Thumping Marshall sound.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StratmanR2S

Reaction score
Which Marshall Module has the most bottom end between the Plexi and the JTM45?

I play Strats and use medium gain for my rhythm sounds, like a Blackmore type sound. I don't like my Strat to sound thin so I don't need tight base. So which Marshall Modal would be best?

You're also dealing with guitar synths, fuzz faces, and he's playing Engl amps now. Previously modded Marshall Majors, and previous to that Vox. My guess is you want to go with his Marshall sound.

Stock mods between those two? JTM.

With a Strat, I'd also suggest a Keeley Java Boost as well set to full range for your boost and maybe incorporate it into the tone. And I find out he did use a treble booster....

I listened to some Blackmore and it sounds like he's running an octave pedal as well.

The SL+ has more fortitude than the Plexi as well but a more gainy sound. But the JTM takes pedals better. Just from the time period the Major was built I'd think the JTM would be closer to your specs. For Blackmore you will need some pedals even with a modded JTM.

Thinks for the info, but I not trying to achieve his sound per say, more or less giving an example of something similar. I rarely use pedals to get my rhythm sounds just the amps tone.

Right now I'm using a 74 50w Marshall metal face, or my Carvin V3 combo. I'll be getting a RM50LB in the mail soon (I hope). My sound is somewhere between Blackmore or AC/DC. Just a cranked Marshall sound. But using Strats I use more bottom end than most.

So than the JTM has more bottom then the Plexy?

If you dont mind me buttin in...
consider putting a low output Humbucker in your strats bridge position..a P90 is an excellent choice (its actually a single coil..but with more output). The point is once you drive that input PROPERLY...you will probably have that chunk you are looking for.
..and YES I hear you...you are not looking for ultra-mega-death-metal gain..I get that. You just want a MEATY strat sound..ala Blackmore.
A P90 can really kick some ***....in that way...listen to some of the stuff the backing guitarist is doing in Greenday...great real tone...and Keith Urban gets a great sound the same way.
GtrGeorge

Duncan P-Rail in the bridge for a choice of single, P90, or medium output humbucker. The P90 sound is supposed to be there.

Dude! Get real, I would never defile my Strats with a humbucker( or P-90). I love the sound of my Strats. I put higher output DiMarzio Virtual Vintage noiseless pup in them( Similar to what Malmsteen uses but my sound is different) I like the fact that Strats have a lower output that way the tubes have to be opened up more. I've been using Strats for over 30yrs. The rig I have sounds awesome with them. Its my kind of sound. I use them in my original alt rock band. IMO anybody can get a good sound out of a Humbucker equipped Guitar, But I dig the way a Strat tears through the mix.

I already have several Humbucker equipped guitars if I ever need to go that way.

Gibson SG
Gibson V
Gibson ES335
Kramer mid 80's w/ Floyd Rose

Just to name a few, but I still prefer to play my Fender Strats the most.

I used the Blackmore reference because he is someone people can relate to who gets a good rock sound with a Strat. I don't go for the SRV type clean Strat sound, It's closer to old Purple.

I'm not looking for anything different then what I have. I'm looking for something that will do what I need it to do in a more portable package. I just ordered a Lynch Box combo. Its only a 112 combo, so I am asking which of the Marshall module has more bottom end to make up for only one speaker. Also with a Strat you need a little extra thump. Example... You may have your bass knob on 6, I would have mine on 9 and my trebble cut a bit. But If it is an amp ( or modual)with too tight of a bottom end it might be marginal to get the sound I'm getting now with my Marshall Half Stack or my Carvin V3 212 Combo.

Sorry if I come off harsh but its a simple Question, and I'll ask it again. Which Marshall module has the fullest bass?

StratmanR2S said:
Dude! Get real, I would never defile my Strats with a humbucker( or P-90). I love the sound of my Strats. I put higher output DiMarzio Virtual Vintage noiseless pup in them( Similar to what Malmsteen uses but my sound is different) I like the fact that Strats have a lower output that way the tubes have to be opened up more. I've been using Strats for over 30yrs. The rig I have sounds awesome with them.
Ok, so... what's the point of your question?

You asked a question. You got an answer that you didn't like, so...

StratmanR2S said:
I'm not looking for anything different then what I have. I'm looking for something that will do what I need it to do in a more portable package. I just ordered a Lynch Box combo. Its only a 112 combo, so I am asking which of the Marshall module has more bottom end to make up for only one speaker. Also with a Strat you need a little extra thump. Example... You may have your bass knob on 6, I would have mine on 9 and my trebble cut a bit. But If it is an amp ( or modual)with too tight of a bottom end it might be marginal to get the sound I'm getting now with my Marshall Half Stack or my Carvin V3 212 Combo.

Sorry if I come off harsh but its a simple Question, and I'll ask it again. Which Marshall module has the fullest bass?

...you restate the question?

You say you *love* your strat and how it sounds and that you're, "not looking for anything different." You make some appeal to authority that 30 years of Strat playing makes the suggestions offered null and void. You then say, "Also with a Strat, you need a little extra thump.", thereby pretty much refuting the claim that you love how your strat sounds. Furthermore, you act like no one here has any experience playing Strats. As if people would read your post and say, "Strats lack bass? No way! When did this happen?"

You were offered the JTM and some pedals as the best choice. I happen to agree. I think at the very least you'll need a JTM and an EHX LPB-1. Regardless, you're going to need a booster of some kind. None of the Randall RM-Marshall modules by themselves will do what you're asking for. Not any different than a period Marshall head. No period Marshall head by itself will do what you're asking for. Blackmore himself used not only a treble booster but ran his signal through a tape machine (to thicken it up) before going into his Marshall.

If this answer is unsatisfactory (because you don't want to add more pedals to your chain, install a p-90, or whatever...), I don't know that there's anything more that anyone on this forum can offer you. You stated it was a simple question. You got a simple answer. Sorry it's not the answer you're looking for.

Believe it or not this is actually a pretty knowledgeable group of people.

Are you new to the Modular series? I ask because the density control in the Randall power section is quite powerful, giving tremendous control over the bass frequencies -- Much more than the amps that the modules are attempting to emulate. Just be careful that running this control too high at loud volumes can turn your sound to mud.

I'm a strat player too, and love that I can fill out some of the sub-frequencies for a fuller sound.

For this reason, I think you could make any of the Marshall-inspired modules work. I'd just choose the one with the gain profile you prefer. Go with the cleaner one if you want to rely on a pedal or two for an extra gain stage.

Thanks for all the responses, some have actually been informative. Others not so much.

My problem is there are no music stores in my area that caries any Randall gear so I've never heard a MTS amp or any of the many modules that are available

Are you new to the Modular series? I ask because the density control in the Randall power section is quite powerful, giving tremendous control over the bass frequencies -- Much more than the amps that the modules are attempting to emulate. Just be careful that running this control too high at loud volumes can turn your sound to mud.

Yes, I am new to the modular series( Not new to guitar playing). So I will have to rely on those who have heard them before for advice on how they sound. You can't rely on sound clips.

I have no problems getting a good sound, I just have no way of hearing any of this stuff and don't want to have to buy a bunch of modules just to hear what they sound like. That could get expensive.

and don't want to have to buy a bunch of modules just to hear what they sound like. That could get expensive.
Yes, it used to be that you could buy mods used, try them out and flip them for no loss, but the buyers seem to have slowed down a bit. If you run across a good deal, buy it and flip it- even if you lose a little ($20), it's worth it to hear it first hand through your fingers

Reemphasize: GigmodsTweed + Strat Rules!

you know what- that GigTweed is flat out awesome with a strat, unbelieveable inspiration

My Gigmods JTM has awesome low end response compared to the Plexi (stock or modded)

I'll have to look into these Gigmods. Are they standard mods that they do to those particular moduals or do you tell them what you want from the mods?

you could do either, check out his page, it is listed on his posts okstrat

My tweed I bought direct from Pete, it was module he had for sale ( I didn't send one in) No special switches or push/pull knobs, but just flat out awesome Los Lonely Boys Strat tone. I'll have to get some clips together- problem is I usually go hard rock/ metal and I'm not a "blues" player, but I'll have to put something together

The JTM I bought from another user here 2 years ago, it has a 3 way bass cap and a 3way mid switch- all of the sounds totally cool. I don't use it much for that AC/DC or Jimi gain (which it does deadon), rather I like the low gain/cleaner tones in it, it has great overtones of chime for leads, also has the best (by far) neck pickup huge low end smooth jazz tone .

I enjoy the work of most of the pro modders here, but I think Pete excels at specific areas such as: tones for Strat, as well as mods that have warm/thick mids that are fanastic for leads.

Here's my summary for Gigmods for Strat:
Blackface: awesome clean, even better with a wah
JTM: ACDC, Jimi, can do huge low end for smooth jazz
Tweed: Los Lonely semi clean to dirty blues

crankyrayhanky said:
I enjoy the work of most of the pro modders here, but I think Pete excels at specific areas such as: tones for Strat, as well as mods that have warm/thick mids that are fanastic for leads.

Agreed. :D

I've owned both plexi and jtm45.To my ears i'd say the JTM45 has more lower end tone than the plexi.I get a right on ACDC sound from the JTM with room to spare.

Just get a Salvation Mash-all and be done with it. It has 4 different Marshall tones:
1. JTM-45 (Great for clean/overdrive)
2. JCM-800
3. Jose Mod
4. JVM
All of the sounds are VERY different and all of them are better then any of the stock modules. Take my word for it and you'll be very happy.
Jace 8)

I've been modding my Brahma myself, and I like the tone I'm getting out of it now. The only problem I have with it is it has to much built in compression. I use my volume knob when I need a clean sound and I have to turn the volume knob down to 3 or 4 to get the level drop I use to get around 5 with my other amps.