What Power Amp are you using?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prickstein

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm about to get myself an Egnater M4 and just wanted to suss out which power amps people are using. I've got a loan of a RM4 & RT2/50 rack at the moment and the sheer weight of it is putting me off, and it's possibly too loud. A THD hotplate could take care of that though.
Cheers,
Rick

How loud do you want it? I know plenty of people on here use VHT 2/50/2s with thier M4s- but they are plenty loud.

Keep this topic going, because I am about to purchase one as well. I've been running into the effects return of a head for power, and I'm not thrilled with it. I have a line on a Boogie 50 watt power amp, or a Peavey Classic 60/60.

I'm not that well versed in the way of the power tube and wouldn't mind hearing peoples thoughts on what sort of tube works best with the modular setup. 6L6, EL34, EL84?
Anybody use a Mesa 20/20? Just wondering if that's a good match with the Egnater pre.

I've got an RT2/50. If I were gigging with it, I would def consider putting it in it's own rack. Together with the RM4 is pretty hefty.. Especially come 2-3AM!

When I was using the Egnater M4 I paired it with a VHT 2/50/2. One of the reasons I stopped using the rack stuff was it was LOUD! It still sounded good at lower volumes, but power tube distortion is important to most tube amps and it definately sounded better at higher volumes! I was told the Mesa 20/20 sounded nice with the M4 but I never tried it out myself. I'm now using the MOD50 head and LOVE it... lightweight (I can carry it with one arm!) and it has the "low power" option so I run it at that at all times when I'm at home. It's still plenty loud there, so if I had a gig I'm sure the full power setting would work nicely! :D

The more I read this forum, the more I think I am going to go to the MOD 50 head. Plexi/SL and EG3/4 mods for me please. Any way back on subject, I use the Randall RM50HB for my power amp when using my Eganter M4 pre (single channel version ... darnit!). I have used the Boogie 20/20 with mixed results. Good amp, nice tube sound, it doesn't do the full justice to the Randall/Egnater concept IMO. Most of these modules where created and are designed around amps using either 6L6 or EL34 tubes. I think they just sound better this way. I find the 50 watt Randall amp to be managable volume wise. I would look into using a attentuator of some sort before I went back to using the Boogie.

GT510- any chance to get a weight on the Mod50 head. The Randall RM50 head is quite heavy, mainly due to the large transformers necessary to accept all the tube variations.

Hey Ned,

I can get a more accurate weight for you tonight, sir. It doesn't seem TERRIBLY heavy at all, maybe like 25-30 lbs? The transformer side is heavy (heavier on one side than the other) but the total weight is surprisingly managable! I give Bruce a big thumbs up on the design of the MOD50! I'm loving it!!! I liked the M4 and VHT 2/50/2 a lot for the versatility but it seems that between the lower weight and the low-power switch on the MOD50, I will ultimately be more happy with the smaller head setup! 8)

My Randall RM50HB Head is weighing in at a mighty 41 pounds on my bathroom scale. If the Egnater MOD is less THAT"S IT, I'M SELLING EVERYTHING for the next one I can find :wink:

Hey jmg,

How do you like the Governor speakers? I just noticed them in your tag. I have never been a big Celestion V30 fan, but Eminence seems to fix everything I don't like about the original as they did with the GB & Private Jack Greenback models. Just curious, and sorry for taking this off topic (again).

I love them.I built two 412 cabs and I and used 4 govs in one and 4 privs in another and they sounded insane ,I then swapped out two of the govs for two privs and wow!With the MOD 50 it is very smooth and nasty .IMO eminence really has worked it out.

Yeah running combos of eminence speakers is cool stuff. I am using a Wizard and a Swamp Thang in my EarCandy cab... sounds fantastic!!! :D

My buddy heard mine and sold his greenbacks out of his marshall and did wizards and tonespotters,very cool sound!!!!

Latest posts