Rt2/50 or VHT 2-50-2 with my RM-4 - which one would you buy?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarrob

Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody had experience with both poweramps. Since both have similiar power, size and weight - I just wanted to know if there was a compelling reason to go with one or the other for my rig. I know that you can switch via midi between 6L6 / EL34 on the Randall which is cool, but I'm looking for best sound overall, #1, and reliability, #2. Thanks!

can't speak for the VHT, only from hearsay. But my Randall has been problem free for almost a year. I think any issues comes up with an improper fuse rating that used to blow to quickly. I like my Randall alot, use it in stereo, mix the two different power tubes and it seems to work great. Functionality wise, the Randall is jsut well thought out

I know pretty much anyone who uses a VHT power amp absolutely loves them, so based off hearsay alone, I would give the nod to VHT in sound wise, as they are generally regarded as some of the best poweramps out there now.

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the responses. I have to say that I'm leaning towards the VHT as I'm thinking, if I decide to move on from my rack set up later on to a simpler head configuration (and I have gone back and forth before), the resale value of the VHT might be superior. That said, I've only heard pretty stellar things about the RT2/50. Keep the responses coming.

Thanks!

RT2/50 is hard to beat at the *used* price...don't buy one new tho' ... you'll be eating $500 on re-sale :D

I had the RT2/50, a Mesa 2:90, a Marshall 9200 and a VHT 2/50/2. The VHT was easily the keeper of the lot. It's in the shop right now because of a major power issue in a club we recently played but it has nothing to do with the reliability of the amp. The bad power also fried a Crown Macro Tech 5000 and two computers. I don't think you will ever look back if you get the VHT.

I've been lovin the RT2/50,especially with 6550 and E34Ls side by side.Over 2 years running strong :D

Hey Ratkent - care to elaborate on the various characteristics of the power amps you've owned? I'd really like to know your thoughts, and why you kept the VHT over the others.

jmgman - thanks for tip on using the 6550 and EL34. I guess, the nicest thing about the RT2/50 is the fact that you can swap out different power tubes so easily, to change the overall sound characteristics, volume and headroom that you require.

Based on your responses, it seems either power amp would be a good choice for me, I'm thinking at this point, that it may come down to which one I'm able to find at a good price used.

If being able to switch power tubes on the fly is important... RT 2/50.

If tone is the biggest consideration and you can do without the features above - get the VHT.

I have the Randall and I think it sounds great. However, most people who have A/B'd the two like ratkent prefer the VHT tonewise.

Pete

okstrat said:
If being able to switch power tubes on the fly is important... RT 2/50.

If tone is the biggest consideration and you can do without the features above - get the VHT.

I have the Randall and I think it sounds great. However, most people who have A/B'd the two like ratkent prefer the VHT tonewise.

Pete

+100...You just can't go wrong with VHT.

guitarrob said:
Hey Ratkent - care to elaborate on the various characteristics of the power amps you've owned? I'd really like to know your thoughts, and why you kept the VHT over the others. oint, that it may come down to which one I'm able to find at a good price used.

I go for a very Les Paul into Marshall type tone. From slight grit to over the top gain but all with that Marshall vibe. I run one or two 4x12s and sometimes have to play a little quieter than I would like but other times I get to open it up pretty good depending on the venue. So what I have been looking for in a power amp is good tone at different volumes and little or no tweaking of my preamp from place to place. Wasn't sure if it was possible but here are my experiences.

I have to say I didn't care for the Randall much at all. In fact I was almost convinced I had made a mistake going with the RM4 preamp setup because I couldn't get what I wanted. It had EL34s in both sides. At 50 watts a side it was plenty loud but it never really cut like I would have preferred. It was just there. Functional but not too compelling or musical. It felt like it was quietest compared the others I've tried because it just didn't have a lot of life.

I switched to the Mesa 2:90 thinking I needed more punch and headroom. Like you would think, it had lots of headroom and sounded great with the clean modules. It actually sounded good with the gainy modules as well (XTC, KH3, Ultra XL). But for anything in between it was TOO punchy when it was loud yet soulless and boring when it was quiet. I tried all the functions and they all had their pros and cons but I was always tweaking my preamp and effects and was never totally happy for long. There were nights when it could not have sounded any better but it was finicky at best. For someone who plays at a consistent volume this amp would be perfect and can sound incredible.

The Marshall had 5881 tubes and while it was more Marshally than the Mesa, it had a certain sweet spot that was on the loud side. Anything less or more was thin and harsh. The first gig I played it on was a loud one and I thought I was in heaven. It never got any better than that and if I had to play quiet it was almost unbearable. Again, most of my problems with this amp were the vast differences in tone at different volumes.

Finally I got the VHT with EL34s. I should have gone with this one right after the Randall but my negative experience with that amp made me think EL34s might not be the best. The VHT is **** near perfect. Lots of Marshall power amp goodness and great at any volume. The tone just holds together no matter where I play and I can hear it from almost anywhere on stage. My drummer noticed a difference immediately. It's just a musical, "everything where it needs to be" tone.

On a side note, I just put my VHT in the shop because it got fried at a club with bad power. Not the amp's fault. I needed anything to use while repairs are being done so I found a old Peavey Classic 50 in great shape on Craig's List locally and bought it for $120. It sounds really good. I think it would have to be my second choice over the VHT for my applications. It sounds a lot like the VHT but doesn't have as firm a low end. The mids are particularly sweet and it is very much in the Marshall realm.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very appreicated. I'm definitely a Marshall guy as well, and so EL34s would be my first choice for powertubes in any case.

My only concern at this point regarding the VHT or even the Randall for that matter, is if 50 watts is enough. I will only use one side for most gigs, as I currently use an old JCM800 4x12 without stereo inputs.

I usually use a JCM800 2203 or a JVM410 on occasion so I'm used to a 100 watt head, running at 5, or half way up on the master at the loudest.

Will one side of the VHT have enough volume in your estimation? Any thoughts would be appreicated.

guitarrob said:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very appreicated. I'm definitely a Marshall guy as well, and so EL34s would be my first choice for powertubes in any case.

My only concern at this point regarding the VHT or even the Randall for that matter, is if 50 watts is enough. I will only use one side for most gigs, as I currently use an old JCM800 4x12 without stereo inputs.

I usually use a JCM800 2203 or a JVM410 on occasion so I'm used to a 100 watt head, running at 5, or half way up on the master at the loudest.

Will one side of the VHT have enough volume in your estimation? Any thoughts would be appreicated.

You're better off having 2 input jacks on your cab to split the speakers into 2 pairs. Ch A on the 2502 has a "mono" input that will feed both channels A and B, so you could use both amp channels and that'll definitely be enough power. The VHT can be ran at 4, 8, 16 ohms which should accommodate the speakers you already have.

Thanks for the advice. Eventually, I will purchase a stereo 4x12, but first things first, I need to get the power amp. Several guys have told me that the 2-50-2 is so loud, I shouldn't hear much of a difference between one side of that and the JCM800 I'm currently using with my mono 4x12. Anybody else doing this?

guitarrob said:
Thanks for the advice. Eventually, I will purchase a stereo 4x12, but first things first, I need to get the power amp. Several guys have told me that the 2-50-2 is so loud, I shouldn't hear much of a difference between one side of that and the JCM800 I'm currently using with my mono 4x12. Anybody else doing this?

You could get one of these panels:

9131205.jpg

They have them here:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=634614&pg=44990&id=9131205