What's the deal? RM series, synergy, modules etc.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackTheLad

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the all mts world but I've to say that I'm fascinated by it. Since I'm lacking any experience I hope that you can help me clarify my (many) doubts. I recently found a deal and I could buy a RM4 chassis + RT2/50 for less than 500 dollars. I know that this is basically the value of just the power amp so it's a pretty sweet deal I think, but now is also coming out the synergy line so this gear could become obsolete very soon, here where I live modules are also pretty rare and often pricey and I'm not all that great of a player so for me it would be an investment with the perspective of reaching my desired tone in the future thanks to the possibility of changing and modding my modules instead of buying new combos, preamp etc... I'd like to know if the synergy modules will work in the RM series and if the quality of the synergy platform is big time or just marginally better than the RM (i know that the new modules will probably be a lot better than the stock old ones). I'd also like to know if I could (or ask someone to) build my own modules, because thanks to all the infos like schematics and mods that you can find here in the forum this idea popped in my head... I think there are just 2 or 3 kind of pcbs so it should be possible to make a batch of them and then put whatever you want in them following tips and schematics right? It would be time consuming but probably cheaper than buy a custom module (that without donor are at about 400 dollars each 😲). Sorry for the poem but i'd love to hear your thoughts about these matters.
Ps: If I made some mistakes or the sentences sound weird I'm sorry (you can point them out,I'd like to improve) but english is not my native language and i'm typing from my iPhone (with the known added difficulty of the corrector getting in the way 😁)

you should buy t for 500. the same rig in Synergy is around 2000 without preamps.

synergy is lighter but lacks some serious features compared to Randall. I just got the RT2/50 to use with my RM4 and its the best sound i've ever had.. seriously good. heavy but good

Yeah, i really like the features in the rt2/50 because are pretty uniques, i haven't seen another power amp like that ever so i'm thinking to buy the whole rig and if I can't find the mts modules i could try to sell the chassis and I would still have made a pretty sweet deal on the rt i think...i'm a hobbist so i don't play outside very much but i read that even at low volumes is very good sounding (someone can confirm?)...and if it's too heavy sounding i could just try to play with various kind of tubes i think...

First up welcome!

Second if you can get a RM4 + RT2/50 for $500 BUY IT NOW! That is the cornerstone of a really good, if heavy, rig :)

The Randall MTS stuff is all single channel, where as the Egnater and Synergy is dual channel. In most cases dual channel means that you have 2 master volumes, 2 gain controls and a shared EQ (treble, middle and Bass). Thought there have been rumors of some of the synergy modules having 2 full sets of EQ's.

In terms of the kit becoming obsolete the Egnater (and we are told Synergy) modules work with the Randall MTS gear so you should be good. There is one caveat here and that is the dual channel modules, by default, only work on one channel in the Randall gear (channel A I *think*).

To get round this either any of the modders (Jaded Faith / Salvation / Sacred Groove) or Bruce Egnater can fit a switch that will let you choose which channel works in a Randall MTS amp setup (though this is not selectable via a foot switch).

There was some suggestion that there is a switch on the Synergy modules that allows you to preset the channel for Randall kit but only Jace has actually seen the Synergy modules so far.

Other than that the differences in the Synergy line are presetting the cathode voltage, (possible) full dual EQ's, the fact the modules are being designed by the actual manufactures (so Friedman, Soldano, Diezel, Egnater etc.) and the new hardware in terms of preamps, poweramps, heads etc.

However you should grab the RM4 and RT2/40 and if you want a Synergy preamp you could always add a SYN002 at a later date!

Thank you! I just want to point out that the rm4 is unloaded so i'll eventually have to spend at least other 400 bucks unless i find another way...so it's a big step for me since i'm a college student and i don't have big money to spend, i'm thinking of buying the rig because if I sell some stuff i should be able to fund this purchase making it (more or less) my definitive rig for recording and live situations (if I can find a way to get/build the preamp modules)...and i don't think that i could ever find the same deal for less since there aren't a lot of rm4 and rt2/50 in my country to my understanding...
Ps: Anyone knows if there is a way to know if the rm4 is in working order without having any module?
Pps: Yes I know about the single/dual channel problem, i actually posted in the DIY section about this

still, at 2k with synergy you'd still need to spend 800 on two modules. $2800.

ebay modules are pretty cheap and new modules with a donor from any modder are around the same as a new preamp so any flavor you want.

can't beat that deal. or get yourself an AC15 and buy a new guitar

My RT2/50 sounds pretty darn good at lower volumes

No, I like the modular thing better because in future i'd like to record something so the combo would be less flexible... Anyway I decided to buy the rm4 chassis and rt2/50 so i'm selling my roland bc30 combo and Blue tube II rack to fund the purchase and in a couple weeks i should be a mts rig owner, although with no modules. I'll just have to wait until i find a good deal on some 😁 if I ever find one, that is. I can't believe how rare they are, I'm checking ebay for awhile now but there is only a recto used in Italy for 180€ Shipped, lots new in Germany for more than 230€ and none in the rest of europe...even in the US the situation isn't all that better...it's insane...
On this topic, did someone ever try to build his own starting from the pcb? Is it at least possible? I think i saw a post about a guy building his version of an Engl but i didn't find much informations about it... Thanks for all the good inputs

you'll find some mods, there are always deals here in Classifieds. there's a JF XTC right now for a steal.

Only thing on Ebay is dealers trying to rid themselves of stock they won't let go for cheap. also try Reverb.com

Also, welcome the MTS. I have the same rig and I can easily say it;s the best amp I've ever played. I used to practice in many a NYC hourly space. those studio spaces were stocked with all kind of boutique amps and classics. None of them sounded as good as my current rig.

Thanks, today I bought the rig but i have another problem: i've got only one module and when i was trying the amp, when the module was in the slot 1 the amp was still playing the module when i switched to channel 4 (that was empty). This only happened with slot 1 (that the amp played with either channel 1 or 4 selected). Is this normal? (i don't think so but i don't wanna think that i'll have to replace the midi switching board or something like that, and I hope that when i'll have another module in slot 4 the amp will play normally, because my fear is that instead both channel will be playing). Thank you folks.