New Modules and New MTS Owner

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAdkins

Reaction score
So, I bought my RM100 and 2x12 from FunkyMonkey and I got the Black Face and SL+ modules to go with it a few months ago. Then I was wanting to fill in the third spot in the head since I was missing a module. So, I got a Gigmods Recto to fill that spot a few weeks ago from a forum member (C2ply, thank you). I love the way it sounds, but my stock SL+ just doesn't add up to the modded module. Then I had Lays syndrome (can't have just one) so, I got a JF UltraXL in the mail today from another forum member (jhideout, thank you). WOW, again the modded one sounds killer compared to the stock mods. So, now the SL+ is either going to be replaced or modded and the Black Face will be sold. Since I am planning on getting the Digitech gsp1101 and Control 2 foot board. I will use the gsp to get my clean tones and mild crunch tones and just have 3 high gain modded tone gods in the RM100. My plan was to have a Freidman BE/HBE (Marshall), Gigmods Recto (Mesa), and a JF Ultra XL (5150). What are your thoughts on the best high gain Marshall sound? Think Zakk Wylde/80's Hair Metal, the golden age of the modded JCM 800.

The modded modules that I have are awesome. This is the reason why I bought the Randall MTS amp to be able to have the versatility to get top quality Mesa, Marshall and what ever tones out of the same amp. The beauty of a modeler in real tube amp form.

The Gigmods upgrades for the SL+ are awesome. About a year ago they were the hot thing - everyone was getting a Gigmods SL+. Have Pete do "the works" to it (standard upgrades plus 3 way bass switch and JCM 800 switch).

Also, I had him re-voice mine a little so the treble was not as bright.

IF you want that 80's metal tone this will do it all.

Welcome man...don't get too crazy, pokemon module collecting can get expensive ;-)

KillTone said:
The Gigmods upgrades for the SL+ are awesome. About a year ago they were the hot thing - everyone was getting a Gigmods SL+. Have Pete do "the works" to it (standard upgrades plus 3 way bass switch and JCM 800 switch).

Agreed, the Gigmods SL+ with the works is a superior Marshall tone.

crankyrayhanky said:
KillTone said:

Agreed, the Gigmods SL+ with the works is a superior Marshall tone.

anyone have links to a Gigmods SL+ clip ?

TIA

I have a KH1 for cleans but almost never use it. I have a clean patch set up on my RP1000 (same brain as the gsp1101) that I use for that.

My opinion of the stock SL+ is different from yours however. I currently own a JF Brahma, JF Mr Scary, Gigmods Ultra XL, and a stock SL+ for gain. I find that boosting the SL+ and Brahma give me better high gain tones than running the others straight. Try boosting the SL+.

80s "Hair Metal" was not all that high gain. It was volume. The JCM800s were not a high gain amp by modern standards. They're now more middle gain. Boost pedals were also the name of the game. Zakk Wylde (not Hair Metal) but 80s metal -- run a ZW Distortion in front of the SL+.

Another thing you can do is use the GSP1101 as a preamp (plug the output into the Serial Loop Return) and dial in the JCM800 model (don't forget to globally turn OFF the cabinet modeling, then dial in the SL+ to match. Remember Marshalls, especially the 800 have a lot of mids. The midrange knobs on the Marshalls center at 650 Hz, and those got dimed as well. Treble rolled off as well as bass set around noon. They sounded IMO pretty bad by themselves, but in a band context they really cut through the mix, and that's what made them a great amp. Another key to the Marshall sound equation is medium output pickups in a mahogany body. If you push V1 too hard you'll get fizz with them. Same goes for the modules. They call the Marshall sound the "Marshall Bark".

I do have a newer SL+ with the JCM800 mod already. Will the Pete modded SL+ sound better ie clearer, more definition, etc.? I want to be able to get the lower gain sound of the 80's Hair Metal and then add a boost to get more of the 80's Metal/Thrash sound ie early Metallica and Megadeth.

Pick up a Salvation MashAll module. It has every Marshall tone you could want and they all sound amazing. Every tone in it KILLS the stock SL+. Worked for me anyway.
Cheers,
Jace

You can easily back off the gain on the Pete SL+. For the 80's Marshall tone I put the gain as low as about 9 or 10:00. The nice thing about that module is you can turn the gain up and adjust the 3 way bass switch to your taste for a more modern tone as well. Very versital module.

Another Gigmods option is a modified Plexi - on its own will get the "cleaner" 80's tone, then you can hit it with a boost for heavier gain. However, you can get the almost the same result with the SL+ with the gain down and then still have the extra gain from the module when you want to get modern.

Another good one is the Voodoo Jose HG or UG mod. If you play in a loud band, this one really sounds great in that environment.

Sounds good to me, Killtone. I think I will just have Pete mod my SL+ and call it good. I sent him an email asking for pricing. So, the SL+ will probably be going in for surgery within the next month and the Black Face will be going in the classifieds.

I can see collecting modules can get real expensive and addicting. Hey, its only $100- $300 for a totally new sound, compared to $500 - $1000+ for a new amp. I think I will just keep to the 3 High Gain modules and use the GSP 1101 for everything else, since I don't play in a band or anything.