RM100/RM4 Midi Guide

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RD/Steve

Reaction score
Below is a MIDI guide for those who go in that direction. I felt it needed a sticky for quick reference.

MIDI FOOT CONTROLLER:
Please make sure the amplifier is OFF when plugging in or unplugging the 7-PIN MIDI cable. Once plugged in the amplifier sends power to the MIDI foot controller, so plugging in the footswitch when the amp is ON could send a power surge that could potentially blow the fuse in the MIDI circuit.

MIDI CHANNEL SWITCHING:

If there are 3 preamps(RM100) or 4 preamps(RM4) installed; pressing & releasing the Channel Select switch within half-a-second will change the channel from 1 to 2, pressing & releasing again 2 to 3, and again 3 to 4, and once again 4 to 1.

SAVING A PRESET ON THE RM100:
Pressing and holding the channel select switch for 2 seconds will store the current setting.

? Press button 1 on the foot controller then using the channel select button on the amp, make channel 1 is on. If so, press and hold the channel select button for 2 seconds to store.
? Now, press button 2 on the foot controller. If the amp does not automatically switch to channel 2, switch the amp to channel 2 using the front panel channel select button. Once the footswitch and amp are both on channel 2, press and hold the channel select button for 2 seconds to store.
? Now, press button 3 on the foot controller. If the amp does not automatically switch to channel 3, switch the amp to channel 3 using the front panel channel select button. Once the footswitch and amp are both on channel 2, press and hold the channel select button for 2 seconds to store.

MIDI CHANNEL SELECTION:

The MIDI Channel (1 - 16) is selected via an internal four position DIP switch (S1). The MIDI Channel must be selected with the power off.

CHAN. S1-4 S1-3 S1-2 S1-1
1 on on on on
2 on on on off
3 on on off on
4 on on off off
5 on off on on
6 on off on off
7 on off off on
8 on off off off
9 off on on on
10 off on on off
11 off on off on
12 off on off off
13 off off on on
14 off off on off
15 off off off on
16 off off off off

MIDI (RECEPTION) IMPLEMENTATION:

The EMB board recognizes Program Changes or (NOT both) Control Changes on a pre-selected MIDI Channel, see above for ?MIDI Channel Selection?.

Program Changes 1 to 128 select EMB presets 1 to 128, which are saved in EEPROM memory.

Control Change #56 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 1.
Control Change #57 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 2.
Control Change #58 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 3.
Control Change #59 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 4.

The first valid MIDI message (Program Change or Control Change) that the EMB board receives will determine how it responds to subsequent MIDI messages. For example; (a) if the first MIDI message the EMB board receives is a Program Change, then it will ONLY respond to Program Changes, ALL Control Change messages will be ignored (b) if the first MIDI message the EMB board receives is a Control Change, then it will ONLY respond to Control Changes, ALL Program Change messages will be ignored.

*** For users of the DMC Ground Control, Control Changes #56 - #61 correspond to GCX #4 Loops 1 - 6, latched.

Pressing and holding the channel select switch for 2 seconds will store the current setting.

what to do if that doesn't work??

mertal said:

what to do if that doesn't work??

It should be the channel switch on the amp that you press.

Select the midi program with the footswitch, then select the amp channel with the button on the RMxx, then press and hold that button.
There's no feedback (blinking led or something), so just check it my switching to and fro on the footswitch. ;)

Hi guys,

I've had my RT2/50 for about 2 years and I've never been able to get the channel switching to work on it... until now! Mainly because I've not had the time to and I've not been gigging for a while so have had no need to.

I thought I would share this information with everyone as this has driven me mad for some time.

The image below shows the dip switch settings for the amp to receive on channel 16. This is the default apprently.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I use a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro, I set a device up on this to talk on channel 16 and followed the procedure outlined in the RT2/50 manual to program the power amp channels and hey presto it worked!

I've seen various people post on the forum that they found their RM4 or RT2/50 was set up to receive on a certain MIDI channel - a quick inspection of the dip switches inside could save hours of trial and error.
(All dip switches in the down position is channel 16, all in the up position is channel 1)

I hope you find this useful. :D

I'm really happy I've got mine working after all this time!

What about the 2 dip switches on the upper right labeled 1 and 2? What do they do? What does the RM100 and RM4 come set from the Factory at?

ibenhad said:
What about the 2 dip switches on the upper right labeled 1 and 2? What do they do? What does the RM100 and RM4 come set from the Factory at?
They relate to the power on the 7 pin midi cable.

The dip switches switch the power to different pins (for if you have gear that requires phantom power on the other pins)
I don't know exactly which positions = which pins, but the info is somewhere... ;)
You could switch this to get power through a 5 pin cable.

Also:
Most RM4's are set to midi channel 1
Most RT2/50's are set to channel 16
RM100's seem also to be channel 16 mostly.

Hi guys!
Trying to connect RM4 and GCP /7pin to 7pin cable/ with no sucsess...
After epic fight with the 25 screws I found two groups of dip switches - a red one with two dip switches 1&2 and orange one with four dip switches 1&2&3&4. Which of them must be ON?
I'm totally MIDI newbie...
At this time I want to use my GCP right out the box to select the four RM4 chanels.
Thank you in advance!

I MISSED THIS BY 1 DAY F^%K Guy already packed it up

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/2979954022.html

First off, I know next to nothing about how MIDI actually works. Now, I just got back to my old Lexicon MPX G2 with a MPX R1 MIDI controller, and I want to use it with the RM4 preamp. I understand I have to set compatible MIDI channels on both. I also understand I have options of sending program change or control change in order to change RM4 channels. Anyone has any tips on how to hook it up?? Specifically, if I want to to send program change messages (0-127) to switch channels of the RM4, and simultaneously change presets on the G2, how can that be done, when the user-presets of the G2 that are usable are numbered 251-300 (1-250 are factory presets). where the first 2 digits are the bank number (25 to 30) and the last one is the program (0-9) within each bank??

mfgobbi said:
First off, I know next to nothing about how MIDI actually works. Now, I just got back to my old Lexicon MPX G2 with a MPX R1 MIDI controller, and I want to use it with the RM4 preamp. I understand I have to set compatible MIDI channels on both. I also understand I have options of sending program change or control change in order to change RM4 channels. Anyone has any tips on how to hook it up?? Specifically, if I want to to send program change messages (0-127) to switch channels of the RM4, and simultaneously change presets on the G2, how can that be done, when the user-presets of the G2 that are usable are numbered 251-300 (1-250 are factory presets). where the first 2 digits are the bank number (25 to 30) and the last one is the program (0-9) within each bank??

Get a midi controller that allows you to assign the devices to differing midi channels and then you can send them anything you like independently.

I use the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro - works like a charm!

webrthomson said:
I use the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro - works like a charm!

So do I, with a MPX G2

I set it up that PGM change only switches the RM4 and CC change switches FX on/off on the MPX, since loading PGM changes on it leaves a gap

Though I would've liked to set up for pure CC control,
the GCP apparently requires selecting a PGM number from the start and as such, the RM will not respond to CC commands anymore

Been a while since I dove into the G2, perhaps it's possible to use the G2's midimapping to switch the RM4
but that'll probably require some digging into the manual

I just bought a USM-RF3 pedal for my Randall to switch channels. However, when I plug the 7 pin midi cable into the midi thru I get nothing. The foot switch doesn't even power. I e-mailed randall and they informed me that the RM100 will power the pedal. Is this an indication of a bad fuse? If so, is this an easy fix?

geetarpro said:
I just bought a USM-RF3 pedal for my Randall to switch channels. However, when I plug the 7 pin midi cable into the midi thru I get nothing. The foot switch doesn't even power. I e-mailed randall and they informed me that the RM100 will power the pedal. Is this an indication of a bad fuse? If so, is this an easy fix?

Probably a blown fuse on the midi board. That can happen if you connect the footswitch while the amp is powered on. After you replace the fuse, always make sure the amp is off before connecting the footswitch.

Has Egnater made a Midi add on product that allows you to use more modules and just the three inside Randall head? I'm not sure if the RM4 would suffice,
But I'm looking for a rack mountable product that would allow me to use five or seven modules at once, and of course switch them through a midi device.
Please let me know, thank you.