Randall rt2/50, no output from channel 1

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espeche83

Reaction score
Not sure what happened but I'm getting no output from Channel 1 on my rt2/50. It was working fine the other night. Channel 2 with the EL34's works fine. There are no tube fault indicators on either. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? Read some other threads with similar issues and one guy had an issue with something arcing on the circuit board.

Bummer because I love the way this thing sounds. Also had a double whammy in the same day, I unknowingly hot plugged my MIDI footswitch into my RM4 preamp and now it appears the fuse has blown as there is no phantom power. Had no idea it would do that. Kind of a design choice there that makes you scratch your head.

I had the same issue once.
There is a 12AX7 tube that is shared between the two channels, one side of it has probably blown.
Remember to plug the Midi switch in before you turn the amp on. :D

Sorry, I was half asleep when I answered your post. I should have said that there are three 12AX7 tubes in the back of the RT2\50.
One for each channel and a shared one in the middle. Your problem will be with either the tube that is exclusive to the channel that is not working or with one side of the shared tube in the centre, so try swapping out both.
The tube failure warning lights on the front only let you know when there is a problem with the Power tubes, nothing else.

One other possibility:

I once powered up my RT 2/50 with no speaker load attached. This caused a short across the output speaker jack module, leaving me with no sound on one channel while the other was fine. Not sure if this applies to your situation.