RT2/50: mono

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to use my RT2/50 with a Mesa Recto cab. The RT2 has two output leads while there is only one input on the cab. Can you use just the top output lead from the RT2, or do you need to consolidate the two cable signals via a box? Looking forward to your advice please.

you can only run 100 watts in stereo, 50/side. For switching between the 2 50watt power sections, use switching mode and just connect your cabinet to the first speaker jack (forget about extension jacks entirely) and look out for correct impedence.

werdna said:
Is the first jack, the top one coming out of the RT2?

Use CH1 (top). there are 2 top jacks and they are conected so you can use one or two cabs/spks. Remember it's mono but not bridged.

Sorry to labor the point, but I'll be ok switching between power amp channels one and two?

The RT2/50 is an odd concept but very versatile

If your setup is 1 preamp, 1 cab, you can use the channel function to select what output stage you desire

Pre 1 to Ch 1 6L6 connected to output 1
OR
Ch2 EL34, connected to output 1

If your setup is 1 preamp, 2 cabs, you can use the channel function to select what output stage *including the cab that is connected to that output

Pre 1 to Ch 1 6L6 connected to output 1 Jensen
OR
Ch2 EL34 connected to output 2 Celestion

2 preamp 1 cab setup will look like this:
OR
pre 2 to Ch2 EL34 connected to output 1 Jensen

And with 2 preamps, if you were to connect 2 cabs to the different outputs, it'd look like this:
OR
pre 2 to Ch2 EL34 connected to output 2 Celestion

The concept is all about switching sides
the more you hook up the more linear the channelswitching becomes

werdna said:
Sorry to labor the point, but I'll be ok switching between power amp channels one and two?

Yes. If you connect only 1 spkcab, power amps will switch and both will output to that cab.

Thanks for the previous advice. Just so that I don't damage the RT2, confirm something for me please. On the back of the RT2 are two speaker outputs next to each other and written under them is "EXT - SPKRS - MAIN (use first)".

I am running one preamp into the RT2, which feeds one Mesa Recto 2 x 12 cabinet. I am running the RT2 so that I can switch between the two sides, one with EL34s, the other with 6L6s.

My question is this: do I run the speaker cable from the left speaker output or the right speaker output please?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yup, you'll want to use channel 1, main output - the one that says "use first".

The message use this first is written once but clearly relates to both outputs, which sit side by side. I assume I use one, or I use the other. However it is not clear which is the one to use first. I think you are meant to use both first, as there are two further outputs below which are also for external speakers which don't have the message use first. Which I would post a photo but I don't have a publicly available site on which the photo is located.

werdna said:
The message use this first is written once but clearly relates to both outputs, which sit side by side. I assume I use one, or I use the other. However it is not clear which is the one to use first. I think you are meant to use both first, as there are two further outputs below which are also for external speakers which don't have the message use first. Which I would post a photo but I don't have a publicly available site on which the photo is located.

Photobucket is your friend in this situation! :)

Using one cab, switching between the channels, use channel 1 "main". The top right jack, as you look at it from the rear.

Its as easy as that, no "y" cable needed regardless of your setup. The two jacks for each channel are NOT left & right. The "main (use first)" is for one cabinet on that channel, the "ext" is for a second cabinet on that channel.