Help with modules for cover band

MTS module area including module modifications

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

gypsyblues73
RM20

Help with modules for cover band

Post by gypsyblues73 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 am

Hi I'm a total newb to the world of modules, I just acquired a Mr. Scary and a Brown (I'm a kid of the 80s). I also play in a cover band that was originally just a grunge/90s alt thing, but we've added other songs and genres for specific gigs. So with the SYN-2 I need 2 very flexible modules to cover the standard grunge and jangly 90s alt, plus some 80s stuff like Rebel Yell, Wanted Dead or Alive, Hold On Loosely, as well as a few modern metal songs like Five Finger Death Punch's version of Blue on Black, Korn's version of Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2, Three Doors Down's When I'm Gone. So I need decent cleans on both, a nice low-gain jangly crunch (an Interstate Love Song-type of tone) on one, a classic 80s Marshall tone, and a modern hi-gain tone. I was thinking maybe the DS and Ecstacy, or Powerball and Ecstacy. Can you guys help me out?

Lespauled
RM50

Re: Help with modules for cover band

Post by Lespauled » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm

The BB channel of the Friedman BB/BE has some amazing cleans. That might be where you should look. You also get the BE channel. This should give you a range of options in the 80s genre.

gypsyblues73
RM20

Post by gypsyblues73 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:44 pm

I'm not that familiar with Friedman, so how does that one compare to the DS? I had a hard time really telling a difference between the two at least from Youtube vids. The BB/BE and DS seemed to cover a lot of the same territory.

ned
Site Admin

Post by ned » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:48 am

My cover band did everything from the Beatles to Tool with a bunch of 80's and 90's stuff. I gigged with my Mod 50 with the VX and SL modules. When I shifted to just a GSP1101 (modeler) straight into the board most of my presets were based on a Plexi.

With a Syn-2 I would think the BB/BE and Plexi or 800 modules would get you everything you need. The BE channel should get close to your Brown module and the BB has great cleans and takes pedals as well. An alternative would be the Vai module which the clean channel is based on the BMAN clean.

Here is a link to my old band if you need reference.
https://youtu.be/xVA9xkd0UE0
Grail Tone - Amp Settings
My Rig: Egnater Mod 50 1x12 Combo w/ VX and SL2/EG34 modules, dual Syn-2's with TDLX, Vai, HBE, SLO
FX: Digitech GSP1101, Rocktron Multivalve, H9, G-Major, ton O Rockman stuff