RANDALL MTS RELIABILITY AND BUILD QUALITY ISSUES THREAD

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khingpynn

Reaction score
I am asking all who are disatisfied with thier Randall MTS amps to please sound off here. I know that we have many dissatisfied Randall customers and I want to open up a discussion strictly for the sole purpose to let Randall know how we feel and what we expect done.

Khing

I have also problems...

reliability is bad...especially midi problems und even worse, the amp stops to work sometimes

i have posted a topis, where you can read a more exact descripion of my problems

I am really angry about this, mainly because I have no car and no time to carry the amp back into the shop all the time...it is not fine for the shop too...such an expensive amp, and always problems with it

Love the sound and the concept, love the MTS line BUT the amp is **** UP!!! Mine has problems since the day I bought it, been in repair twice in less than 6 months since I've owned it :evil:

The one issue I had was likely because the amp was shook up in transit - the first thing I'd do if I had problems would be to drop the chassis and look for bad fuses (it's full of them) and then also loose spade connections.

If anyone would find it useful, next time I have a few minutes (which will probably be next year, lol) I can shoot 'gut shots' of taking an RM100 apart which might help some of you guys. These amps are a pain in the *** to take apart due to the weight, but I'd rather spend 30 minutes opening one up and checking connections vs sending it off immediately.

Pete

Hey Guys,

We're here to help, so please let me know what issues you are having so we can either troubleshoot each issue by e-mail or we'll get any issue looked at by our lead tech at no shipping expense to any of you. I just want to make sure you guys are happy and rockin.

Each MTS amp has a numerous amount of protection fuses both inside the chassis and on the rear panel, which I understand is a frustrating when a fuse blows. They are only in as additional protection against major tube failures.

I will be checking posts all day, so let me know what I can do to help each of you.

Thanks,
RD/MAN

I've had tube ( 2 bad ), fuse ( 5 blown ), tolex ( low adhesion ), and module delivery time ( 8 months and counting ) issues with the Lynch Box Head and SPKR Cab... more recently a flickering/dimming power light.

The spkr cab has been replaced with all tolex issues apparently corrected, the head shell was replaced with tolex issues still present.
I recieved the Grail mod back in November of 06 when I bought and paid in full for the head, cab, and mods. It was 7 months later that I recieved the Mr.Scary and the Brahma mods with the Super V still not in my possession.

Other small but annoying issues are the before mentioned power light issue and a spring retainer for the chassis hold down nut cracked into two pieces and feel inside the head chassis and I had to fish out... no biggie really but very annoying after all that has gone on with this amp.

The following are my fellings on the Randall MTS line of amps... not all the MTS line but the experience I have had with my Randall MTS product.

First I do commend Randall on such an achievment. The Randall MTS line of amps are truely inspiring and well concieved ideas and all at a price that average players looking for a pro rig can afford. The amps look great and sound incredible in my opinion.

But is tone and good looks enough?

I say no it is not. The truely unavoidable issues lie clearly in Randall's build quality and greatly effect the reliability of these amps.

If I as a player have a great looking amp that also sounds the biz but am unable to enjoy it because of poor build quality then what purpose does it serve.
I will not take it to a live performance for many other potential Randall customers to see and hear because I feel I cannot rely on it. I cannot and will not talk of it in only good light on the forums. I cannot comment at the music shop as someone inquires about this line of amps and say it is an all around great product... unless I plan on not speaking the truth. If I am approached in any situation in any forum ( meant in the true meaning of the word ) and am asked about the Randall MTS line of amps then I must say it as I see it... I will comment on my experiences and not give this amp a high recommendation... and that is a truely unfortunate thing because these amps have so much potential.

Randall has dropped the ball big time on this product.

I'm hearing stories of guys having trace ccts dremmeled out of the PCB in an attempt to make this amp more reliable... to great success I might add.
What happened there... in my opinion Randall fell short on their commitment to the end user by using a poorly designed protection cct.

What about the Midi issues ppl are writting in about... more of what Randall is becoming known for... poor build quality.

Then there is the now infamous wait time on the mods. Just tell us up front your having issues and let us know when we can expect to see the mods for real. Not this two weeks, two weeks, two weeks with the reasons not clearly defined and changing over and over.

There have been spkr cab issues aswell. Early shipped Lynch cabs went out with greenbacks instead of Super V's.

Whats even more alarming is that these issues and some new ones seem to still be rearing their ugly heads while we the valued Randall customer sit and wait with no sound resolve.

Why are ppl waiting months and months to have a tube replaced under warranty?
Why are we having replacements done with items that still have issues?
When will the mods arrive?
Why did Randall put so much into a product to only have it fail from a build quality standpoint?

I understand that certain Randall employees have the best intentions and are trying their hardest to resolve the issues with the products and keep their customers happy. After all Randall is solely dependant on it's customers to sustain the life of their business. Bad product equals unhappy customers equals low profit margins and poor sales equals life's not so great at Randall.
In my opinion the issues lie at the core of Randall's business and it is here where the changes must be made and made very very soon. Customers who are not 100% happy with their Randall product and that have legitimate issues must be given a amicable resolve.

Having said all that a resolve will be met there is no doubt about that and all Randall's customers will be happy in the end... what I question is how many customers will move on to bigger and better things while Randall sorts out it's mess. Is the resolve moving on? Will there be fewer happy Randall customers?

To finish on a good note the MTS line of amps is a very cutting edge product with it's modular preamp all tube design that incorperates great tone and awsome looks all at a price that is affordable for what you get.
I really do believe that the Randall Lynch Box is one of the greatest half stacks ever concieved. Much attention to detail has been given with input from inductry giants such as Bruce Egnater and George Lynch along with Randall's own team of Guru's. I consider the Randall Lynch Box to be one of the best sounding and looking tube amps on the market today.

Khing

I had 3 blown fuses and 2 power tubes blow, in the 1st week of owning an RM100. The dealer would NOT refund me nor replace any parts, I was lucky enough to have a family member whos partners with CMI to get someone to look at it, so for the 1st week of owning the amp I had a total of 2 days usage. I feel I cant rely on this amp for ANY gig, which is sad cos it sounds so good.

BTW, the dealer/store, told me I broke it cos I biased the amp..... and said it is SELF biasing...... some people need to be educated about these amps ie. The dealer. :roll:

On top of that I had to pay for the repairs ASWELL as shipping.

disasterxpieces said:
BTW, the dealer/store, told me I broke it cos I biased the amp..... and said it is SELF biasing...... some people need to be educated about these amps ie. The dealer. :roll:

On top of that I had to pay for the repairs ASWELL as shipping.

That's really not right. Especially on your dealer's end of the bargain, they're dicking you around big time.
My RM100 had blown power tube, defective preamp tube from day1, but Randall covered the repair. Mind you, it took 6 months for this to be taken care of :evil:
I think Davesalad is on to something here, a freakin' recall. I seriously doubt that will happen, given Randall track record, but at least, us owners should be compensate for this total lack of quality control.

My Randall LB will be in the shop again! having too much issues here...do really want to use it live!?... I am think on jumping ship and switching to a Splawn Quick Rod.

I had 3 blown fuses and 2 power tubes blow, in the 1st week of owning an RM100. The dealer would NOT refund me nor replace any parts, I was lucky enough to have a family member whos partners with CMI to get someone to look at it, so for the 1st week of owning the amp I had a total of 2 days usage. I feel I cant rely on this amp for ANY gig, which is sad cos it sounds so good.

That sounds all to familiar...

My Randall LB will be in the shop again! having too much issues here...do really want to use it live!?... I am think on jumping ship and switching to a Splawn Quick Rod.

I hear ya bro... I've been sent out a new cab which seems to be 99.9% but the new head shell suffers from the same tolex issue be it not as severe... I'm pricing my next amp right now... MCC said that the would be happy to cut me a cheque and refund the total amout for the Lynch Box Head and Modules.

I'm looking at Budda Superdrive, Splawn Quick Rod, Fuchs OD Supreme, and a Soldano SLO. I may keep the cab as I really do love how all my amps sound thru it.

Unfortunatly Randall is just not stepping up to the plate here and solving the problems. Some very good attempts were made and I do truely appreciate them but what good is a great sounding unreliable amp. I've told Randall what I want and it's been over two weeks now with no contact. RD/Rich has done what he can now it's up to Steve and Doug... and HELL NO I'm not gonna just go away.

I agree a recall would be a good move on Randall's behalf. Or how about this... fix the fucking problems and send us all out amps that actually work and are not going to break down until they have seen some use!

I was just offered a new head chassis/electronics... I'm weary of that because it will likely be the same can or worms as I allready have... there goes Randall not solving the true issues again... man it is frustrating.
I cannot and will not accept a baindaid solution.

Khing

Some of you guys truly have the patience of Job. MTS gear is cool, but I would have moved on long ago if I had to deal with half the problems you fellas have.

Thankfully, knock on wood, my RM50B combo has been very reliable. I've played a lot of hours on it since I bought it last September and haven't had one mechanical problem. I have had a problem with tolex lifting on the back panels, but it's minor. If I were buying MTS gear, I *would not* buy one of the 100 watt amps as they definitely seem to be the most unreliable. I used to think it might be just because they were the most popular, but while that is true there are just too many complaints. I've never heard anybody mention having trouble with one of the 50 watt amps. Don't recall hearing many problems with the rack gear as well. As said above, you are golden with the Eggy stuff too.

I owned a Randall RM50HB and RM100 head (as well as an Egnater MOD50 head) and had ZERO issues with mine. I understand some people have not been as fortunate but I don't think creating a thread badmouthing the product is a productive solution. You need to take up personal qualms with Randall CS to get the problem fixed IMHO, I don't think this thread is going to make your problems go away any quicker honestly. :? Just my 2 cents on the issue.

guitarguy510... I appreciatey our words bro and no hard feelings what so ever... Truley...
You are not the first to take this position... you are the second... and I'll say what I said to the first member.
This is my chosen approach... this is a public forum and I feel that this is a very effective approach to gathering information for Randall and it's customers.

Khing

No worries man, you guys are totally entitled to your opinion, I was just saying it doesn't seem like the best way to make someone work faster on fixing your gear is all. ;)

I had an RM100 and it was troublesome but I did talk with warranty and resolved all issues.But getting a hold of someone was a rather hard task.It worked great after a month in the shop.I sold it a month after and got the MOD50 and have not even had a hiccup with that.I do have the RT/250 which I love,and have not had one single issue with it either after a year of lots of playing time,Knock on wood...................

I put an RM20B in layaway about 3 months ago. While it was in layaway I played it after hours so I could crank it a bit. I turned it up to about 2 o'clock and it just died. Completely silent. Submitted RMA and got the new one in. :shock:

When the replacement arrived I plugged in, cranked to about 2 o'clock and it played fine. They fixed the tolex too. Sweet!!! :D

I got it home and there was a nasty vibration coming from the chassis on this unit. It sounded like the tube cycling that has been mentioned before. It is tube vibration and it is coming from the power tubes and the preamp tubes. They are not secured and they rattle and resonate in the cabinet. I secured all the tubes with high temp foam and noticed that the chassis was still rattling. It appears to be a bad chassis design. The size and thickness of the metal is holding the standing waves created when you play. There is nothing loose inside the chassis or the cabinet now that the tubes are secured. Just a bad unit??? bad design???

Just the other day the amp died again. The low end disappeared. The bass knob has no effect. Gain dropped by about 50% and it just sounds terrible. :x

I am still waiting on my DLX module. 4 months and counting. I have an Ultra that the guy had in stock as a loaner.

I will try one more time. This time we are going to request the "6 month" model as opposed to the "1 month" models we've been getting. I iwill test at the store for the vibration too. If it don't work I am moving on.

Anyone else having trouble with the RM20s ????

David

I just recieved another replacement head shell from Randall and all seems well with the tolex. I tried sperating it from the wood which was very easy on the first two head shells and on this one it's not letting go... alsoi there is no lifting or bubbleing that I have noticed to this point in time... thats good news for sure.

Very many thanks go out to Rich Shelby for all his efforts in solving one issue... a very big ONE.

Randall does seem to have what it takes to clear things up so lets see what they do about the Super V module and the reeliability problems with the head.

EVH now has a new amp from the Fender group of companies which I hear is one smoking three channel covering vintage clean and distortion to modern high gain. Thats a big deal in the guitar community. Maybe with the EVH brand of amps consumining a percent of the market share Randall will step up and give us the winning combination which will surely keep them viable in the market which will be better for Randall and ultimatly better for the end user.
I still feel the modular preamp design is one of the best concepts going.

Khing

Latest posts