Back to MTS,GSP1101 /pedal pedals question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to use my GSP1101 as an effects rack.It seems really feedbacky(if I can use that term).When I turn it up for a band practise it squeals and has a high pitched squeal that makes it unplayable.If I can't find a solution to this then I want to incorporate a pedalboard instead but....pedals don't work well with the MTS heads.What are you guys using to make your pedalboards work properly with the amp?

I am using the Ebtech Line Level Shifter. It's an inexpensive small passive box that converts line level to instrument level and back. To my ears, it's noise free and I haven't noticed a loss of tone.

Otherwise, you can use TC Electronics toneprint pedals, which can handle a line level signal reportedly. I will give mine a try (Flashback delay and Dreamscape chorus/flanger) without the Ebtech and report back. Two-tone print pedals are nice because you can kill the dry signal and use them in a parallel loop as well.

That would be awesome.If you could tell me how?where in the signal chain to put the LineLevel shifter would be greatly appreciated,thanks for your reply.

It connects in the loop between the head and your pedalboard/effects unit. You will need 2 extra cables to run from the box to the head's effects loop jacks (use the +4db inputs on the Ebtech to connect to the amp). Then plug in your pedalboard send and return to the Ebtech (use the -10db inputs here).

The line level shifter will automatically convert a line level signal to an instrument level signal and back. +4db is line level, -10db is instrument level (i.e. a quieter lower level signal). Hope that helps! If I could figure out how to attach a picture I would show you how mine looks. Let me know if you have any other questions.

My pleasure! By the way, today I tried my TC Electronics Flashback and it does indeed handle the line level effects loop even if I don't use the Ebtech LLS.

Not that I'm encouraging you to buy more pedals, but the TC Electronics stuff is great and should work in the loop with no issues. The toneprint feature where you can beam artist presets and the toneprint editor to create your own sounds are amazing!

Thanks,im gonna try the Ebtech thing.If it for some reason doesn't work for me then i'll try the delay pedal.I appreciate your help

The Ebtech works good.Only issue I have at the moment is, if I plug it into the series loop, the effects work great but I lose my volume by half.If I plug it into the parallel loop, the effects don't work very well at all( I have to turn the volume on my pedals all the way up) and feeds back like crazy, but I get full volume from my amp. Is this a sacrifice that I must make? What's the deal with this and what loop are you guys using for your pedals.

I found that the parallel loop is tricky if you run more than one pedal. The parallel loop is supposed to be for effects that are 100% wet with no dry signal going through. Otherwise, you get weird phasing issues.

The problem is, when you use more than one pedal, killing the dry signal on one means you get basically no send to the next pedal in the chain. I think the parallel loop is really for rack based units only. Here is a great link breaking it down:

https://neunaber.net/blogs/neunaber-audio-blog/the-perilous-parallel-loop

So unfortunately, if you're going to use a bunch of pedals, my understanding is that you have to use the series loop. The Ebtech should work fine, maybe check your patch cables.

Also, what pedals are you using in the loop? Usually you would only use time-based effects (chorus, delay, reverb) or perhaps an EQ.

I would put distortion, wah, compression, boost, phaser, and flanger before the amp, as this is the typical set up for those effects. Any of those things might behave weird when placed in an effects loop.

Mt chain goes....Reverb>Chorus>DDL>+10 LLS,+4LLS >Series effects loop,Guitar goes into head input.On the head itself I have Effects @ 12 o'clock ,Pres @ 5 o'clock , Master @ 10 o'clock and Density @12 o'clock. I have pics but don't know how to post them here

I would wonder if your effects loop tube is bad (V2). Also could be a patch cable issue or whatever you're using to power your pedals. I've not had any problems using the Ebtech in the serial loop, maybe some very slight distortion if the module master volume is all the way up (the module master volume controls the effects loop send to my understanding).

Maybe try troubleshooting those things as well. Oh, and I think you are supposed to turn off the effects return volume when using the series loop. I believe that's just a blend for the parallel loop only.

Thanks everyone that chimed in to help.To update you guys,I decided to get some TC Electronic pedals (as suggested here, thanks BTW) I skipped the EbTech thing and the pedals sound great straight into the effects loop.No suckage of power/volume etc. Thanks for all your help.