Cheap low noise effects processors for RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unconventional

Reaction score
Ok, I've been battling with this for a while with different rigs. Pedals suck and floorboards I do not like such as line 6 and whatnot. So although I did not want to do this, I'm going rackmount.

Here's the deal. I am very very very fussy. In fact so fussy about tone loss, I'm contemplating not using any effects.

I only need delay and reverb really and a simple setup. I focus 99% of my energy on playing rhythm and don't want to mess with setups and wires and the like.

So, here's what I'm contemplating getting. TC Electronics G-sharp
G_Sharp_front-ff9421e31b96b505335967cb9a9ed91b.jpg

G_Sharp_03_over.jpg

and

TC_Final-part320-009883-253f9d4f90083973f605dc9bcf355a4b.jpg

Just a simple foot switch that will switch between delay + reverb and bypass.

Does anyone know if I'm better to hook something like this up to parallel loop, serial loop or use the 4 cable method I hear of but know nothing about?

What would be the best way to hook this up with no tone loss.

Thanks in advance.

I hear good things about TC electronics but never used any of their equipment. Sorry for the huge pics.

Got rid of the pedals, they suck. The line leveler worked the problem is this. Serial loop = more volume from pedals but major tone suck.

Parallel loop = can hardly hear the pedals.

Returned the Electroharmonix pedals and got a Boss ME-50 foot pedal multi-effects. Same thing. Serial loop = major tone loss, parallel loop, can't hear the effect hardly.

If the rackmounted doesn't work (G-sharp) and sucks my tone, I'm not using effects any longer.

Good luck with your g-sharp, It looks like a nice unit. Be sure to use the killdry button when placing it in the parrallel loop. From experience I would suggest the Rocktron xpression. It is fairly simple to operate and has been proven to be a good match for the MTS gear.

Why the parallel loop and not the serial loop?

What about the 4 cable method?

I hope I don't have the same issue with this thing where I can hardly hear any effect.

I haven't tried the G sharp, however, i had the g major and sold it because to me, the tone loss was noticeable enough. I know lots of people love the unit with amps with footswitchable fx loops but the randalls don't have it and the loop itself isn't too clean + the g-major isn't the most transparent either so i ended up with a 1+1 scenario that i didn't particularly like.

If you don't wanna go out and spend the big bux on the g system or g force, get yourself an old rocktron intellifex or the replifex. Their interface is a little harder to dial and they aren't as pretty or flashy as the tc but for the money they are much more transparent. I had an expression but i really disliked how cheap it felt (just the best way of putting it) and both of these units feel much better imho and sound much warmer.

I'd use the Lexicon MX200 on a budget. Absolutely go parallel loop and run the fx full wet. Keeps you away from phasing issues.

If you can go up in price the TC M-One is killer.

Robert

The 4 cable method is something that's done with a Boss GT-8 ( or GT-10 ) and are the only units I know of that can do this correctly. It places the MTS preamp in the effects loop of the GT-8. This allows different effects to be placed before and/or after the MTS preamp.

unconventional said:
Why the parallel loop and not the serial loop?

What about the 4 cable method?

I hope I don't have the same issue with this thing where I can hardly hear any effect.

You could put it in the serial loop though I dont see any reason to. The parralell loop keeps your origional signal intact. With the serial loop you will be running your entire sound through the processor.

Soulinsane said:
The 4 cable method is something that's done with a Boss GT-8 ( or GT-10 ) and are the only units I know of that can do this correctly. It places the MTS preamp in the effects loop of the GT-8. This allows different effects to be placed before and/or after the MTS preamp.

Actually the GT8/GT10 don't really do this correctly... they were designed to have a pedal in the loop instead of a preamp (line-level device), and can suck some pretty major tone if you don't invest a lot of time in optimizing levels (or cheat and get an Ebtech Line Level Shifter).

SacredGroove said:
4 cable method is for preamp/FX processors in 1 box, such as, GSP1101, MPX-G2,...

Yeah, now those are devices that were actually designed to be used with the 4-cable method, since they send/return the correct levels for connecting to preamps.

--B

Well, I don't know this stuff too well. At least with the pedals and the Boss ME-50 with the parallel loop I could hardly hear the effects. Even when 100% wet.

I'm hoping the processor is different. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake with the TC. All I hear is TC this, TC that and now I suddenly hear otherwise. If this does not work, I give up on effects with this RM-4

I run the TC G system 4 cable method in my M4 RT/250 and it works just fine.I ran it with the RM100 when I had it and it worked great too..

+1 on the G system. Just make sure whatever effect you place in the parallel loop is 100% wet. If the effect itself is not 100% wet you can crank the parallel loop all the way and it will still sound weak.

Well, I'm not getting a g system, but a g sharp. About $1200 difference.

When you say effect 100% wet, like say I'm using delay, or chorus, I'd set the level of the effect to 100%?

unconventional said:
Well, I'm not getting a g system, but a g sharp. About $1200 difference.

When you say effect 100% wet, like say I'm using delay, or chorus, I'd set the level of the effect to 100%?

If you're going to use the parallel loop with the G-Sharp then make sure the Killdry switch on the rear is on. That will give you 100% wet effect in the G-Sharp. Then you can control the overall wet/dry mix from the effects dial on the front of the RM4. In the G-Sharp, you can control the level of each effect.

SacredGroove said:
unconventional said:
Thanks. So no need for the 4cm with the effects processor, that's mainly for floor units that were made for the 4cm?

The 4cm is for processors that have their own loops to insert your preamp into, whether it be floor or rack processors.

Ok, finally it makes sense. Thanks

Latest posts