Any preferred power amps

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert

Reaction score
What are you guys using for power amps for your RM4's?

Mine is a 50/50. Any preferences?

Currently i have a Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum power amp its ok as its pretty small and just sits in the back of my rack but really wanna get something better.

Can't go wrong (if price is a factor) with Carvin TS100 or Randall RT2/50 (if you can find one)....If your pockets are deeper you can look into Fryette 2:90:2 or something along those lines...

Having said that, I am a big glass person thus I would say to avoid EL84 or 6V6 tube power amps as they don't deliver the goods at gig volume....If that doesn't matter, then the options are limitless... :)

As said I use a Mesa 50/50 that was built in the 90's and this thing is built like a tank. The only thing is that the air-cooling is so loud that even though he sounds ok on low volumes the cooling fan becomes annoying.

I second Matt on the Carvin TS100. I have a couple of rigs and when I have room on stage, I use the TS100 in stereo. beautifully warm amp....and reasonably priced.

I use a Mesa Boogie Stereo 20/20. A single rack space and way lighter than the RT2/50 or the more powerful Mesa Boogie rack amps.

The 20/20 will make your ears bleed. Any gigs we play that need more power, we team up with a sound company that uses some nice mics on my cabs. So my rig is reduced to being my on-stage monitor.

So my rig fits in a 6U rack box: RM4 (2 spaces), DigiTech GSP-2101 (2 spaces - yes the 2101 not the 1101), a Monster Power Pro 2500 (1 space) and the Boogie 20/20 (1 space). Easy-peasy setup and tear-down. Eat yer heart out, Marshall stacks.

how good is a mesa 50/50? I see they are cheap, sometimes. And of the Synergy is beyond my price-point it may be a good option?

or the 20/20 with it;s lousy el84 supposedly has a "deep" mod somewhere in the ether?

Back on the Simul-Class 395 again, running in 30 watt class A mode into two Randall 4x12s with X-patterned G12T-75s/Vintage 30s.

895610FB-53B6-43B0-95BB-B93B4E7E4C27_zpsc4ovhdva.jpg

Trimix,

Your choice of modules in your RM4 is scary close to mine. I was just considering the Mash-All to be replaced (didn't make my mind up yet with what).

That Mash-All is actually a Sacred Groove upgraded SL+ with a Salvation face-plate on it. I always seem to keep an SL+ in one form or another in the rotation.

I was waiting for the Synergy power amp but they did not include features I was hoping for....so i got myself an RT2/50

Wow, this amp sounds so much nicer than my RM50. I had always assumed that it was constructed of 2 Rm50 power amps but the sound difference makes me really wonder.

My mods sound so much closer to the intended amps they model, I mean that I am so satisfied with the sound that I am again convinced I did the right thing getting into MTS.

only problem is the weight and the lack of power scaling. I hope to add some features through mods

I love my RT-250. I think it KILLS all of the Mesa power amps. If you're going to gig with this setup, you may consider getting a separate rack case for just the RT-250. MUCH easier to carry it all around that way.
Enjoy!

yes it is heavy and i ordered a 4u for it and the Rm4. it's very heavy...75lbs?

I may swap that case for 2 x 2u, but yeah, very happy with the sound, it'sa uuuuuge

Latest posts