Power amps for RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
I'm interested in power amps for RM4's.
Bare in mind, up here in Canada, the Randall RT's are super rare, the VHT's are super expensive. So Marshall's and Mesa's are easier to find, BUT I'm also interested in smaller 1U/2U space amps, and solid-state power amps too.

I liked the Mesa 2:90, mixed with a GCX or RJM switching unit to control the power amp functions, but you really need two 4x12's to get the full effect which all make for a massive rig to move about!

IF you must have tubes and want 1U there are the Mesa 20/20 and the Marshall 20/20 - both louder that you would expect but EL84 driven so lack a little thump IMHO.

If you want some thing in the 1U size the Rochtron velocity 300 is pretty cool (http://www.rocktron.com/velocity-300-rack.html) it's not tube but it's light and loud. I normally bridge it to 300 watts into a single 4x12.

If you have more cash you could always go Matrix, not tried them yet but the AxFx guys love them - they do a 1U too.

And last but not least is the Marshall valvestate 8008 - not in production anymore but they are pretty cheap and easy to find. Again I *think* from memory you can bridge it to 160 watts, sounds pretty good too.

I am a big fan of the Carvin TS100. I consider that the most bang for the buck. I use one with the RM4 when I have room for my rack rig. I have 6L6's in it and it is incredibly warm.

ricky said:
I am a big fan of the Carvin TS100. I consider that the most bang for the buck. I use one with the RM4 when I have room for my rack rig. I have 6L6's in it and it is incredibly warm.

Definitely the best for the price, I agree 100 percent! I had a TS100 up until about a year ago and loved it!

The Mesa 20:20 uses EL 84's, and there is a mod where you can add or have a deep switch added.

There are some posts on this on quite a few places;

Just search google for this or something similar.

"mesa 20/20 power amp deep mod"

When it comes to inexpensive, I mentioned the Carvin...

I forgot to mention the higher priced faves....

There's always the Randall RT250 if you can find one they are awesome with all kinds of applications...

Then there's the Fryette 2:50:2 or 2:90:2 while I have never owned these I have played MTS thru them and it is glorious....Spendy is warranted on these bad boys...

I have had several Mesas with no appeal to my ear with MTS...I, at one point, had my recto style mods going through a Mesa :
0916121304a.jpg
... I loved it for awhile but it didn't stick....

If your ok with a mono power amp, I highly recommend the Freyette Powerstation. Sounds great and does a whole lot more for $600. I use it for my for M4 and as the wet side for my other amp. Can be used as a attenuator, add a loop to amp if it doesn't have one, direct out to your DAW input... etc.

lintycreep said:
If your ok with a mono power amp, I highly recommend the Freyette Powerstation. Sounds great and does a whole lot more for $600. I use it for my for M4 and as the wet side for my other amp. Can be used as a attenuator, add a loop to amp if it doesn't have one, direct out to your DAW input... etc.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one....Never heard one but have read rave reviews....A helluva price too...

Good call linty!