Anybody here ever compare a RM4 to a Rm50? Opinions??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
I love my rm4 but its such a hassle carrying it, the RT250 and the speakers cab everywhere I go.
Now I realize its 2 LESS preamp slots, BUT, that said..
anybody ever compare them for sound? Ever sell your Rm4 to go with an rm50?
I wonder if you'd miss the 2 slots, at your gigs (like in a cover band).
Any opinions??? -GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
I love my rm4 but its such a hassle carrying it, the RT250 and the speakers cab everywhere I go.
Now I realize its 2 LESS preamp slots, BUT, that said..
anybody ever compare them for sound? Ever sell your Rm4 to go with an rm50?
I wonder if you'd miss the 2 slots, at your gigs (like in a cover band).
Any opinions??? -GtrGeorge

I have both. The RM50 has a volume boost that you can footswitch, so that helps me if I want to save my back and still use a Randall. The RM100 and a rack with the RM4/RT 2-50 setup are both very heavy and a pain to carry to a gig. With a decent overdrive pedal, you can run a clean module (or cleanish one that you can back up your volume control on the guitar for) and an overdrive - that gives you 2-3 tones right there, then have a heavy distortion module for leads.

Pete

And when you get older... RM20 combo - Plexi module (just on the hairy edge of overdrive) with a Barber Direct Drive for OD/Dist and Boss Blues Driver for lead boost

I've gone from RM4 driving a Mesa 20:20 with a 2x12 Carvin Vai cab to the RM50 and then down to the RM20. Lighter load with no delta in sound quality - just the loss of module options.

I still have most of my modules and my RM50 at home, but it hasn't gone out for over a year. The RM20 is used at practice and for gigs. If I need more power than it alone can provide, there are are enough PA channels to mic it.

We play classic rock and everyone in the band thinks my tone is the best they have ever heard. Plus, the other two guitarists have solid state 100W heads and I can knock them out hands down!