RM100 + Audio Interface Suggestions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnyinvincible

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the forums and just picked up an RM100 and an RV412A cab with 2x Celestion Vintage 30's & 2x Celestion G12T-75's. I've got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-50MX headphones and I'd like to be able to be able to play through these headphones with my new setup but since the amp head doesn't have a phones jack I'd like to ask the group for advice regarding audio interfaces.

I have a PreSonus AudioBox USB from a while back but I fear this thing is just a toy and can't handle the amp head so I'm not even going to bother hooking it up and risking killing the interface (it was my beginner box, I used it to record random jams while at a friends house on lower-end equipment). I'd like to purchase an interface worthy of the RM100's power so I can jam at night through headphones without a visit from the police.

I was wondering what type of audio interface you guys are using and if you could give me some suggestions? I usually play metal and heavy rock and I am willing to invest in good gear so my price range is pretty flexible.

Cheers,
Vinny

I'd recommend on of the Focusrite Saffire USB interfaces. They sound great, and have impressive specs for around $50 more then the PreSonus.

Ok, so by your post I'm guessing you think you can just plug your amp into your interface? I hope not, because you can't do that, lol. Well, at least not if you don't want to blow that interface & maybe amp, to hell.

You need something to 'absorb' the power of the amp. Interfaces are made only to accept line or instrument level sources.

I do have my rig setup like your wanting. I use a thd hot plate to absorb my RM's power, and convert the signal to a line level signal. In this way it acts as a 'load box' or 'dummy load'. That line level signal is passed into my interface (now an SPL Crimson), and I use Redwirez speaker cab IR's in Reaper for speaker emulation. Sounds great and cost me maybe $200. Well, except for the interface.

I second the above RE about the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces. I used one for a long time & it was great for that purpose. I got the SPL because I'm recording these days & I needed the much better converters. Scarlett will work perfectly for you though!

If you want to spend the money the Torpedo Live is an AWESOME interface between the amp and workstation...It will take the dummy load and let you load your own IRs or use the stock ones....I have it and it's great.....Here's a short vid I did on it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg7BnstjwT0

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

I don't know much about the proper use of professional equipment yet but I knew not to plug in the amp head directly to my interface. Sounds like the power attenuator is what I am missing. I'll look into that and upgrading my Audiobox USB to something else or possibly going the route of the more advanced interfaces that has the loadbox built-in.

Thanks for the helpful links, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Vinny