Module concerns

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xspiderfingersx

Reaction score
Couple of questions to spit ball off of you guys about my modules:

Blackface: terrible sounding breakup if the master is past 1 oclock and the gain is at 12 oclock and the level is at 12 or 1: any ideas?

Recto module: sounds very very sloppy and has way too much bottom end; to the point of where you need to roll the density back to 8 or 9 oclock. Would not be a big deal if I didnt have to run over and boost the density when i switch it to the black face module.

and if anyone has good, first hand experience with the cap. mod for the recto/ black face, it'd be awesome to get an idea of the difference in tone and how to tell if mine has the old caps.

Check the Articles section of www.grailtone.com on the Randall mods. Information on how to tell which version you have is in those articles.

Wow...it's interesting that your Recto module seems to have way more bass than your Blackface -- mine are the other way around!

I currently have my Blackface bass knob almost all the way off...and my Recto and Plexi bass knobs around 2 o'clock to get them in the same tonal ballpark. For the record, all have the Bright switch ON.

Really makes me wonder how consistent the modules are (within the same type).

I changed the stock cap to .0022 on my Recto...didn't notice a great difference to be honest. I'd recommend you go straight to .001.

Going all the way to .001 on my Ultra Lead really helped that module in my opinion.

For the record i've been running straight guitar to amp and the guitars I use are strat style customs; one with EMG sa1's with a mid boost(with the boost up its very very loud and hot), one with gibson p-90s: The thing that i'm finding is just that the distortion on the recto is muddy and not really snarling gain but just thick bass. THe only guitar i use for the recto circuit is the EMG strat and an lp junior;and it just doesnt get that snarl those guitars usually get through other high gain amps. I was hoping the cap mod would bring out the snarling gain in the amp and less of that bass.

The black face sounds fantastic when the master is under 12 oclock as well; it just gets the weird distorted plunk at that point