RT2/50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
I only use my RT2/50 as two fifty watt amps. I use Synergy modules and MTS modules. I put my Fender sounding modules through one side which has 6L6s, and my Marshalls through the other, which has EL34s. I was wondering whether I could further alter the Marshall side of my RT2 to sound more Marshally, and alter the Fender side to sound more Fendery. I recently read an article on negative feedback, link below. Perhaps the answer is building negative feedback into the Marshall side but doing something different on the Fender side.

Does anyone have any ideas how to achieve a more authentic Marshall and Fender sound from this power amp please?

http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/what-is-negative-feedback

I'll preface this with the results are likely to be less drastic than you might think even if you make all the required changes. The main reason being that power amps and tubes do not really show much difference until they are driven to the point of non-linearity, which is much louder volumes than most are likely to use their gear at. Power tubes generally do not show their different characteristics until driven to clipping. Below that, they are nearly identical if used in the same circuit.

That said, there are ways you can modify the amp for more differences than stock:

- On the EL34 side you would need to replace the output transformer with one reflecting the proper primary impedance for a pair of EL34's and change the negative feedback to a value closer reflecting whichever Marshall amp you are hoping to impart the flavor of. Keep in mind the resistor and which secondary tap it's taken from are relevant here.

- On the 6L6 side the B+ would ideally be dropped to around 440VDC, the screens would be changed to 470 ohm resistors and the negative feedback would also be changed to values in the vein of whatever Fender you are fancying.

Also keep in mind that vintage Fender and Marshall amps were non-master volume amps, so that would be closest approximated by running the power amp wide open, the module and rack housing wide open and controlling the level and gain from the module's gain control. Speakers and the enclosure they are mounted in are even bigger variables than anything above. I often tell customers they are the single largest variable in your entire chain and the speaker wall in my showroom proves this daily.

Hope this all helps and at least gives you food for thought.