots and that is always a plus and you can plug it into all kinds of power options to make it work. It comes down to picking your poison. :twisted:

Very smart gents up there ^^.. All of their points hit the nail on the head..

I'm a Rack man. I'm a huge fan of rack delays and to be able to mix that with 4 different mods and my favourite power section gives me endless combinations of tones.
Plus now on the floor I just have a tuner and my midi controller all into a 4 space rack unit which makes things light and compact.

I have always been a fan of a 'modular' setup

Even looking at a head, I still automatically divide it into it's main elements

For me, MIDI capability was the reason for going rack (this was just before multi-channel,
MIDI controlled, programmable heads came in affordable ranges)
Quick setup, 2 wires going back, no clutter up front, no tapdancing, press and store presets

I never even contemplated the RM20, 50 ,LB or 100 since I am in that 'modular' mindset, I stumbled upon the RM4 by accident anyway

I have an RM20, RM50 and an RM4. I use the RM20 for rehearsals or for a small gig. The RM50 is kind of cool but I don't use it much as I have a rack and if I really want to get my sound, I have to bring my effects and go through the RM50s loop and if I am doing that I may as well bring the rack and have everything in stereo. having four channels (which means four different amps now) is heaven. Each channel has its own effects patches and being able to switch btw them is something I have only dreamt about in the past. BTW, I did a C&W recording session last night. I took the RM4 with a deluxe, Voxless, Dumble and JF Tweed plus I had the Vybe in my non JF approved bag (hint, hint, Rob....)
The producer was searching for just the right clean twangy sound and I gave him all kinds of options with the Fender type mods. There was a rhythm part that needed a little grit and I used the Dumble and then a nice grungy rhythm that used the Voxless with the gain up. It sure is nice to have that in one rack. I love when I am told that a British tone is needed. "Would you like an Orange tone, a Marshall, a Vox or a HiWatt?"

I've run both rack setups and heads.
I had MTS and Triaxis through VHT 2:90:2 and 2150 and Mesa 2:90
I don't know if there is a techincal reason, but to my ear the head version always sounds better, ie Mark IV and Rm100, especially after foglifter, MDA board and/or Mercury transformers.

Is it that the preamp and power amp are both in one unit running off the same power and circuitry?
I dont know why, but heads always sound more natural and musical and less processed to me.

Plus, by the time you have an RM4, poweramp, effects, conditioner, you've got a 6 or 8 space monster to deal with and transport.
It's either taking up extra space on stage or very difficult to put on a cabinet.
(I feel like a whimp if I have to ask for help lifting my gear)

grbassist said:
I've run both rack setups and heads.
I had MTS and Triaxis through VHT 2:90:2 and 2150 and Mesa 2:90
I don't know if there is a techincal reason, but to my ear the head version always sounds better, ie Mark IV and Rm100, especially after foglifter, MDA board and/or Mercury transformers.

Is it that the preamp and power amp are both in one unit running off the same power and circuitry?
I dont know why, but heads always sound more natural and musical and less processed to me.

Plus, by the time you have an RM4, poweramp, effects, conditioner, you've got a 6 or 8 space monster to deal with and transport.
It's either taking up extra space on stage or very difficult to put on a cabinet.
(I feel like a whimp if I have to ask for help lifting my gear)
That RM100 is no waif... it is by far the biggest and heaviest head I have ever lugged around. It is a TANK though. Those friggin transformers are as big as a toddler's head! If it fell out of the back of a truck, I would be more concerned about the asphalt than the amp.

Latest posts