Combo or new speaker cab

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a combo to save stage space, truck space and less stuff to carry.

Gary- what's the weight like on your RM50B?

Do the combos come with the mic eliminator?

Any other useful bits of info?

What about changing to a Randall 2x12 cab from my Marshall 4x10. Can someone tell me the difference between Custom Neodymium Celestion G12 Centurys (NXT) or Celestion Vintage 30s (CB).

Ned

I have a Randall 2x12 MTS cab... the stock speakers were GOOD but in the end they weren't for me. Mine came with the 2 Vintage 30's. I swapped them out for Texas Heat's and like the tone of them with the MTS stuff much better. On the other hand, I also have a Randall RS125CX (think?) and that has 2-Vintage 30s up top and a 15" on the bottom and that cab sounds great? Never tried the neodymium but the price on those is a bit steep I believe! :( Best of luck man, I was also thinking of picking up the RM20B or RM50B to use as a small wattage recording amp but I'll hold off on that until later I think.

I haven't weighted the RM50B, but it's nearly heavy enough to need wheels. I'm out of shape though. :) I damage my left hand if I pick it up with my left hand, so I have to use my right hand. Does that give you a good idea?

Newbie's first post - just found this forum tonight!

RM50 combo owner here. Manual doesn't give the exact weight but I'd estimate somewhere around 60 pounds. After hauling a '70 Twin Reverb around for a while, the RM is a breeze to move.

Can't blame you for the desire to downsize, I gigged with Boogie halfstacks for years and I don't miss carrying big stuff at all. The RM50 gets the tones I want (currently using a blackface and a recto module, with two or three others on my wishlist). The amp has plenty of volume and suprisingly solid bottom end for a combo, and it straps easily into the back seat of my Toyota Corolla.

I don't know what you mean by the "mic eliminator," I'm still green to some of this stuff.

My RM50 does not have the mic eliminator like the RM20B but it does have a nice big spring plate reverb that runs through the paralel FX loop. It sounds supurb, especially when you also mix in just a touch of delay. I don't think the heads have that.

As far as weight goes I know that mine shipped at 81 lbs. including the box and all the packing.

I'm extremely happy with my RM50. It blows my 120 watt Crate away. I'm still very new on the hole tube thing though. I had no idea that owning a tube amp could be so complicated with all these different tube types and bias and all that. I'm still grappling to understand it all. This forum has been very helpful with all that :D

ned said:
Can someone tell me the difference between Custom Neodymium Celestion G12 Centurys (NXT) or Celestion Vintage 30s (CB).

Ned

I've heard the NXT speakers are just louder and more powerful speakers (something about the magnet), but the guy I got that info from was just guessing as we were both trying to figure it out. In the end that guy bought one of the 4x12's with Vintage 30's though.

GuitarGuy, how would you compare those Texas Heat speakers to the V30's? I like mine right now with the V30's, but I'm always looking to mess with my tone :D

If you like Vintage 30s a LOT, you might not like the Texas Heats. They have more of a PUNCHY feel in the bass than V-30s and the highs are a bit rounder. I like them a lot. It's not that I didn't like the V-30s but the TH's have a slightly scooped mid to my ear and since I play more metal than anything it seems to work well for my setup. Has a real *THUMP* to it, kinda hits you in the chest! I also have an RS125CX with Two V-30s up top and an Eminence Legend 15" in the bottom that also sounds great. I might be selling it soon only to make room for my other 2x12 so I can stack it with the Randall MTS 2x12 and have a "4x12" setup. I have a friend that owns a Krankenstein and the matching 4x12 and it sounds huge. Krank's 4x12 uses Texas Heat speakers, so I figured I'd try them out in my 2x12 MTS cab. FWIW, I also just ordered a 2x12 EarCandy Buzzbomb with Eminence Wizard and Swamp Thang speakers in it... REALLY excited for that cab! It's going to be slick... all white with a black grill, birch shell with mahoghany front and backs, ported and it will have these cabby wheels to roll it like luggage! ;) WOOT!