The start of the new modular rig...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simply put:

Randall RM4 - Utilizes single-channel modules. So, by using the foot switch or whatever midi-switch, you have access to four independent channels/modules. Much less expensive than the Egnater (in the neighborhood of $350-$400). And, as far as I can tell, identical in all other ways to the Egnater.

Egnater M4 - Utilizes dual-channel modules. Therefore allowing for access to eight channels, two per module. And , with rare exception, the two channels on a 'dual channel module, consist of dedicated gain and volume settings. The eq is shared. The Egnater can run the single channel modules. The RM can run the duals as well, but the 'channels' must be switched manually and not via foot switch/midi. Much more expensive for the M4, and the dual modules are also a good clip more expensive. All in all it will run you about twice that of a similar RM4 setup.

IMO, all the duals really get you is a clean/low gain and higher gain 'channel'. One could get nearly identical results using single channel modules in coordination with an OD or Tube Screamer. Others may disagree with this, but I dunno, I can't see the advantage, with the exception of some rare custom modded modules that truly have two distinct channels...

That's about it. Comparison between the Randall and Egnater heads is pretty much identical, except the Egnater heads are even more expensive in relation to the Randall's (~$1500 for a Mod100, vs ~$350 for a RM100).

We'd prolly all have the Egnaters were it not for cost! I would for sure, but not nearly worth the cost for my uses. It's all up to your needs and wallet!

And, welcome to the forum!

That sums it up pretty well. A couple additions.

-Egnater gear is more pricey as it is made in the USA.
-Egnater MOD series amps feature US Made Heyboer Transformers.
-The age old Dual Channel Debate... :D

If I could do it all over again, I'd start with an Egnater M4 with 4 of the dual modules. Id send the mods off the Rob and Antoin for modification. I'd pair it with a Fryette power amp, a cab for live use and a Two Notes Torpedo for home use. That would pretty much be the ultimate MTS rig.

If you can afford the Egnater unit, go that way. Yes, modules and their modifications will be more expensive, but it allows for 8 channels and if you want any of the single channel mods, it will accept them too, without any modification.

I should be said that not every mod can be done on dual modules. They are not truly two channels, they share gain stages and EQ. There is a compromise on some mods.

Also note that there are some single channel M4s out there, these are basically identical to the RM4 in functionality except they were built by the Egnater shop in the US.

At some point, Egnater discontinued the FX loop on the M4s, based on purity of tone..so you will find some M4s have an FX loop and some do not.

Very cool. Will definitely need the effects loop. Not sure if dual modules are a direction I would want to go in. It seems those really don't do 2 separate things (after watching the demo video of the Camerock, I realized I would need 4 of those to get the sounds they used in the video). So I'm thinking the RM4 might be the way to go (or the Egnater with the effects loop at the right price).

Thank you for the information.

Will be starting my gear search as soon as the tax money comes in.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't really thought that far ahead yet. I still own a Tubeworks Mosvalve 500. Was probably going to try that first and move on and try others if I didn't like the sound.

What are some power-amps you all might suggest?

RnRCrazyKnight said:
I haven't really thought that far ahead yet. I still own a Tubeworks Mosvalve 500. Was probably going to try that first and move on and try others if I didn't like the sound.

What are some power-amps you all might suggest?

Ahhh?That's why I mention it?.'Cause you can get a 3 module RM100 (with great power amp) for as cheap as ever?.ABout the price of an RM4?.

My observation has been that the following seem to be the most popular for use here:

Randall RT2/50
Mesa Boogie 2/90
VHT/Freyette (not sure of the model(s) off the top of my head).

I've seen plenty of folks sing the praises of each of these, though I have no personal experience with either. I'd prolly go with RT2/50 personally primarily due to the ability to run two different types of tubes on each 50W 'channel', and these are assignable/midi switchable. So, if you want el34's with your marshally mods then you got it, you want 6L6's with your Fender/Mesa mods? You got it. You want both, for 100W output? You got that too. Seems to fit the entire purpose of mts to a tee. Others will surely disagree though based on their experience.

You'll find plenty of info here on each option, so search away!

I mainly use rm4's and Mesa power amps (20/20 and 100/100) and they do sound awesome but there is definately something about the rm series heads. Even the Rm22 although only small still has this real "organic chewiness" to it and the rm100 well I still get goosebumps from the tone of it when I get to crank it, it's just a pity the weight of it stops me from gigging with it.

as i understand it, Salvation Mods can make some of his mods with 2 separate channels. each having it's own EQ, gain and volume. 2 channels per module, switchable on the Egnater. So with the Egnater you could indeed have 8 separate and individual channels with 4 dual modules, foot switchable. Salvation can pretty much make you whatever you want

Corium_AZ said:
VHT/Freyette (not sure of the model(s) off the top of my head).

I think the 2:50:2 is the popular VHT/Freyette power amp.

Also, with the prices the heads are going for (Ive seen as low as $400 unloaded) it's *really* hard to beat an RM100 right now, unless you are absolutely 100% set on a rack setup.

Mattfig said:
Agreed?The RM heads offer the best of everything power amp?.They can blend two tube types, individual and easy bias for each tube, and you can add an MDA (or Foglifter) to your tone..

Mr. Figg, can the RM100 be halved in power?, using only two of the output tubes? They are a fine amp but for playing small gigs......i would love one though

withmittens said:
Mattfig said:
Agreed?The RM heads offer the best of everything power amp?.They can blend two tube types, individual and easy bias for each tube, and you can add an MDA (or Foglifter) to your tone..

Mr. Figg, can the RM100 be halved in power?, using only two of the output tubes? They are a fine amp but for playing small gigs......i would love one though

They've got a great master volume, so playing smaller gigs isn't a problem. I use mine for any size gig we play & am always happy to have 3 modules to choose from

VitaminG said:
withmittens said:
Mattfig said:

They've got a great master volume, so playing smaller gigs isn't a problem. I use mine for any size gig we play & am always happy to have 3 modules to choose from

The above is true. I usually run my master at about 8 oclock, and while it is loud, it ain't that bad, and I get pretty good power tube breakup at that volume too - that'll largely depend on what tubes you run tho.

And, yes, you can run the RM100 @ 50W, with either the inside or outside two tubes removed. This does not make any appreciable difference in volume tho. Does make a difference in tone though.