So does Egnater design all the new Randalls?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubedude

Reaction score
If so, I'm thinking there must be some pretty damned good Randalls out besides the MTS series. Which ones has he designed?

I'm trying to find a killer amp, lower wattage for recording, something between a Vox AC30 and a Mesa Rec. Good dirty tones, but very clear at the same time. Super saturated tones just dont go to tape very well.

I would look at the RM50 then load it with JJ 6V6's. If you get the Egnater version there is a power switch that with the V's brings it down to 5 watts. Then load what ever module you want depending on the sound your looking for.

As far as I have ever read or known, Bruce Egnater has only designed the MTS amps for Randall. I agree with Ned, that's a cool way to go for low wattage spank. Also don't forget that there is a 20 watt / EL84 based MTS combo and head as well.

I thought he also worked on the Valve-Dynamic technology in the V2 and T2 amp heads...He's the Chief Designer at Randall.

I hear that the V2's sound is pretty killer...

I think (could be wrong) that Bruce also had a hand in the new T2/V2 series of Randall's.

Guys,

Along with the obvious MTS Series, Bruce has designed and developed along with your's truly, the V2, T2, and revised G3 series all with Valve-Dynamic power. Currently, we're working on the soon to be released Valve-Dynamic Bass amp Series. Sorry guitar players!!

For 2007, you'll also see some new MTS gear as well as a Signature amp or two.

I can't let the cat out of the bag yet, but will soon.
Thanks!

The new MTS gear he's referring to is the new RM100L head. The "L" is for lights. It will have a row of LED lights that illuminate the head. You will get the choice of red, blue, purple, orange or green.

or not. LOL! :lol:

Seems like a conflict of interest. Everyone talks about how his own brand of modules sound better. Is he doing something different, or is Randall subing the work out of the country and his are hand built? I think that is prob the case.

Who designed the new tube series, and how do they sound?
I'm kind of looking at a Rivera Pubster.

Randall modules are built in the US. I believe there are some parts differences between the two along with features - Egnater dual channel and all heads have midi.

You can't go wrong with the Randall MTS stuff. I gig 3 weekends a month with mine and have never had to replace a tube at a gig or use my back up.

Tubedude said:
Seems like a conflict of interest. Everyone talks about how his own brand of modules sound better. Is he doing something different, or is Randall subing the work out of the country and his are hand built? I think that is prob the case.

At one time both. The Randall stuff used to be offshore, but now are made in the USA.

Regarding Randall vs. Egnater: The circuits are slightly different (Marshall stuff) , some are more different (Fender Boogie stuff). Higher tolerance parts, carbon comp resitors. To me the Egnaters are rounder and a little more 'real" feeling/sounding. The Randall stuff is a little more aggressive, and sometimes sound more "pedally" if that makes sense. Still hands down better than most tube preamps I've tried given the versatility.

ned said:
I would look at the RM50 then load it with JJ 6V6's. If you get the Egnater version there is a power switch that with the V's brings it down to 5 watts. Then load what ever module you want depending on the sound your looking for.

If the 6V6's don't go down low enough for you, throw a hot plate on there also set at -8dB (it starts to suck lower than that.) I use both at home and it works GREAT!

GaryMcT said:
ned said:

If the 6V6's don't go down low enough for you, throw a hot plate on there also set at -8dB (it starts to suck lower than that.) I use both at home and it works GREAT!

Also, to my ears that RM50B with 6V6's sounds WAY better than the RM20 combo.

ned said:

I like reading that you've settled on TopBoost and Plexi for your rig. . smart man. :)