Which EL34's/6L6 for RT2/50? Looking for Maximum Contrast...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
Hey guys,

EL34:

I currently have the RUBY EL34BSTR's in there and want to try something different.

Currently I'm looking at (Doug's tubes) the GT Mullard copy (XF2), The SED (Winged Tip C), Maybe even JJ KT77' or Ei 6CA7's. Probably looking to get as marshally as possible.

6L6:
I used to have Ruby 6L6GC's in there too and Changed to the EH 6L6's which I like much better. One is reading as a bad tube, which is prompting me to go tube shopping.

Looking at grabbing a replacement EH 6L6 tube, Or maybe the new Tung Sol 5881 copy. Any others I should consider? Thinking Mainly Fender here, but with enough balls to do Boogie. Right now early breakup is not a consideration. There are few situations that I need a ton of headroom.

Within reason I'm willing to spend, but not looking to go as far as NOS.

I play everything from funk and blues to straight up dropped tuned Metal.
So this makes the choice a little tougher. I want it to be a night and day difference when switching tube types. If they sound similar it misses the point IMO.

Anyone actually try these in their MTS amps that can compare them?

Thanks.

If your looking for a very classic sound from an EL34 try the one from Svetlana. Its has a very pronounced mid range. Great for 70's rock

I have had nothing but good luck with Svetlana 6L6's. Jerry at FJAMods.com put them in my 5150 and I have liked them best. If your going with Doug...maybe some of his big pinned JJ's 6L6GC's might be just what your looking for. I currently am running those...but plan to do the switch to the Svets.

For 6L6's I liked the JJ tubes and for EL34s I liked the NOS Mullards that I gave to Lance with the RM50 I sold him. Right now I'm using a VHT 2/50/2 and the previous owner had it re-tubed with Ruby tubes which are decent, but definately not as good as the Mullards I had.... should have kept them! :roll: :lol: Also, I'm not sure what brand VHT has but whoever makes their "stock" tubes (Labeled as VHT EL34s or E34L's, I can't remember what I had) makes a great quality tube. The first 2/50/2 I owned had those in it and it sounded HUGE!!! :shock:

NuSkool,
I use several tubes but I have two that I like the best. The new Mullard EL34 are great. To me they sound thick and full. I also like the EH 6L6. I didn't have any problems, but tubes are tubes and I'm sure if you buy enough of any brand, by nature you're gonna run into a few bad ones. I have a set of JJ 6V6, but I'm not a convert like many here are. I think they sound good, but a little to crispy for my taste.

Thanks guys.

3mile, to be clear you are talking about the GT Mullard right? Not the one from New sensor. What other EL34's did you compare?

6V6 crispy eh? Like ice pick or just too much high end?

Anyone try the 5881's? Curious on those too...

No. Mullard is in current production, new production that is. Look at them here:

http://www.tubedepot.com/mullard.html

I have tried the GT M(Mullard) 12 AX7, which I like. It is in V1 on the input tube of my RM50HB. Good sounding tube.

On the 6V6, I don't know really. Not a bad sound at all, just maybe not what I'm into right now. Most people I read about here are going for a "tight" sound and 6V6 might be the right ticket for that. My own personal tone is more about fullness and bloom. I go for a big swelling kind of attack. Don't get me wrong, every now and then I put in my 6L6 set and turn up the XTC module and crank out the crunch too! Right now I'm recording originals so I'm sort of in this mind set to create my own sound. So far Mullard EL34 is that sound. It all could change tomorrow :wink:

Those are New Sensors? So if you buy the EH you are geting the same tube? I know this happens with branding tubes but I didn't know about that one. Any way, that's my first set of EL34. I am going to try some more but I haven't decided which ones yet. Interested in the Svetlana / SED they might be next. The Tung Sol 5881 sounds interesting to me too. Let us know how they sound if you try them.

I had spoken with the Egnater guys and they basically told me that the 5881 is by far the most reliable .tube .Bruce makes mention of it over a huge racks inc .that basically SUHR started using those tubes for that very reason.
If youve got roadies and backup tubes might not be a biggie.
the 5881 is stiffer more agressive and focused the 34 has more bloom and richer in Harmonics .Although Soldanos are 5881 and they sound great

I've really been digging the E34L's over regular EL34 tubes. I've got both JJ and Groovetube versions and I think they sound great. A little more headroom than an EL34 but still the same breakup characteristics and bloom.

For some fun this afternoon I went down to Sears to get a mulitmeter, took two 5881s out of my SLO, smacked them in my MOD 50 and biased them to about 34mV. They sound incredible! A definite boost in clarity, tightness, attack, and headroom over the EL34s it shipped with. My Vox module isnt as chimy and jangly as before, but still **** good and it doesnt breakup as quickly (Channel A even generally breaks up real quick). I think Im sticking with them actually. The amp feels stiffer and theres less sag, but I kinda like that as I got used to it with my SLO.

-Matt

Latest posts