Does your RM4 dropout when changing channels?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prickstein

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just started to gig with my RM4 &RT2/50 rig that I bought recently.
I noticed last night though that when I change channels on the RM4, it drops out for a split second. Do all of them do this? I bought mine second hand so it's an older one. Is this something Randall have addressed in newer versions or is there a mod I can do to the unit to get around this?
Cheers,
Rick

The delay should be VERY slight. No more than a few MS like any other amp. Even if the delay is half a second, that's WAY to long. What type of FS are you using? I know that some send out PC and CC in stream that can delay receipt (I know I have heard of the G-System doing this). Does your RT2-50 and any other units change right away?

I had this same issue with my first two RM4's and contacted Randall about it.
They in turn contacted Bruce Egnater; who then told them they needed to replace the Midi controller board; so Randall sent me two little replacement Midi boards (overnight, nonetheless) to solve the problem.
<Axess Electronics is the company that provides the Midi Controller Boards for these>

I installed them with no difficulty and that totally solved the problem; I'm guessing that it was an issue with the very early RM4's because the second two RM4's I had didn't have that problem.

Thanks Rich, thanks Jim,
yes i think mine is one of the first run RM4's. Apparantly it was sent to Australia for a trade show years ago then sat in the warehouse for a couple of years, no one knew what it was until the guy i bought it from acquired it.
How do I go about getting one of these boards for it?
I'm using an old ground control and had no issues with it when I was using my old ADA MP1.
I haven't used the switching on the RT2/50 yet so I don't know if it has the same issue. It is of the same vintage.

It is actually just the uP chip that can be changed. You really don't need to replace the entire board. The dropout is a mute function that occurs automatically any time a module is selected. The original design had a longer mute time that caused it to feel like a long dropout. The sofware has since ben updated with a shorter mute cycle to reduce the dropout. Contact Randall for a new chip. FYI, the purpose of the mute circuit is to insure there are no pops or clicks when switching channels.

egnater

OK, 8 months later and I'm still trying to get some updated uP chips to no avail.
RD/Rich told me he'd send me some in the mail which never turned up.
RD/Steve told me I had to go through a local Randall dealer.
I have had several different Randall dealers call CMI's state rep and leave messages over several months but no joy .
So.... Can anyone help me out and get me some uP chips!!!! Please!!!!!

I could also use one of these better programed chips. The drop out between channels is pretty noticeable on my amp too. I know it has something to do with the way the PIC chip is programmed but I don't have the equipment or the software to change it myself.

Prickstein said:
OK, 8 months later and I'm still trying to get some updated uP chips to no avail.
RD/Rich told me he'd send me some in the mail which never turned up.
RD/Steve told me I had to go through a local Randall dealer.
I have had several different Randall dealers call CMI's state rep and leave messages over several months but no joy .
So.... Can anyone help me out and get me some uP chips!!!! Please!!!!!
I feel your pain bro. been waiting on a Mr. Scary for over 6 months. . . :roll:

Latest posts