RM4 - modification / switch

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G12

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone would know what this switch would do in my RM4. Its obviously been installed by a previous owner. Curious why it was installed and what it could or suppose to do. appears to be a capacitor at each end.

See attached pics. Hopefully this shows something.

Cheers

20150731_221928_zpsp9ts9bg2.jpg

20150731_221942-1_zpsbdjszabn.jpg

20150731_222119_zps6lvrki1r.jpg

It looks like they put a cathode bypass for the first preamp stage on a switch. It's really sloppy work though and I'll bet it pops like hell when switched.

http://blog.audioworkshop.org/the-cathode-bypass-capacitor-explained/
Thanks JF.

in lamens terms what does that mean or why would someone install it. Would it affect the tone? Should I remove it or how can I fix the sloppy work.is it just the soldering thats sloppy or is ithe unshielded cable. Should I just remove it and if so is it just a capacitor in the pcb than needs resoldering.?

I tried to read what a cathode bypass meant but alas im a lamen and didnt really get it.

Personally, I would remove the switch and install one of the same value as what's in the picture (22uF, at least 16V) where they wired it in. The role of that particular cap In that amp is to help provide the most signal boost to your guitar pick up in a fairly neutral gain stage. It's not a tone shaping stage and it's not a switch that I would ever install personally.

Jaded Faith said:
Personally, I would remove the switch and install one of the same value as already in the picture (22uF, at least 16V) where they wired it in. The role of that particular cap In that amp is to help provide the most signal boost to your guitar pick up in a fairly neutral gain stage. It's not a tone shaping stage and it's not a switch that I would ever install personally.

ok cool thanks for the help. Is the cap poloraised? I just noticed the cap on the pcb is 1uf 50v and as you mentiined the one at the switch is 22uf 50v.

So you're saying to remove the seyitch wires and everything and just put back a 22uf cap on the pcb.

It does pop like you said but doesnt seem to do anything as in no tone difference.

I notice I get some noise like random shh or tube chatter.. might be the module rather thanthe chassis as it doesnt happen with module out.

it switches in & out the 22uf with the 1uf, you should actually hear a difference. I have done this on every piece i've owned. On cleans if you have the 22uf engaged they will be big and lush (just like fenders etc.), but on high gain i would turn it off so your gain is tight (like on mesa, framus etc), out of all the switching egnater designed, this he also should've done

Hey mate.

I only have a recto module so cant really test the cleans. Definitely no noticeable difference with the recto module.