KT77's in RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
It's time to retube my rm100. I've been running two 6l6's and two el34's for the a few years now. I don't have any complaints with that setup but I am also thinking I would like to try something different. So, should I try a quartet of Kt77's? a quartet of 6CA7's? I don't play anything too heavy as far as tone goes...if that helps. Thanks

Really personal decision and no right answer. I'm currently running GT 6L6 & EL34, but I usually run Gold Lion KT88 & =C= EL34 (that's an expensive combo). I'm enjoying my current mix, but do prefer the KT88/EL34 mix. It's all up to you.

drewiv said:
Really personal decision and no right answer. I'm currently running GT 6L6 & EL34, but I usually run Gold Lion KT88 & =C= EL34 (that's an expensive combo). I'm enjoying my current mix, but do prefer the KT88/EL34 mix. It's all up to you.

KT88's eh? interesting. I believe that I have those in my bass tube head.

I realize it's person preference. I was just hoping to order 4 of something and be done with it and get back to playing. :) I know I don't want 4 6L6's and I'm not sure if I want 4 el34's.

You think those Lion's are worth the cash (really?)? Drew?

I've looked at them a few times. Can you really hear the difference?

Do you own a tube tester?

I've never tried the Lions, but I've tried a bunch of other tubes like.. "Gold pin this or that". On the tester, and to my ears (which I don't mean to toot my own horn, but my ears are usually pretty good. and...) I haven't ever really seen/heard that much difference between the expensive tubes like the gold pins and etc.. As long as I test the tubes and pick good ones from the cheap stock, they're just as good (and even sometimes I've found some cheap tubes that were better). I mean I have heard some really old RCA/Tesla tubes etc that blew my mind, but other than that... I haven't seen where its been worth the money.

JD said:
drewiv said:

KT88's eh? interesting. I believe that I have those in my bass tube head.

I realize it's person preference. I was just hoping to order 4 of something and be done with it and get back to playing. :) I know I don't want 4 6L6's and I'm not sure if I want 4 el34's.

Yeah, KT88. They play really big and open; lots of headroom. I feel they really let the module itself shine. I like them mixed with the EL34s. That said, I'm really not a 6L6 guy. Please keep in mind my absolute favorite MTS setup is a VHT 2|90|2 and M4, but just couldn't do a rack rig.

suphuckers said:
You think those Lion's are worth the cash (really?)? Drew?

I've looked at them a few times. Can you really hear the difference?

Do you own a tube tester?

I've never tried the Lions, but I've tried a bunch of other tubes like.. "Gold pin this or that". On the tester, and to my ears (which I don't mean to toot my own horn, but my ears are usually pretty good. and...) I haven't ever really seen/heard that much difference between the expensive tubes like the gold pins and etc.. As long as I test the tubes and pick good ones from the cheap stock, they're just as good (and even sometimes I've found some cheap tubes that were better). I mean I have heard some really old RCA/Tesla tubes etc that blew my mind, but other than that... I haven't seen where its been worth the money.

Are they worth the money? Who knows? I'm not sure they sound better, but I have found they last longer. I've never done calculations to see if they pay off in time, but I got a quad when they were on super sale last time.

When you go KT88, what brand do you use?

I own the Orange Tester. I know, it's not the end all - be all of testers, but it's good enough for me. It tells me good/bad - matched/not matched.

suphuckers said:
I've never tried the Lions, but I've tried a bunch of other tubes like.. "Gold pin this or that". On the tester, and to my ears (which I don't mean to toot my own horn, but my ears are usually pretty good. and...) I haven't ever really seen/heard that much difference between the expensive tubes like the gold pins and etc..

I agree with this gold pins are all marketing BS IMHO I neither hear any difference, nor can I see any on a tester!

In answer to the thread question I love KT77's, got them in my MOD50 and my Diezel Herbert, and they absolutely crush in both amps.

Tend to agree with Drew for the RM100 I like KT88 and EL34's - but it's just a matter of time till I re-tube one with KT77's :D

JD said:
It's time to retube my rm100. I've been running two 6l6's and two el34's for the a few years now. I don't have any complaints with that setup but I am also thinking I would like to try something different. So, should I try a quartet of Kt77's? a quartet of 6CA7's? I don't play anything too heavy as far as tone goes...if that helps. Thanks

I use that very combo in an RM100 and LOVE it....It gives you a really nice, unique, British tone...

The only parameter of significance is transductance....... choose 6L6 for low transductance,, and low damping versus EL34 for high transductance and higfher damping. Most other tubes fall inbetween...

Edit:
forgot to mention changing the PI tube to a lower transductance type goes a long way.. try a 12AT7 before you spend ur money on output tubes.

drewiv said:
When you go KT88, what brand do you use?

I don't use KT88's in any of my amp's.

I went round and round with power (and other) tubes and ended back with JJ 6L6's.

I also use a JAN5751 in the PI.

I use EH tubes in V1. I know that might not be the most popular choice. "To me" they are as close to that $100 old Tesla Tube I heard once, as I've been able to find. I use JJ-12AX7's in all the other sockets.

Latest posts