Mimicking a vintage amp

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
So I came of age before master volume/gain knobs. I think the power section on an amp would have been full on as there was no way to turn it down. Everything came from the pre amp. So if I wanted to mimick this on a Randall or Egnater, would I tun the master amp volume and module volume all of the way up and then start cranking the gain? I am not in my studio now but I imagine that if I did this on my Twin module it would act like my real twin and not really break up until I was at ear bleeding volume. It seems that a Deluxe module would break up sooner like this and also the same with a Plexiglass module. Any thoughts?[/u]

The volume control on the amps you mention were placed early in the signal path, typically right after the initial gain stage and EQ. MTS is going to be a bit different due to different numbers of gain stages (even on a Fender module) and a tube loop to consider. That said, running the amp Master and module full up and using the module Gain as the volume control will closest approximate what you seek. You will drive the loop buffer and return stages harder and it's not exactly the same, but it's close enough for rock and roll.

I went home and tried it and it was way too noisy to use. Lots of hiss.
Thanks Rob.
BTW, that RVERB dualie is really nice!

I run vintage style mods on an RM22 and RT2/50. for me I have found that running the module master all the way up or nearly and the gain at the desired sound, the amp's master can be run lower. The RM22 is better at it because it don't really have a master volume for the power section.

If I want more gain I can turn down the module volume a bit but it loses heft the lower I go.

My deluxe module has snap and growl, an added boost gets it roaring. Choose your speakers for the types of tomes you want. My Vox mod is the same way. a cleanish sound turns into a beefy roar with string attack.

Volume all the way up

I sometimes use my RM20 and you are right. With no master I run the module master full on and then kick up the gain. However, that is one loud 20W amp! I am unending a JBL D120 clone in there now and it is a cool sound. I was just wondering about different ways to approach the RM50\MOD50, but they are certainly different animals.