What power amps do you use for your RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I use a mesa 20/20 normally but for low volume stuff I have a carvin ss amp to an ADA Microcab and studio monitors

I currently own two Egnater M4's, one is powered with a Mesa Rectifier 2:100 Stereo Power Amp (with EL34's) and my other is powered with a VHT 2/90/2 with KT88's.
I've also got a Mesa 20/20 that works well too, but I've found that the 20/20 doesn't sound so great when using it with my Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12's...but sounds great with my Mesa 2x12.

I've used a Marshall 8008 power amp, works fine, but won't shake your spine like a tube power amp.

I remember when I had my Randall RM4's that I tried powering them with some Crate PowerBlocks and that seemed to sound better to me than any other power amp I tried them with. It was odd, cause I tried it again later with my Egnater M4's and didn't seem to dig it quite as much. Must have been the stars and planets aligning aligning...I haven't tried it in quite a while, maybe I'll compare it again...I remember really really digging that at one time.

I use an Atomic 2x12 50 watt with Celestion Century Vintage 12's in place of the stock speakers. Sounds great. 50 watts from 2 6L6's and it's all in one package on wheels.

Count me in the RT 2/50 club. Also used a Mesa 2:90 but the RT sounded better.

Pete

and I tried few other things..but the combination really is SOMETHING. Its an instrument unto itself,imho.
But I never heard the CRATES and I wondered if they were up to the task. The only ones I saw were broken in pawn shops...bad sign? I wanted to try a Marshall 8008 SS poweramp..buta guy got to it before me..**** pawn shops!!!
Any alternative ideas to the HEAVY and BIG RT2/50???

GtrGeorge! said:
and I tried few other things..but the combination really is SOMETHING. Its an instrument unto itself,imho.
But I never heard the CRATES and I wondered if they were up to the task. The only ones I saw were broken in pawn shops...bad sign? I wanted to try a Marshall 8008 SS poweramp..buta guy got to it before me..**** pawn shops!!!
Any alternative ideas to the HEAVY and BIG RT2/50???

Solid state amps sound like crap with our RM rigs. Only thing I'd consider is maybe a mesa 20/20, but my RT2/50 sounds pretty small with EL84s (and the THD yellowjackets) vs the 6L6, EL34 or KT88 power tubes. I've been meaning to build a single ended stereo power amp (all tube) when I get the time, but been too busy. I built a guy a 3 watt one that ran a 6V6 for recording purposes a few years back, it was pretty sweet.

Pete

paul525715 said:
RM4 in Gt-Pro loop into Marshall 9200. Sounds **** good to my ears.

Paul

SWEET now we need a GT-Pro club around these parts. For some reason they just don't get the respect they deserve :evil:

To stay on topic...I've had 3 Crate Power Blocks over the course of a year and a half. They actually aren't bad little power amps and you can't beat how lightweight they are. Unfortunately every one that I have owned has taken a dump on me. Luckily they were covered under warranty but since the company has been purchased, they have change the way they service customer repairs and have made it increasingly difficult to get anything taken care of. Now my 3rd one is also a brick so if anybody needs a paperweight w/ a cool blue LED that starts to smoke after 5 minutes, hit me up.

the options the rt2/50 gives makes it the perfect match. you can switch channels, use different tubes, its midi...the list goes on and on. i don't know how you could not use the rt2/50 with it.

some prefer the sound of other power amps, and i respect that. but the flexability an rt2/50 has is really unprecidented. it's a shame not to utilize all the features both the rm4 and rt2/50 give you together.

RD/Steve said:
it's a shame not to utilize all the features both the rm4 and rt2/50 give you together.

Please explain that to my woman. Convince her I need an HDTV too. Im not having much luck. :(

Drew said:
RD/Steve said:
it's a shame not to utilize all the features both the rm4 and rt2/50 give you together.

Please explain that to my woman. Convince her I need an HDTV too. Im not having much luck. :(

Over here too while you are at it please! :)
My lady is also the singer for our band, so she understands more than most. But she has a point: my current rig sounds great as is.

and you know what...the rig probably does sound great just the way it is.

what is it with us guitarists? we are complete menaces when it comes to gear. i have guys come up and say my rig sounds huge, then i change it. sometimes less is more.

it might be best to just stick with what you got.

Let's see... Married to the first wife 15 years.... Don't miss her at all. Custom shop Les Paul I bought new in 1970... Still have it. My second wife.... Best person I know. Then I bought the RM4, RT2/50, RM50, a GWSA (Kendrick) 12 modules, 2410 (Kendrick) LP Custom shop special x2, '61 SG, Tele Custom,etc., all left handed,......... Life's short. All the best! Merry Christmas! Pat L.