Mic Eliminator

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarge

Reaction score
Anyone got any clips they have recorded using the mic elimnator?

Is this a good feature that can really take the place of micing a cab, or just something you do when you need to keep the volume down?

Is the signal coming out of the mic eliminator the preamp section only? Meaning is any influence on tone from the power amp section skipped?

Sorry for all the questions, but this feature has me interested.

Great feature IMO

i heard it's supposed to emulate a sm57 in front of a Vintage 30 ...and i believe that is resonably accurate

so if that's what you got for a set up or are you to recording you'll get along just fine with it...

i've recorded both and panned them left/right and it's hard to tell which is which .... sorry i have no clips at this time to prove my opinion
in the future i will post some audio of the mic eliminator as i'm using it to record or bands demos !

oh yeah it's great for LIVE performance !!!!!

riff man said:
Great feature IMO

i heard it's supposed to emulate a sm57 in front of a Vintage 30 ...and i believe that is resonably accurate

so if that's what you got for a set up or are you to recording you'll get along just fine with it...

i've recorded both and panned them left/right and it's hard to tell which is which .... sorry i have no clips at this time to prove my opinion
in the future i will post some audio of the mic eliminator as i'm using it to record or bands demos !

oh yeah it's great for LIVE performance !!!!!

Do you know if it skips the power amp section?

This is of specific interest to me because if it does, that means there would be no difference between using an Rm100 (6L6) or RM20 (EL84).

The reason this is important is that I play mainly metal (though not exclusive), and I have read (on this board as well) that the EL84's do not do metal very well.

Yes the Mic Eliminator takes its signal from AFTER the power amp section.

It does indeed sound awesome. I actually prefer to use the Mic Eliminator live or a drunk sound guy who doesn;t really care if he mics the cabs logo or the speaker. I also use the Mic Eliminator to feed my IEM's. Sound wise I think it's slightly warmer sounding than a SM57 on a V30, but not muddy.

Here's some clips a did FOREVER ago with the Mic Eliminator. It should give you a general idea of what they sound like.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6089610
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6079982

RD/Rich said:

It does indeed sound awesome. I actually prefer to use the Mic Eliminator live or a drunk sound guy who doesn;t really care if he mics the cabs logo or the speaker. I also use the Mic Eliminator to feed my IEM's. Sound wise I think it's slightly warmer sounding than a SM57 on a V30, but not muddy.

Here's some clips a did FOREVER ago with the Mic Eliminator. It should give you a general idea of what they sound like.

Sounds real good!

But since the signal is taken from after the poweramp section, I suspect there would be a noticable difference in tone say if you were to use an RM20 with EL84's as opposed to an RM50 or 100 with 6L6's.

Have you found this to be the case?

RD/Rich said:

Nice clips Rich! :shock: :shock: ...awesome tone!

sarge said:
RD/Rich said:

Sounds real good!

But since the signal is taken from after the poweramp section, I suspect there would be a noticable difference in tone say if you were to use an RM20 with EL84's as opposed to an RM50 or 100 with 6L6's.

Have you found this to be the case?

Thanks for the kind words guys! :D

Oh absolutely, but it's kind of a good thing. Actually I don't think the EL84's are THAT bad, especially if you are recording. You'll be able to fudge things a little with EQ. Also, EL34's and 84's are great for leads because they really cut through a mix. If you are just doing metal rhythm, 6L6's are the way to go.

Is it true that the Mic Eliminator is a little larger than your stock speaker connection? I'd heard that, whether or not it's true. But rather than take the chance I got a Radial Passive JDI box and have used that with one end connected to my speaker and the XLR out connected to my MAudio Black Box. Sounded pretty good to me.

Julia said:
Is it true that the Mic Eliminator is a little larger than your stock speaker connection? I'd heard that, whether or not it's true. But rather than take the chance I got a Radial Passive JDI box and have used that with one end connected to my speaker and the XLR out connected to my MAudio Black Box. Sounded pretty good to me.

Radial makes the JDX to do the exact thing the Mic Elim does. Behringer even has a version, the GI100, if you're looking for something cheap. I've never used either so can't speak to their quality.

I put a mic elim in a Marshall 1960 cab and had to enlarge the hole for the jackplate. I'm sure the same would be true of most cabs.

The RM20 has a great 'silent' mode where you can just run the mic elim without the speaker to record silently.

The Radial JDI is good quality. It takes the signal right out the output jack on the speaker cabinet and you use the PAD to get it to usable levels. I've used it and I like it. I had been considering getting the Mic Eliminator, but would have ended up having to have someone do the modification on the back of my speaker cabinet.

PhiloBeddoe said:
Julia said:
The RM20 has a great 'silent' mode where you can just run the mic elim without the speaker to record silently.

Anyone have any clips of this?

This is really where I am leaning.

With the wife and kid, this feature would be awesome. But it has to sound good!

I designed that for Randall. Ty Tabor (King's X) uses them in his live rig. I believe Dan Donegan may also be using them. I'm sure there are others. It really does sound very good. Eliminates the variations caused by an improperly placed mic. Of course, that never happens when you play live........ha! Sound guys love them because they simply plug the mic cable into the back of the cabinet instead of dealing with live mic headaches. The soundman for King's X showed me that the guitar channels were the only ones that had the EQ set flat.

Bruce Egnater

If you go to www.myspace.com/insidepanicroom you can hear how i use the mic eliminator .... i did no mic's in recording those guitar parts and the eq was set flat !!!!!! i think the mic elim is the $&%T....

THANKS BRUCE i love the MIC elim just as much as the MOD stuff !!!! :twisted:

I really like the sound. I wouldn't have guessed it was not mic'ed. When you use it do you still crank your amp to the normal volume? Does anyone know if the Lynch cabinet has this feature?

Jack Napalm said:
I really like the sound. I wouldn't have guessed it was not mic'ed. When you use it do you still crank your amp to the normal volume? Does anyone know if the Lynch cabinet has this feature?

thanks !
Yeah i keep my gig volume !!!
not sure about the lynch cab ...you'd figure it would thou!!!

actually i set the mic elim to bright on the back panel !!

riff man said:
Jack Napalm said:

thanks !
Yeah i keep my gig volume !!!
not sure about the lynch cab ...you'd figure it would thou!!!

actually i set the mic elim to bright on the back panel !!

Another cool thing about the Mic elim is that when i was tracking the guitars ...i could stand in the same room with the P.A just blasting the backing tracks ...mix the PA volume to the AMP volume and not worry about "MIC BLEED" at all !!!! that's really COOL!!!! imo...