Randall RM22 footswitch question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at getting an RM22. But the lack of standard relays to switch channels is a major no-go so far. I have a pedalboard with a voodoo lab control switcher and like the idea of controlling amp channel switches with mid.

From what I got the only option to do so would be to "hack" the footswtich to add two relays that would remote the activation of the switches? Am I right and how complex/expensive is it to have such a thing done?

Thanks in advance!!!

I believe the reply you received from Randall is the correct one unfortunately.

There are several issues with this request:

1: There is no available schematic for the RM22 foot switch. Both the RM22 and RM1250 were not designed by Randall or Bruce Egnater. This limits being able to fully understand what the switch is doing.

2: The foot switch for the RM22 contains a proprietary programmed chip to give the instructions to the AT89C4051 chip (a low-voltage, high-performance CMOS 8-bit microcontroller) inside the head. There are relays in the head, but they are downstream from this chip. Because the AT89C4051 is the actual "brains" behind the switching, you can't do the "relay via MIDI" thing with your Voodoo like you could in an amp where switches were simply toggling a relay directly.

Any attempt to accomplish your goal would likely involve hours of research to completely redesign the switching system and bypassing the current one. It's surely not a simple mod nor a "hacking" of the foot switch scenario. This units switching is complex and a result of the overseas design efforts that created the unit.

Hope that helps,
Rob

Thanks Rob,

I may turn my eyes on an RM50 then, that is bigger, but with a simple footswitch circuit.

Cheers