RM50 1x12 OpenBack Combo or RM50HD with Closed back cab?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewjangle

Reaction score
Hi MTS Forum,

These questions are for the users who formerly or currently run a RM50 Combo or head and cab setup. What are your thoughts on the over all tone from module to module playing through each of these? What do you like most about it/What do you like least? What modules sound best to you running open back vs closed back and vise versa? For your style and ears which setup is best overall?

A little background; I've been playing for over 20 years and have had everything from Fender, Crate, Peavey 5105(Original),Line 6, Boogie and even Randall Rm100 and Rm50's before. I have loved aspects of each and still have regret over each one I've sold. However, I find myself coming back to the Randall RM series time and time again for different reasons. I have sold off several pieces of equipment trying to slim down the stock and get back in to the Randall MTS line and I would really appreciate input from seasoned players who have experience with this line and how they are using both in the studio and on stage!

Thanks for your time and input!
-Brewjangle

Personally, I only use open back cabinets at this point.
Generally, closed back cabs, I my experience, only develop their full characteristic sound only when you are at least 8 to 10 feet away from them.
An open back, depending on how far away from a hard reflecting surface (a wall, for example) can do it practically right in front of it.
Also, a closed back cab (personal opinion) needs to be pushed harder, i.e. louder, to sound good. So, depends what you're looking for.
My set ups are usually, an RM50 head, and the original combo, open back cabinet with a Vintage 30 (British) or an Eminence Maverick speaker.
The other MTS rig is an RM4, RT2/50 and 2 2x12" open back cabs w/Vintage 30s and 2 4x10" open back cabs w/ Jensens.
There is a HUGE difference in the sound over all depending if you keep the power amp master volumes low (9 o'clock) or high (2 o'clock) or higher.
Like playing different amps. Playing since '63.

The RM50 combos are one of the best deals on the planet.
The Celestion 75 speaker it comes with is quite nice in my opinion.
It certainly doesn't sound bad, so you can change it later or put the money in to a bigger cab.

I started with the RM50 combo. I tried so hard to like the sound of one speaker, it didn't work for me. I tried V30, then a Fane clone, then the Creamback. Each was an improvement over the stock speaker but none was giving me what I wanted. My mods are all vintage style mods but vintage clean/crunch, so I always felt I needed more than one speaker for a fuller sound.

I love playing small fender combos and the like but for the mods I had I always needed a different sound.

i tried my semi open 2x12 but still it wasn't doing it. it was shrill with the RM50 and my mod choice. i got a closed back 2 x 12, a deep one, put the Fane and Cremaback in there and violas! that's it for me.

I can see it working for a Twinface or Deluxe type mod but all the marshall, orange, hiwatt, etc...flavors...I really feel they need to have a cab that is in the same ballpark as the mods.

if I ever manage to get myself a Twinface I'll convert the old Rm50 cab into a 2x10 or 1 x 12 cab for use.

btw, this current 2 x 12 is the first closed cab i've had. previous to MTS I've aways had Fenderish open cab stuff, and loved it

The only open back 2 x 12 i can see working for me is a very large one with a lot of empty space in it.

I'm a big fan of closed back, but I'm a die hard heavy rock Marshall guy who switched over to the MOD50. I have half a dozen open back combos scattered around the house for noodling and recording, but they never cut it for me when playing in a band. My ideal cab is still my '77 Marshall 4x12 with post-Rola greenbacks, but I usually use my stock Egnater 2x12 or my '66 Bassman 2x12 with early 70's Sunn speakers for practical purposes. I find that regardless of what speakers are in a closed cab, I can usually adjust the head to deliver something that works for my sound. I don't find open backs to be as forgiving.

Thanks for the replies so far!
For the most part I am a die-hard closed back cab player. I love the focus and response they provide. That being said, one of my favorite amps that i've ever personally owned was an early 90's Mesa Mark IV widebody combo with a 90watt Celestion. I could get tons of tone for pretty much any style out of that amp.
On the other hand I have had open and closed back cabs that were lacking for what ever reason. This is the reason for my question about what certain players prefer for different styles, the modules you are using to get those sounds and what characteristics most make "that sound" for you.

What guitar(s) are you guys using with your setups? Pickups?

Other than being able to accept dual channel mods, are there any other differences between the Randall RM50 and the Egnater Mod50?

I have an RM50 and I like the sound of the open back. I also have aCarvin Legacy 2X12 that is closed and also opens up. I get the best of both worlds that way. I play open back for a while and think "Man, what a great sound." Then I go the other way and think the same thing. I just love guitar tones and just like the MTS line, I never have to settle on one thing.

Brewjangle said:
Other than being able to accept dual channel mods, are there any other differences between the Randall RM50 and the Egnater Mod50?

That, and the transformer(s). The Randalls use lower-end Chinese transformers, whereas the Egnaters use Heyboers.

Also, the RM50s don't have midi capability, but do have a boost function that the Mod50 does not. Otherwise identical, I believe - most (if not all) RM50 PCBs are actually labelled "Mod50".

Anyhow, hope that helps. And someone please correct me if I'm wrong.