Fender Sound ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDWR

Reaction score
I am playing through a RM20 , 1 by 12 closed back cabinet, Weber bluedog ceramic speaker. I use a Gibson SG and play mostly classic rock. I prefer Marshall like tones - but lately have been missing a good Fender tone. I have been thinking about a tweed or Top Boost.* ( * not Fender but Fear of straying too far from my beloved british tones.) Any thoughts on what Fender module would work best with my rig.

I believe he was alluding to the fact that the Bassman and JTM were very similar in sound and design. Some have said that the JTM was copied from the Bassman. While i tend to disbelieve this statement i do tend to think that you could get a passable Fender Bassman tone with a JTM. I also like the Tweed for Bassman like tones (since the Tweed is supposed to be the Bassman clone).

Peace, Joshua

Yup... dead on Joshua. And I believe the same about the cloning thing. The JTM was probably based off the very same Western Electric tube amplifier design that Leo used.

Anyway... I was just trying to cut the difference between the Fender and Marshall sound as we know the JTM module will get a Marshall sound. I have a Blackface module that I am pretty fond of... great clean and dirties up pretty nice.

Vince..
I agree. Over the years I have heard from amp-mavens that The Fender Bassman was the exact amp that Marshall was trying to make with the JTM45. But because they couldnt get the exact parts in post WWII England, Ken Bran (electronic designer), modified that basic tried and true Western Electric schematic and wa-lah..the Marshall JTM45 was born.
So: the Fender Bassman is from the Western Electric schematic and the Marshall JTM45 was an attemp to make that same amp over in England with the only parts they could get.
Thats what I have heard for years.
GtrGeorge

I get some awesome Fender and Marshall tones from my JF Brown module

heres a little clip of a strat through it. I love this sound
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8886994

Anyone tried Pete's Tweed mod? Would this get close to SRV sound? Or would a Deluxe be better?

The PeteTweed is an absolute thing of beauty...SRV heaven.
I had a stock Randall Deluxe and an Egnater Deluxe before, and in comparison the Deluxes sound cleaner with more country honky mids
Maybe that would work for cleaner SRV, but for the dirty Strat blues, the PeteTweed is the one

I play Egnater dual modules. For cleaner SRV tones I prefer the T/D module (Twin/Deluxe) to the Bman module. I wouldn't use British voiced speakers. For the crunchier SRV tones i use the SL module (Plexi).

I'm really liking the KH-1 for Fender tones. If you've got Celestion sounding speakers you're not going to stray that far from your British sound. You'll have more smoother mids. I find the Eminence speakers Fender uses a little too harsh on the highs, especially with a strat.

I use the KH-1 with either a Strat or SG on the neck pup. For SRV tones with the strat I'll add a tubescreamer.

Thanks for the replies, you have peaked my interest. Since I am going to keep the MTS system, I thought I might venture into territory where I already have amps.

Currently, I have a modded Blues Jr & use a Jersey Girl Fulltender for the SRV distortion. The Fulltender is supposed to be SRV-in-a-box. The Blues Jr has about all of the Bill M mods, 6V6 tubes, bigger pine cabinet & a Hellatone 30. I settled on the G12H30 as it has great low end, smooth highs & likes the Fulltender. I originally replaced the Eminence Designed with a Weber 12F150, but it still had too much high end edge & did not sound great with the Fulltender for some reason.

SDWR said:
I am playing through a RM20 , 1 by 12 closed back cabinet, Weber bluedog ceramic speaker. I use a Gibson SG and play mostly classic rock. I prefer Marshall like tones - but lately have been missing a good Fender tone. I have been thinking about a tweed or Top Boost.* ( * not Fender but Fear of straying too far from my beloved british tones.) Any thoughts on what Fender module would work best with my rig.
The TWEED works really well with the RM-20 as you can keep it clean and boost it for overdrive. Same thing with the JTM. If you want it REALLY clean, the BLACKFACE is the best choice. It actually has a pretty cool overdrive tone when you up the gain and/or boost it.

Latest posts