OD Pedal (Zvex Box of Rock) vs A Third Module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you buy first?

• Zvex Box of Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Used High Gain Module

• Other OD/Boost Pedal (please specify)

• Total voters

funkywrench

Reaction score
I've just bought an RM-50 that came with Blackface and Plexi modules. I have a small amount of cash leftover and I'm debating whether to use the funds to buy a third module used or an OD pedal (probably something like the Zvex Box of Rock).

As I mentioned in another thread, I'd like to have three or four basic tones at my disposal; a pristine clean, a mild OD, a classic rock distortion, and a higher gain rock/metal distortion.

I think if I was to buy a high gain module I could cover at least three of these tones (but probably would need to swap modules depending on which tones are needed for a song). With an OD, I could probably get all four tones I want, but I'm not sure how the amp would react with an OD/Boost and whether it would sound as good as the dedicated module.

If I opt with the OD pedal I may still buy another module down the track but it wouldn't be for a little while.

What do you guys think is a better choice for the time being?

I dont know how much of a metal tone you can pry out of a plexi, but the modules work very well with a boost. At least for me. Im not familiar with that OD pedal. Im sure it will work fine. I use a turbo rat and my buddy uses a TS9 and they both work great with the amp. using a boost is cool because it kind of allows you to get 2 sounds out of each module. A low gain and a high gain tone. Turn your gain down on the mod. kick in the pedal set for a slightly overdriven tone with the output boosted. Then start turning up the gain on the mod. watch the treble- it can get a little wild.

if you are thinking about adding a higher gain module to work with the pedal boost, try SL+ or KH-2

I boost my PLEXI with a modded TS-9 and/or an SD-1 and I can get really close to that JCM 800 sound, kinda slayerish. I know no-one believes me when I say that but its the truth.

I say Boost, then get a high gainer, then get an RM4. LOL

I have the same set up as you and I use a Barber Direct Drive which i use for a boost and I use it with the Blackface for my heavier songs.

chasing shadows said:
I have the same set up as you and I use a Barber Direct Drive which i use for a boost and I use it with the Blackface for my heavier songs.
Blackface for heavy? Where can i check out that OD?

StrangeLand said:
I have a Box of Rock and use it to boost my Plexi and 1086. Its a cool pedal.

Cool, do you have any clips of the with the plexi boosted by the BoR?

Seems like a boost/OD pedal may be more versatile than a new module. I'm thinking about a few other options to the BoR too. I like the clips I've heard of the Fulltone OCD and the MI Audio TubeZone so I'll keep any eye out for those too. Can anyone suggest any other good boosts that aren't closely based on the tubescreamer sound?

As I understand it, the Box of Rocks does killer tone on it's own into a clean channel too...I'd certainly like to own one at some point.

BoR into a Blackface sounds great. It also sounds great into a Brahma. IMHO/IME it doesn't work the same kind of magic running it into a high gain module unless you just want to use the boost in moderation for a little bit of extra gain.

I built a TS9 clone to Keeley specs, and that gets the plexi to a good early 80's metal Jake E. Lee/ DiMartini tone, I suppose you could try for heavier tone with this setup, but using different higher gain modules with gain set low and an OD to get a few different tones, I've realized with the randall stuff it's a lot of tweaking, or a guess and test scenario rather than a plug and play setup. Your best option is to experiment.

TheHunter said:
I boost my PLEXI with a modded TS-9 and/or an SD-1 and I can get really close to that JCM 800 sound, kinda slayerish. I know no-one believes me when I say that but its the truth.

I say Boost, then get a high gainer, then get an RM4. LOL
I believe this....I just got a JTM and boost it and it can do the "plexi" tones but nothing really over the top. But I had the Modded Brahma and ran a boost in front and it could cover everything from Early Metallica to Kiss.
I would get a boost pedal.

Its hard to know what to suggest. It would help me to know what pickups you use, and what speakers you play out of. Also: is there an artsist who has a sound you'd like to get near?
As for me, I collect lots of pedals. Many ODs and dist pedals. And while they are cool...I prefer having an extra channel on my Randall. But thats just me, and my ears.
I have posted before that I think Randall NEEDS to make a 3 channel 50 watt MTS combo, with a 12 ...just for guys like you and me.
In the meantime I schlep around my RM4.

But to throw out some ideas: if you really want a modern distortion pedal the MT-2 by Boss still does a very good job and is quite flexible. Very Metallica (which if you dont have a KH module..you may like those sounds in yout arsenal). Also the Ibanez TK666 pedal (which actually uses a 12ax7 tube) is an excellent overdrive to distortion pedal. Its a Marshally kind of sound. The pedal is versatile with it tone controls, and new units have a built in noise gate. But it doesnt run on batteries...gotta have a wall wart.
But as I said..there are soooo many choices (which I think is geat,actually) so if u can give me some more info and I'll make better recomendations. Thopse last 2 were off the top of my head, not knowing big aspects of your rig.
Have a great day...keep rockin'
GtrGeorge

Try an Ibanez Super Metal (SM-9) vintage 1980s. They go on ebay for about $150.

Failing that go for another module. Still I like a tubescreamer in fromt of any of them for a quick gain boost.