Anybody run an EQ pedal with their RM?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To-student

Reaction score
To add some sustain or clean boost?
I have all stock modules and feels to me when I hit chords they do not hold as long as othere amps I have owned.

Was thinking of trying an EQ pedal.

Thanks in advance

I don't know what you mean about not enough sustain. Grail and Mr. Scary hold sustain just as long as my 5150 lead channel. But yes I do run both an EQ in the FX loop and a TS808 in front of the amp.

I run an MXR 10 band eq in my effects loop and it really improves the tone. It seems to clear up the sound as well, I highly recommend it.

I also run the mxr 10 band EQ in the efx loop. I don't notice any change in the sustain, but it makes my higher gain modules sound a lot clearer.

What settings are you using on the MXR 10 band? I saw a picture of Van Halen playing at the Monsters of Rock tour back in the 80's and there was very clearly an MXR 10 band on stage in front of him. I would love to know his settings as well!

Ricey said:
What settings are you using on the MXR 10 band? I saw a picture of Van Halen playing at the Monsters of Rock tour back in the 80's and there was very clearly an MXR 10 band on stage in front of him. I would love to know his settings as well!

I could take a pic of mine if you want. I just changed it a bit cause I was taking way too much middle out, but now I just boost the bass and treble by a notch or 2 and lower the mids just a bit. I want another one so I can have one for more Maiden type tones and one for Metallica scooped.

I read somewhere that you should place an EQ in front of the amp to sculpt mids and have another one in the effects loop to sculpt highs and low's. I tried it and there seems to be something to this! Boosting or cutting mids before the preamp changes the character of the distortion, whereas boosting highs in fornt of the amp adds noise and boosting lows in front of the amp can create a muddy or thumpy sound.

I adjust the mxr based on what i'm playing. when i use it in the loop it kind of sculps the distortion from the preamp. also, it kind of clears things up a bit and seems as if someone is lifting a blanket off my cab. usually i dont cut anything but just add a little of this or that. for leads i increase the mids. for rhythym i usually boost the bass, upper mids, and some treble.

I have the MXR 10 band..not the KK model. Use it basically like he does though, upfront with a midrange boost and level boost and the SL+ module...definately makes a big difference.

Ricey said:

It was the MXR?
I only ask because it has been well documented that he used the Boss
GE-10, the one with that is hard wired with the outlet plug.

Lynch uses the same one with his live rig the last 2 times i've seen him.

Just picked up the MXR M-108 and running it in the loop. All I can say is WOW. It really brings the RM100 to life.

For those of you who are running it in the loop, do you have to back down the volume slightly down from 0 or you start to clip? I'm assuming this is natural since it is a pedal so the line level is a bit hot for it, but I just wanted to verify.

Cheers!

AXCL said:
Just picked up the MXR M-108 and running it in the loop. All I can say is WOW. It really brings the RM100 to life.

For those of you who are running it in the loop, do you have to back down the volume slightly down from 0 or you start to clip? I'm assuming this is natural since it is a pedal so the line level is a bit hot for it, but I just wanted to verify.

Cheers!

Ya, I back down both the volume and gain until it stops clipping. I've never tried it with an ebtech line level shifter, but i'd like to get one and try that out.

Yup that 10 band MXR is the only EQ that sounds great and is noise free from the one's I have tried......I use it through both of my tube amps...