which stock "clean" mod is best for taking pedals?

MTS module area including module modifications

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

crev71
RM20

which stock "clean" mod is best for taking pedals?

Post by crev71 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm new to the whole modular thing and I'm looking to buy a combo and some mods but I definitely want a clean mod that takes pedals really well. Granted I'll probably mod all of my mods but until I have money to do that, which stock clean modules sound the best with pedals?

(sorry if there is already a post about this)

Phantom123
RM20

Post by Phantom123 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:28 pm

I'd assume the KH-1 or Clean for a pure, unmovable clean. If you want some native distortion on board, I'd figure a Super V, JTM, or even Plexi.

Vince
RM100

Post by Vince » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 am

Personally.... I am blown away by the clean tone of the Blackface.

Mister Joshua
RM100

Post by Mister Joshua » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 am

I like the Blackface with 12AT7 tubes. It is technically a mod but 12AT7 tubes are fairly cheap and easy to install.

As far as pure stock i'd look at the Clean module. It is a great clean sound but lacks the personality of the Blackface or Top Boost to some degree. Only problem with the stock Blacface is that it cracks up somewhat early. Hence the 12AT7's.

Peace, Joshua
Peace, Joshua

eyeball987
Lynch Box

Post by eyeball987 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:05 am

I have a KH1 right now that would be a good platform. I had a Blackface and it sounded almost identical but the KH1 can be pushed much more without breaking up. I also have a DLX and while it sounds very good, it will break up pretty early too.

The trick with the clean modules that I have learned is that the higher the master is on the amp then the later they will break up.

Nightdare
Lynch Box

Post by Nightdare » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:25 am

Question remains: what kind of pedals?

Julia
Lynch Box

Post by Julia » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Tubescreamer, Zendrive, Barber Small Fry, Fuzz Face.
Disregard all advice pertaining to gain and tone from this user if you are under the age of 40 and play thrash.

Too old to Rock N Roll. Too young to die.

slashnstrings
RM100

Post by slashnstrings » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:11 pm

The best clean for pedals may not be the best clean when you are not using pedals.

I personally love the blackface clean, I run the gain high on it and get that nice 70's tube amp clean sound.

But I would say if you are running pedals the best clean for that would be something with almost no gain, flat sounding, so that your pedal is being used to the full extent. the KH clean is pretty damn close to as clean as you can get.
Lynch Box-
Mr.Scary Gigmod
Blackface
Plexi
Treadplate(JF Mod)
Randall 2x12 w/Seventy80s
Mesa 4x12 Stiletto slant cab w/Vintage 30's
Roland JC-120
BBE Sonic Mazimizer
MXR M135 Gate
MXR MC401 Line Driver

roszatycki
Donating Member

Post by roszatycki » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:28 pm

What is the difference between the Blackface and Clean module. The PCB layout looks identical to me and when I asked the Randall tech he eventually after a long pause said "the blackface has a little more grit to it"
RM100, Deluxe, Tweed, XTC, Grail, SL+, Ultra, Ultra XL, 1086, Brown, Modded Super V, Treadplate, Clean, JVM, KH-2,Kamikaze, Modern, XXX

VitaminG
Lynch Box

Post by VitaminG » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 pm

slashnstrings wrote:The best clean for pedals may not be the best clean when you are not using pedals.

I personally love the blackface clean, I run the gain high on it and get that nice 70's tube amp clean sound.

But I would say if you are running pedals the best clean for that would be something with almost no gain, flat sounding, so that your pedal is being used to the full extent. the KH clean is pretty damn close to as clean as you can get.
I think it also depends on if you want a transparent clean that will allow you to derive all your tone from the pedal, or if you are looking to goose a clean channel into overdrive. Like the classic vol-up, gain-down TS into Fender blues tone

Goldfish
RM100

Post by Goldfish » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Running different boosts on one clean channel, I'd actually suggest the Blackface or Deluxe as good contenders for that. Great cleans of course and both take pedals quite well, very punchy cleans. What I think can be even cooler is if you run the Deluxe in a "best of both worlds"-type setup, set for medium drive on the channel, you can do a lot from that starting point. Roll off the vol knob (and/or insert a cut EQ detox pedal) for great vintage cleans, or go the other way and push the medium crunch into more gain with the boost pedal of your choice, depending on what sort of gain tone you're going for. The Deluxe on medium gain can get you a great punchy mid 70's rock roll crunch tone. Especially with something like a Gibson-type guitar in split coil. Love that sound.
Good deals: lhrocker/dirtdog/buriedorburned/DracoAran/randall3/Rossness/bj4rd/ssrdude/c2ply/Katash/Galao
RM100/RM50 (Deluxe/SL/Plexi/Blackface/TopBoost/Brahm/SuperV/Loneclean/HBE)
2203/2204/Bassman/GH100L/Recto 4x12/Zilla 2x12/Laney 4x12

crev71
RM20

Post by crev71 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:17 pm

yeh as for pedals I use a lot of different drives and fuzzes, delays, and reverbs. I play a lot of ambient post rock style music as well as metal...

I do like the sound of the blackface but the early breakup from what I hear of it isn't too desirable. What are the main cheaper mods that people do on them to allow you to crank the gain and still keep it clean?

audiomidijace
Donating Member

Post by audiomidijace » Sun May 16, 2010 12:20 am

This is one place I've not seen the MTS shine. I tried a few different OD and Boost pedals that were hight quality and sounded amazing with a CA-100 and a Rivera Venus 6, but just sounded like ass with every clean module I tried (Black face, Tweed, Deluxe and Clean.) That being said the modules and my volume knob do everything I need so I don't really care. My favorite stock clean modules are the Super V and the Blackface. An AC-30 and a Twin...How can you go wrong? But I also ordered a Salvation LoneClean mod. This thing really has it's own sound and has a ton of tone options. It over drives nicely too. It has a much more solid mid range then any of the stock clean modules. I had already given up my OD and Boost pedals by the time I got this module so I can't speak to how it might take pedals.