quad of kt-88's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus1

Reaction score
i know many people like 2 kt-88's and 2 el34's but has anyone ever ran an rm100 on 4 kt-88's. also are the 88's different from 6550's www.myspace.com/bandxero

6550 tubes are tonally similar to the 6L6 with a scooped voiced crystal clean sound. KT-88's are tonally similar to a KT-66 with a warmer, less crystal clear, sound then a 6550.

you probably should try only two KT-88/6550 first rather than using four-- ...

Unless of course you play stadium sized concerts.

I've been thinking about this myself. I would think it would sound killer. The RM100's have a very large output transformer with tons of headroom and I think the higher powered KT88's would push that transformer even more.

From everything I've read, the KT88's seem to have more character than 6550. 6550's have very high headroom and only break up at very high volume.

MetalMajik said:
I've been thinking about this myself. I would think it would sound killer. The RM100's have a very large output transformer with tons of headroom and I think the higher powered KT88's would push that transformer even more.

From everything I've read, the KT88's seem to have more character than 6550. 6550's have very high headroom and only break up at very high volume.

I'm really curious how you make out, let us know the result if you're going to check out the KT88s. I got the KT77 in my RM50, not that impressed with them, nothing mindblowing, just ok.
KT88 are supposed to be across between a huge bottom end 6L6 and mids and highs of an EL34. It does supposed to sound FAT. Let me know what you find.
T.

i think they should be kick ***, the vht amps come like this and they do sound good, just ordered a quad of eh kt-88's, i'll keep you posted :)

Just read a review from Tubestore.com, it seems that the JJ KT88 has the best imaging, whatever that means. All KT88s seem to provide more tight bass dynamics though.
T.

i strongly advise using 4 kt-88's. the amp sounds the best i think that it can sound after putting in a quad of kt-88's, everything sounds better from top to bottom. the low end crushes , excellent grind, sounds killer, i like the eh's they got good reviews everywhere i checked them out at, the jj were my second choice, i guess either would suit just fine, this is the best my amp has ever sounded so i'm sticking with the quad, no 2 of this and 2 of that, i've done that before and you can't touch the richness and fullness of the quad. they sound similar to el34's but with way more crushing low end , they are loud and aggressive like 34's though

maximus1 said:
i strongly advise using 4 kt-88's. the amp sounds the best i think that it can sound after putting in a quad of kt-88's, everything sounds better from top to bottom. the low end crushes , excellent grind, sounds killer, i like the eh's they got good reviews everywhere i checked them out at, the jj were my second choice, i guess either would suit just fine, this is the best my amp has ever sounded so i'm sticking with the quad, no 2 of this and 2 of that, i've done that before and you can't touch the richness and fullness of the quad. they sound similar to el34's but with way more crushing low end , they are loud and aggressive like 34's though

I know the low end is good with the KT88s. But what about the mids and highs on them? are they still full and rich harmonic spectrum like the EL34s?
Tung

Hey
I have 4 KT88's in my amp and it sounds KILLER. I've had EL34's in the past, those were ok, but with these KT88's the amp sounds much thicker, more 'open' and more body then ever before.

Put them in, you won't regret it. ';]

i agree with nrrrk, they sound better than any other tubes i've tried yet .i biased them a little high, 57, but these tubes are ok for a higher bias plus with the higher power i thought a little earlier breakup would be needed. they sound good at 50 as well but i always like to run anytube a little hotter than what is suggested. as for the mids and highs, they sound awesome as well, i was really suprised that mid range sounded so good, i normally don't get into midrange at all but with these tubes i find myself liking some mids, the highs are nice as well they give the tone nice saturated grind

GtrGear said:
KT88 has an earlier cut-off lowend than E34L and KT77.
Also earlier highend cutoff than KT66, 6L6.
Conclusion: smaller bandwith than any EL34 or 6L6.

Does this mean that the tone is more compressed than EL34? (forgive my ignorance about bandwidth)
T.

For soloing I like the KT88 because of more compression on the high notes.
But EL34 has more grid, growl and dynamics in the mids I like more.
The lows of the KT88 are really chunky in a cool way.
mmm....