Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You wanna mod it yourself?

I would look at R57A. Or just keep the volume on the modules themself lowish.

I am looking to mod it myself. I would like to add send and return pots to the series effects loop so that I can run pedal effects.

You can exchange R57A (220K) with a pot and take the FX-send signal from the wiper. You can use 250K, but you might as well go lower down to 50K.

I wouldn't install a FX-return pot. In essence, the MV is a FX-return pot.

I would even advice not to use a send pot. Instead:
-Piggyback R57A (220K) with 10K
-Lift one end of C27 and solder a 47K between C27 and the PCB pad.

Thanks for the info. If I don't add a send pot and use the alternate method of piggybacking the 10k and adding the 47k, will I still need to add a return pot?

Let us know how it works out for you.. leaving the volume on the modules low is not an option. They come alive at the 2 o'clock position for me.

It bogs down the signal and overloads it even more, have you tried it yourself? I have talked to Bruce about many ways of doing it without success

But then it DOES work, right?

-The mod was designed to bring the signal of the FX-send down. That's accomplished right? Either fixed, of with a POT. Use the master volume as a FX-return control.

-Yes, the extra loading of the CF will enhance overloading the FX-send. Insignificantly with a 250K POT, and a bit more significantly with a 50K pot, or 47K resistor. Most people find the overloading of the FX-loop, at about 2-3oclock on the module volume, desirable.

It simply doesn't work, once again, have you done it yourself? It weakens the purity of the signal, and still produces undesireable overdrive, trust me, I have done this and worked at it for a long time.

Simple maths and science cannot help sometimes against a trained ear.

My effects loop is footswitchable and modified. You will also notice when connected to the effects loop you loose low end, thats why my effects loop mod actually disconnects the jacks from the circuit also.

I also find it incredibly hard to believe that people would find an effects loop 'overloading' desirable, I personally myself would be furious if i'm trying to play a sparkling clean passage with delay and its creating filthy rubbish in my signal.

Once again, use your ears, not always science, how else did Mike Soldano discover 39k on the third gainstage.

Common, you need to be more specific if you want your post to be of any help to anyone.

What did you build (pot?, value?, fix resistor)? A schemo would be helpful. What is speficically your gripe with the mod I suggest?

-Well, it was designed to attenuate the FX-send signal use it can be used with stomp-box pedals without overloading the stomp-boxes. And it does just that.

-I also retains the overdrive ability of the FX-send, which is what the OP asked for.

-It was NOT to make the FX-loop more transparent or switchable. just to make it low-level and adjustable if needed.

PS
Maths and science always help against any subjective ear.

I tried exactly what you have spoken about. It strangles the tone completely, that would be my main gripe, along with a rough tone still and loss of low end, I have 2 RM100's that i tried it on.

Now, have you tried it? Also, do you know who designed this? Who said it was meant to be more transparent of switchable?

I retract my post that "this does not work"

In a sense, it does work, much like if you roll the volume or tone on your guitar down by half, you get a thinner more choked or dull sound, but hey, it works!

If you are sensitive to the loading of the cathode follower on the fx send, you can try two things:

1. A treble bypass cap. You wouldn't want a full bypass, so play around with series resistor values along with cap values until you find a set of vales that properly rebalances the highs at your desired attenuation.

2. A simple solid state buffer. Use a high impedance design. This will keep the CF from being loaded at all and you can attenuate the buffered signal without dulling the sound at all.

I do agree with tschrama that this shouldn't be necessary, but perhaps there is something else going on in your fx send stage that is causing the issue. Regardless, these are a couple things to try.

Well I designed it, although 'design' is hardly appropriate for such a simple mod.

Just to be clear, no I didn't build it myself just because I make mod suggestions on a daily bases on several forums.

What did you build? Did you use a POT? what value?

It sound to me that you might have made an connection error, because that could lead to a "a thinner more choked or dull sound".