RM100 parallel loop jumping

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
It has been discussed that jumping the parallel loop and turning up the Effects knob helps thicken up the amp at lower volumes. Curious if it is necessary at gig volume?

nitrous12 said:
It has been discussed that jumping the parallel loop and turning up the Effects knob helps thicken up the amp at lower volumes. Curious if it is necessary at gig volume?

In theory, you are also adding extra harmonic content from the loop buffer tube (and noise) but if the primary goal is to "thicken up" the tone, it probably won't be necessary at louder volumes due to the Fletcher?Munson curve.

flecker-munster curves aside. I have found that it actually takes away from the tone. It seems to make it sound a bit flat (Or something similar to that). I suppose some people could perceive it as adding thickness but I think it doesn't sound good. Yes the shitty grammar is on purpose. If you wanna add something, add some compression in front.

So no it's not
necessary
IMO at any volume ;)

I had Rob modify aan rm50 and he put a switch that jumps the loop. I didn't find it flat at all. I found that it gave the tone more....well, tone. It didn't really fatten it up but gave it more....presence and warmth maybe? Whatever it did, I liked it and am going to jump my other one.

ricky said:
I had Rob modify aan rm50 and he put a switch that jumps the loop. I didn't find it flat at all. I found that it gave the tone more....well, tone. It didn't really fatten it up but gave it more....presence and warmth maybe? Whatever it did, I liked it and am going to jump my other one.

I just realized that the tube I have in my loop may be a factor in this. I never really thought of that before. Maybe I'll have to give that a look.