Should I get the RM4/RT setup?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixStrRzr

Reaction score
OK, guys,

Almost ready to take the spalsh....semi-pro, 40 years (really) been thru Marshall/Mesa L6, Rivera - play 70's Rock & Blues. Lately, fighting with a Carvin V-3.

I'm taking a serious look at the RM4/RT rig. I need at least 3 or 4 channels, mono (RT can have 34's & 6L6's - ?). Plus, need reliability.

Currently, Prophesy thru 4x10 closed-back Marshall cab.

Is the RM4 for me?

SixStrRzr

Have you considered an Egnater MOD 50? For the money you will drop on that rig, I'd go all the way. Still essentially has 4 channels too.

6-

What ever you decide it will sound killer through that Marshall 4x10 cab. I ran a RM4/RT2-50 rig and my Randall RM50 head through a Marshall 1965A cab (410 slant) and loved it. Some times I run my Mod50 combo thought the Marshall but only when I'm feeling depressed and need a pick me up :)

I'm the new proud owner of a Rm4 and RT2/50 rig myself. I tried as many different heads as I could at various music stores for a year trying to decide which way to go but was not too impressed with most modern amps (Engl, Mesa, Framus etc.) Too "fizzy" in the distortion department and not flexible enough for my liking.
I bought a '65 Bassman off ebay just before I got to borrow the rig I ended up buying and the Tweed module kicked the pants off the original Bassman in terms of tone and clarity.
Do yourself a big favour and get your modules modified by Dave Friedman of Rack systems ltd in Hollywood. I got to A/B my modded SL+ and Plexi with stock versions and wow, what a difference! I hear OKstrat/Pete here does a good job on mods too but I am yet to hear one in person. My modified Plexi and SL+ sounded huge through my RM20 combo, but through the RM4.... I think I just found God. I find myself sitting in front of my rig just playing big power chords and just listening to the harmonics within the sound "massaging" my ears, and it feeds back gloriously at a very low volume.
Now if only I could get somebody to trade my stock Plexi or Tweed for a recto to have modded by Dave, I'd be really happy...........
Oh, and put the RT2/50 in a seperate case to the RM4 unless you are Hercules.

Prickstein said:
I'm the new proud owner of a Rm4 and RT2/50 rig myself. I tried as many different heads as I could at various music stores for a year trying to decide which way to go but was not too impressed with most modern amps (Engl, Mesa, Framus etc.) Too "fizzy" in the distortion department and not flexible enough for my liking.
I bought a '65 Bassman off ebay just before I got to borrow the rig I ended up buying and the Tweed module kicked the pants off the original Bassman in terms of tone and clarity.
Do yourself a big favour and get your modules modified by Dave Friedman of Rack systems ltd in Hollywood. I got to A/B my modded SL+ and Plexi with stock versions and wow, what a difference! I hear OKstrat/Pete here does a good job on mods too but I am yet to hear one in person. My modified Plexi and SL+ sounded huge through my RM20 combo, but through the RM4.... I think I just found God. I find myself sitting in front of my rig just playing big power chords and just listening to the harmonics within the sound "massaging" my ears, and it feeds back gloriously at a very low volume.
Now if only I could get somebody to trade my stock Plexi or Tweed for a recto to have modded by Dave, I'd be really happy...........
Oh, and put the RT2/50 in a seperate case to the RM4 unless you are Hercules.
:D :D :D

My only regret with the RM4/RT2-50 is it weighs a freakin TON!

I would also check out the MOD50.

If you must go the RM4 route, I suggest the M4 so you can use any modules you want including the duals.

Yes, don't plan on putting the RT2/50 in a rack with anything else if you ever plan to pick the rack up. LOL!

I had it racked in a 10 space rack with two RM4s and it was a backbreaker. I've since put the RT2/50 in it's own case. Much better.

That weight issue is what gets me..thats why i am asking advice on a handtruck to carry it all.
But back to topic: I haven't used a MOD50..but I can say that I am pleased with my RM4 and my Rt2/50.
And if you buy them..you can cancel your subscription to the gym because you'll be getting plenty of exercise just lifting them!!!
...unless you get the right hand truck and strap them in...
anybody know a good one for this task??

GtrGeorge! said:
But back to topic: I have used a MOD50..but I can say that I am pleased with my RM4 and my Rt2/50.

Interesting? What are your thought between the two? I'd be very interested in details. Thanks!