6V6's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
After checking with Bob at Eurotubes.com I've ordered a matched pair of 6V6's to try in my RM50HB. Bias between .18 and .25

I'll record before and after clips.

I slapped a pair of 5881's in my RM100 yesterday and wow! I've got the JJ EL34s in the middle and the two 5881s on the outside. Its got way more bass than before. Really changed the recto module.

The 6v6's should bring the watts down to about 25 watts which would keep me from having to carry the Hotplate - potentially.

So I dropped the JJ 6V6's in tonight. WOW, volume was the same as the E34L's with the HotPlate on 8%.

Less bass, more midrange. Can't wait to try it with the band as I should cut through much better. Good grind and crunch - I'm not into really heavy distortion - could nail AC/DC and Green Day tones all day.

Hopefully we will do some more recording and I can get sound clips.

First full band rehearsal with the 6V6's last night. The mid hump of the 6V6 really helped to cut through the mix. After the first tune everyone asked what I had done to the rig because it was the best I'd sounded.

Only change was the tubes, no changes to the module settings.

If I were to put 6v6's in my Rm100 - do I need to replace all 4 tubes?

You can probably replace 2 and have a blended pair. Just remember the JJ's are the only 6V6's that can handle the load.

Thanks. Just wasn't sure whether to get matched pair or matched quad.

If your trying to lower the overall wattage I would get the matched quad.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to get a matched quad set from Eurotubes.

I finally ordered a JJ 6v6 pair. My ears will thank you for the info Ned. :)

I put the JJ 6v6's in tonight. . wow!!! They sound pretty darn good. They start cooking pretty heavily at about 12 o'clock (as opposed to 3 o'clock with the 6l6's). The volume is about 8dB quieter. With the combo of 6v6 and a HotPlate at -8dB, I get a really good tone at a reasonable volume. If I need it quieter, I can drop to -12dB or even -16dB, but there is definitely some tone sucking starting to occur at those levels.

At the end of the day, I'm at about the same volume for these two situations where the second case sounds much more like a cranked amp eq-wise:

1) 6l6 and hotplate at -16dB
2) 6v6 and hotplate at -8dB

In the end, I'm likely to run at -8dB or maybe -12dB on the hotplate with 6v6's. -8dB sounds perfect to my ears, but -12dB will probably make my ears happier in the long run.

Hmm, one of the JJ 6v6's blew tonight. . only lasted about 10 days. Has this been your experience Ned? I had the amp at 50% on the master, and the bias was in range. . maybe I should bias them down a bit next time?

No mine have lasted no problem. I'm biased at about .22

Could have just been a bad tube.