Here we go again....best Speaker in an RM50?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
I've had:

+the stock celestion G12T-75, harsh and shrill to me

+V-30, nice but the mid hump, and distortion sounds rattly with some mods. lacking a 3D feel. I know a lot of single speaker combos use this, Orange.

+Reeves Vintage Purple cast frame made by Warehouse. This one really has a 3d feel with good solid punch but lacks the low creamy

Is there such thing as a high wattage Greenback that is really sounding like a Greenback? I've tried Scumback, sounded flat to me

anyone experience any magic?

I have a Scumback in my MOD50 combo that won the combo speaker contest. I can't recall the model, but I'll check when I get home and report back.

I may be the odd man out on liking the Scumback in the combo. When I told Rob (JF) what I was running in my combo, he was surprised.

FWIW, I also really like the WGS Retro 30 that the Scumback replaced. I could happily live with either speaker.

Ironically I just rolled about a dozen speakers through my RM50 combo in the past 2 months, as I plan to use it gigging with my band. I had some near hits, many misses and some mixed results. Shockingly, the hands down winner fits your tonal description perfectly. With not a single reservation, go with the Celestion Creamback M.

It's a 65W Greenback tone with better focus in the bottom end, balanced mids with woody knock and a top that compresses beautifully when pushed. My artist Nick just picked up a quad of them for various Bogners that he uses live and he was floored with all of them.

The closest second was the Creamback H. The V30 was an honorable mention with reservations. The CL80 was very plain, dare I say flat. The T75 was....well you know all about that. The G12-65 Heritage wasn't tried because the Creamback M broke my jaw as it dropped it so quickly.

Jaded Faith said:
Ironically I just rolled about a dozen speakers through my RM50 combo in the past 2 months, as I plan to use it gigging with my band. I had some near hits, many misses and some mixed results. Shockingly, the hands down winner fits your tonal description perfectly. With not a single reservation, go with the Celestion Creamback M.

It's a 65W Greenback tone with better focus in the bottom end, balanced mids with woody knock and a top that compresses beautifully when pushed. My artist Nick just picked up a quad of them for various Bogners that he uses live and he was floored with all of them.

The closest second was the Creamback H. The V30 was an honorable mention with reservations. The CL80 was very plain, dare I say flat. The T75 was....well you know all about that. The G12-65 Heritage wasn't tried because the Creamback M broke my jaw as it dropped it so quickly.

This is the kind of crap that makes me buy sh!t I really don't need. :lol:

yeah, I hear that. I guess it's just a money game. go try one, dislike it, sell it, try another, so on...

It's super tough in a 1 x 12 because one speaker kind of sounds like ****, unless it's a fender at full blast, or anything at full blast. there may be a million speakers that may let the nuance of my playing through at the frequencies I like to hear but ****, I'll only know when I hear it i guess.

thanks for the info

Ima make a head cabinet for my RM50 and use my 2 x 12 if it's the last thing I do, this month

Scumback H75-LHDC / 65w-16 ohm

As soon as I saw it I was like "Oh, yeah. How could I forget?" I preferred the Large Dust Cover (LHDC) in the combo. Keep in mind your entire rig prior to the speaker makes a huge difference (stating the obvious). I generally use Vintage Hot pickups; PAF Pro, BKP VHII, MCP Detroiters, etc. I will say the combo sounds horrible with High output pickups; X2N, Tone Zone, BKP Nailbombs, etc.

Hey, Rob. Do you wanna send me over one of those Creambacks for break in service? :wink:

WGS ET65. I just compared speakers for my MTS rig today and for a single speaker that will handle Fender mods, Vox mods, Marshall mods, etc, the ET65 in an open back cab is amazing. The Veteran 30 or Greenback were both cool combined with a G12T-75, but not very versatile. The ET65 adds something cool to each mod I played it with, it's not just a "neutral" speaker. The Mesa C90 is supposedly kinda neutral and it did nothing for me today.

trimix said:
WGS ET65. I just compared speakers for my MTS rig today and for a single speaker that will handle Fender mods, Vox mods, Marshall mods, etc, the ET65 in an open back cab is amazing. The Veteran 30 or Greenback were both cool combined with a G12T-75, but not very versatile. The ET65 adds something cool to each mod I played it with, it's not just a "neutral" speaker. The Mesa C90 is supposedly kinda neutral and it did nothing for me today.

If anyone's in the market for a Vet 30 or ET65 I have one of each and I believe and Invader (whatever the WGS 50W Greenback copy is) for sale.

**** Rob, slow down.. You're jumping too far ahead. I still haven't tried the CL80 (Egnater Elite 80) you recommended over a year ago yet.. lol

warlok said:
**** Rob, slow down.. You're jumping too far ahead. I still haven't tried the CL80 (Egnater Elite 80) you recommended over a year ago yet.. lol
No harm in that! :lol:

The CL80 is a great neutral speaker that won't color you amp. Not a bad choice at all. It's all relative to your application.

Jaded Faith said:
With not a single reservation, go with the Celestion Creamback M.

It's a 65W Greenback tone with better focus in the bottom end, balanced mids with woody knock and a top that compresses beautifully when pushed.

OMG I *want* this now!!!! :D

I really can't say enough about them. I partner with Celestion and have almost one of every speaker they make here in the shop loaded in one of 15 cabs. It's a great way to try lots of different speakers quickly and easily to make informed evaluations.

The Creamback M's have been fantastic in every amp we put them in. Open back or closed. They just sound like "rock and roll" as soon as you hit the first chord. I have a pair on the way this week for my AC30.

Latest posts