Voodoo Amps Sear module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgastineau

Reaction score
I just got my 1086 modified by Voodoo Amps to their Sear module spec.

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/AMPMODIFICATIONS/RandallMods/1086DanDoneganModule/SearMod1086/tabid/710/Default.aspx

Description - "Searing liquid-like high gain, smooth-&-effortless to play with blistering harmonics all coupled with a deep/chunky low-end! A modern metal players dream come true!!"

Sounds very professional, quiet
Compared to KH-3 - slightly higher gain, smoother, less bite
I rate it about 9 on a 10 scale. I'd like a little more treble and a little more output (although I haven't messed with the internal trim pots yet).

Once we got past some initial confusion from the web site, customer service and communication was excellent.

The reason I sold my KH3 was that it was too smooth and it didn't have enough bite. At least compared to my SL+, JF Brahma, JF Scary, and Pete UltraXL which tend to have plenty of bite.

Fool with those internal trim pots and come back with some more info. I have been interested in the sear mod.

i have a sear mod recto, that is killer, it could use a little more output. i have to have it way up to keep up with a stock mr scary. tone wise it kills

Don't forget there is a "burn in" period. If you haven't been playing it for long the components still have a bit of settling to do and the tone may change a bit more.

By "output," do you mean sheer volume? If so, I noticed the same thing with my UG-Jose. Trace recommended running the amp master as high as possible, then equalizing the modules' levels using their individual volume knobs. This seemed counterintuitive at first (most recommend running the module volumes at 12 o'clock or above and keeping the amp master at a lower setting), but it seems to work quite well.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it after tweaking the gain pots. Both of my Voodoo modules have gobs more gain than a stock KH-3, and the Sear is supposed to have more still.

Rising Farce said:
By "output," do you mean sheer volume? If so, I noticed the same thing with my UG-Jose. Trace recommended running the amp master as high as possible, then equalizing the modules' levels using their individual volume knobs. This seemed counterintuitive at first (most recommend running the module volumes at 12 o'clock or above and keeping the amp master at a lower setting), but it seems to work quite well.

Yeah, just the overall level compared to other modules is lower. On the Sear I'm maxing the gain, and the master is about 8. On my other modules the total of gain + master is about 15. I'm running my RM4 at 5 (straight up).

It is common on the Jose and Sear Mods to run the Master/Level control on the Modules higher than a stock module so there are no worries.

We do recommend setting the RM100's Master Volume higher. In our experience it tends to react and sound more like a head. IE: Cleans sound better, gain tones sound bigger, bottom end is deeper and more open top end comes out.

In the end there is no right or wrong when it comes to tone, it all comes down to what ever sounds and feels best.

Have a great day!
Trace

sepherus said:
Don't forget there is a "burn in" period. If you haven't been playing it for long the components still have a bit of settling to do and the tone may change a bit more.

Can anyone explain this a bit more? My Voodoo UG Jose just came home and it sounds great. I only have about 10 minutes on it though. What can I expect (and how long) to change about the tone?

eyeball987 said:
sepherus said:

Can anyone explain this a bit more? My Voodoo UG Jose just came home and it sounds great. I only have about 10 minutes on it though. What can I expect (and how long) to change about the tone?

There is a longer or more in depth post here on the MTS forums but in short; All metals have a break-in period. Transformers take 100 hours to break in where as all other components generally take 40-50 hours. Once broken in the tone is smoother/easier to play, the high end smooths out, the mids are warmer/better focused and the low end is deeper/richer. Also the module will be easier to play as well.

We do have a proprietary break in rig I've designed for amps, preamps, power amps, cables, etc. however as we only have one RM100 we cannot dedicate it to breaking in modules.

Hope you had a great Christmas holiday and have a safe New Years Eve! :)

All the best!
Trace

Voodoo Amps said:
eyeball987 said:
sepherus said:

There is a longer or more in depth post here on the MTS forums but in short; All metals have a break-in period. Transformers take 100 hours to break in where as all other components generally take 40-50 hours. Once broken in the tone is smoother/easier to play, the high end smooths out, the mids are warmer/better focused and the low end is deeper/richer. Also the module will be easier to play as well.

We do have a proprietary break in rig I've designed for amps, preamps, power amps, cables, etc. however as we only have one RM100 we cannot dedicate it to breaking in modules.

All the best!
Trace

Thanks Trace. I remember reading the other thread but I couldn't locate it in a search. I have no problems breaking this one in!

eyeball987 said:
Voodoo Amps said:
eyeball987 said:
sepherus said:

All the best!
Trace

Thanks Trace. I remember reading the other thread but I couldn't locate it in a search. I have no problems breaking this one in!

I don't recall what thread it was under but I think it may have been under a HG or UG-Jose Mod thread (don't quote me--lol). I am happy to hear you are enjoying your module and I hope your Jan is going well :) It's been very cold here lately but the soldering irons and tubes heat every thing up nicely :)

Ultron said:
Trace is the man!

Thank you for the kind and supportive words (truly) but to be honest I try to tweak things in for each player so that it's inspiring to play on. You can't touch, see or bottle inspiration but you feel it when it hits you. That is what I continually strive for when modding or designing and I never take that for granted. I am just a guy who is obsessed with tone as much as every one else here! :)

Ultron said:
Looking forward to trying some of his mods. :twisted:

Feel free to call me (607-256-0465) or email me directly ([email protected]) and we can talk more in depth about what you are looking for and what you need from a module(s). I would like your first experience to be a positive one :)

Have a great Tuesday!!
Trace