is the rm20 for me?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAL2001

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First time posting and need some expert advise.

I'm looking to buy a new amp and am very interested in the MTS line especially the rm20 head. This amp will be used ONLY for recording purposes so I don't think high power is needed.

The reason for my post is.....confession time....although I've been messing around on guitar for over 20 years I have never owned an all tube amp. Because of this I don't have any real knowledge of what I NEED in order to get the sound I want. I have heard that a tube amp and the distortion it produces sound best when there is a fair amount of power amp distortion along with some pre amp distortion...which as you all know occurs at higher volumes.

Can the rm20 sound as good as it's bigger brothers? I'm looking at the MTS series because it's all tube and very versatile, I need something that can go from crystal clean to down-tuned molten mayhem. If I put the rm20 through a quality 1x12, 2x12 or even 4x12 cab can I get all that I need?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!

Scott

my rm100 sounds great at low volumes, so I imagine the 20 is smokin'

Tube amps are so reactive, if you're angry, happy, sad, the tubes just mimic emotions so well

thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to getting into the all tube game.

So you think a cranked rm20 with the right module will satisfy my need for aggresive down-tuned tones?

Hey Scott,Welcome to the forum!I've never tried the RM20 but I have ran the Mod50 with EL84's at it flat kicks ***!

A lot of good stuff has been recorded with one of these rigs. The latest Kings X and some Skid Row, of note that I know of. There is a page with sounds samples of a lot of the modules so you can get an idea of what they sound like.

The RM20 head would probably be a good choice for you. I tried the RM100 and prefer the RM20 for studio use as you can push the power tubes without being deafeningly loud.

I ultimately plan to pick up an RT2/50 as well so that I can have more tonal options with 6L6\EL34 power tubes, but my RM20 head is doing great for now. I have 4x12's with Vintage 30's and Greenbacks along with an open-back Avatar loaded with Celestion Alnico Blue's - the combinations of modules/power tubes/speakers I'll have is fantastic for the studio.

I have one of these and they sound fantastic. Just so you know, if you crank this amp, it is still quite loud. I have the combo and have used it with the built in Greenback as well as with a Mesa Recto Cab with 2 12" V30's, sounds great with both, just different. This amp has a XLR direct recording out connector that can be ran straight into your recording rig with the speaker off, and it sounds the same as sticking a SM57 in front of the combo amp. I can't say enough good things about the RM20.

mac

Yeah, the RM20 is still gonna be a lot louder than you'd like for recording. I know Zvex makes a head that is like 1/4 watts, that should be great for recording :p . With a tube power section, you really need to crank the volume to get the best sound, which I'm sure you already knew. I'd say get the RM20, and replace the stock speaker with a really low wattage speaker, because pushing the speaker(s) is half the battle in great recorded tone, and a low wattage speaker will get you there at a lot less volume. Of course, the speaker could blow, but that's the risk you run :D . That's my two cents.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for the responses. Based on your opinions I think I'm sold.

jmgman70,ffaudio,fishtank and mackid, that's what's really drawing me to this rig...the flexability and the reletively low wattage. I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that you can get an RM4 and run it into the rm20 and basically use the rm20's power amp stage and have a lower wattage rig with tons of versatility. If that's true that would be great, kind of like a stepping stone up to the RM4 / RT2/50 combo. Compared to offerings from other companies, the MTS series stuff seems like a no-brainer, especially for what I need - great tone and flexability...without having to take out a second mortgage!

NCdan , thanks for your two cents! I'll be OK with a certain amount of volume as I have one room in the basement just about totally sound proofed. I have a 60 watt amp now (non-tube) that you can hear upstairs when it's just about maxed out so I figure the RM20 running some sort of cab at even half volume should sound better and still fall within my volume limitations.

Now...what to buy for a cab? The only cab I've ever owned was a Carvin Steve Vai 2X12 loaded w/ celestions...vintage 30's I think. Would a 4x12 be overkill for recording? I've heard good things about Avatar stuff...how to they compare with Randall's offerings?

Thanks again for all the help guys,

Scott

Hi, HAL2001, realizing that 4x12's were just, well, useless for recording :p , I went on a quest to find the ultimate recording cabinet. Not wanting to drop the big bucks on one of those isolation cabinets (Randall makes two of them, I believe; I'd LOVE to invest in one someday), I decided to go with a Rocktron Velocity cabient (1x12) due to the great reviews. Sure, I was skeptical, especially for the money, but I figured I could always replace the speaker, and WOW, this thing kicks butt. Their "special design speaker" really does kick Celestion, Eminence, etc... to the curb. Very powerful, grinding tone with more low end than you'd think is possible from a 1x12. I'm sure this has something to do with the cabinet design. You can check out the specs here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Velocity-S112-Cabinet?sku=601500 Hey, for less than $200, you can't go wrong. I was pleasantly surprised, and it works great for recording. If you listen to real, experienced recording engineers, they'll tell you that 99% of the time they will use a 1x12 to record if the guitarist will allow it. Well, that's my advice, take it or leave it.