Oh come on, nothing at all?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
Talking about Summer NAMM of course..

I'm not one of those people who whine's about stuff, but .. come on!
There were 5 modules anounced at Winter NAMM, there's been a year of raving about Scott Ian and GL's new modules ..

How can they not have EVEN ONE NEW ONE??

Randall's marketing strategy is beyond me.

Edit: my mistake, those 5 new ones where anounced at LAST SUMMER NAMM
A year of complete freaking silence. :(

crankyrayhanky said:
It's frustrating to see "New Modules for 2007!" stickied...mocking us

Indeed, more than once I've read "New modules" and went :D before reading "2007" and going :cry:

(when I'm having a slow day :lol: )

But really I can understand that for some reason they would not be able to develop/bring out these (or any) modules.
but at least let us know, it's the radiosilence that really sucks.

I've heard from several sources (even on here) that Randall is going through a change of management. In this time of great unrest it may be unfruitful to look for any new offerings. Then again i am actually quite pleased with my Salvation/ m0jo modules so i really don't pay much attention anymore.

Peace, Joshua

Yeah, not surprising (though disappointing) with the management change going on. We are fortunate that we have some crazy talented people who are doing some awesome mods to these modules to keep us happy while Randall sits gets their bid'ness figured out and gets even more toys to us hehe

I wouldnt hold my breath on Randall.
I mean..if yuo are out there..randall-people..speak up, would you!
I have seen this before.... the quietness with how some companies drop products. Sometimes really great ideas...but they didnt stick it out.
And ya know...it just pisses off people like me who have invested in a product. I want to know I can get parts, buy a new module from time to time.
Apparently,for some companies its about the next dollar..not about the people who just paid your rent.

I get your frustration. I guess I was in on the last rant that caused RD Steve to completely stop replying to posts. I can only assume that he has a gag order on him now to not say anything. I am sorry for that.

I would like to say however that Im starting to feel like that boyfriend who's girlfriend needs "more space" or "Its not you its me". That feeling you get when you know the end is near.

Lets face it, and I dont particularly care how the economy is or that there is new management or whatever excuse you want to wrap it up in. THere is absolutely no excuse for not doing anything with this product line. If there were new modules would you buy them? I know I would. Have we run out of ideas for modules already? I dont think so, I mean most of the modders seem to be making spectacular mods to these things. I know that there is still a market for them.

For whatever reason Randall has decided to suspend or just ignore the MTS line. Its not like they ever marketed it in the first place. 99% of the time you cant go to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or wherever and even see anything MTS. If it were not for the Kirk Hammett ads in Guitar Player I dont think anyone would even know what the hell it was.

Okay so before I get blasted I want want to say that I love my RM4, I love my modules and I love the MTS line. Ive put alot of time and alot of money in it and I feel like Randall as a company could really care less. Im sure Id feel alot better about them if I owned one of their 200.00 POS amps that they're trying to pump out to the general public.

2+ years ago, I got into the mts line specifically for Pete's SL+, Recto, and Blackface. Those 3 are still at the top of my arsenal, and now with Salvation and Jaded Faith around, there is much diversity available it is sick.

Stock modules I lived with for the first few months, after that, there's no going back....that helps ease my bitterness towards randall's seemingly lack of respect to post anything here or release any new mods- the people on this board have outproduced them by a mile.

I totally agree with the modders really improving what Randall put out. However, I'd like to see continued support of this line by Randall so new people continue to buy MTS systems and continue sending business to the fabulous modders here in order to continue to make modding MTS stuff a lucrative undertaking for these wonderful folks. I jammed with a new band yesterday, and the other 2 guitarists had a Mesa Boogie and Marshall JVM setup. I preferred the sound of my MTS rig FAR more, and I am still developing it to my tastes. I'd really like to see this line continue to grow and innovate

I am new to the MTS line myself. I love and am thankful of all of the options that the great modders out there are providing us. As far as the Randall company goes, I am sure that they are having a difficult time finding an offshore manufacturing process. If they are not selling the product line they are simply not going to go into any further production. I am sure the lower line of amps are better money makers for them. Anything that is a boutique product, has a limited audience and they have to pay an endorsement for simply will not grow anymore. They would have to keep reinvesting money into R&D and some companies just simply will not let their bottom line justify that anymore. I would not be suprised to see the MTS stuff be dropped from the lineup. I surely would not be happy about that either

I know that a couple of years ago they chose NOT to have the MTS products made in China. This allowed them to keep a lot of jobs in the USA, but it also forced them to raise the prices a bit. Having been a Product Manager for a few gear companies, I know for sure that these could made just as well in China. If they did that, they could lower the price on MTS products by a third at least.
But I don't think "price" is their problem. Here are the issues:

1. Because the amps are modular, big stores like GC and Sam Ash are really not equipped to sell them. The modules can't be left in the amps or they'll be stolen. It would be hard to even leave a customer playing one for fear of that. They also won't stock one of every module for demo units and everybody always wants to get a new one in a box after they've tried the demo module. They don't want to work this hard or spend this much money when it is easier to sell other amps.

2. Availability-When I was an MTS dealer (The Axe Shop in Studio City, Ca) they NEVER had products in stock. It took forever to get them. Plus they shipped almost EVERY order wrong! They always sent the wrong color or installed the wrong speakers, etc.

3. Randall only knows how to market to the rock and metal crowd. Plus Randall isn't known for making high quality tube amps. So other genre players aren't looking for Randall amps and Randall isn't trying to sell to these players. If the MTS line was marketed by Marshall or Fender it would be an easier product to sell. However GC and Sam Ash still wouldn't want to deal with it.

We're probably lucky the MTS line is still available at all. Even Egnater isn't focusing on the modular products anymore. Bruce is making more money then ever before with his Tourmaster products. GC loves to sell those!

What Randall SHOULD DO is take the API Lunchbox approach and invite other manufacturers to make MTS modules! Marshall, Fender, Boogie, etc could all make their own modules in China for cheap and make some easy money. That would cause some excitement about the MTS line and keep it going.

1. Because the amps are modular, big stores like GC and Sam Ash are really not equipped to sell them.

I've seen Sam Ash and others carry a few loaded amps, so I disagree there- but the rest of your post is dead on

They would have been better off leaving the Randall name off of it to begin with and create a different name as a less publicized sub-division...I'm a huge metal fan and I still thought this was a ridiculous idea when i first saw it- didn't matter because Randall was never on my shopping list. Years later I opened my ears and went on a spending spree

After all that's said:
I've recieved nothing but compliments on my tone since I got my RM4 ..
Most people don't know any high end tube amp brands anyway.
I have not seen an MTS ad anywhere whatsoever, it's also completely hidden in the crap that Randall/U.S. Music call their website..

What they need to do it set up a seperate MTS website, with clear concise explanation (think diagram, pictures, short video) and GOOD samples of the modules.
They could do some viral marketing by setting up something like an MTS-configurator: make your choices and hear the tones.

Make it FUN to set up some stuff and hear the different tones, it will gain popularity and the idea will catch on: build a custom amp suited to your needs without any hassle whatsoever.

This stuff isn't hard, it makes me think there are 0/zero/squat marketing people at Randall.

Thanks for some VALUABLE input on why the MTS line is having a very rough time.
I hate to agree with your points..but I know the scurrolous creatures that run GC and Ash and it makes perfect sense.
Those greedy bastards can't be bothered carrying a good product because they have to actually tend to you (you know, that terrible customer service thing..). And its really rudiculous because Ash and GC here in NY have you go thru metal detectors on the way in and also inspect you and whatever you are carrying on the way in AND out.
I guess they have time to frisk you..but no time to watch you try an MTS amp.
This is why I look at those stores as the enemy. They are not your friends.... they are true mercenary stores. Other stores in the area cannot get certain brands because these stores have non-compete clauses that forbid brands being available in other stores nearby.
And now GC and Ash have their own brands they put in the other stores (like Samson..get it ? "Sam's son".....)...they are like a freakin invasive species.
Bottom line: they are not your friends: support your local stores who might charge you a few dollars more..but they arent working against you 24/7 to limit your choices and present you with a monopoly.
This is a big reason why good products die..because of market monopolys, and quite frankly,... the greed that causes these tactics.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
I hate to agree with your points..but I know the scurrolous creatures that run GC and Ash and it makes perfect sense.
Those greedy bastards can't be bothered carrying a good product because they have to actually tend to you (you know, that terrible customer service thing..). And its really rudiculous because Ash and GC here in NY have you go thru metal detectors on the way in and also inspect you and whatever you are carrying on the way in AND out.
This is why I look at those stores as the enemy. They are not your friends.... they are true mercenary stores. Other stores in the area cannot get certain brands because these stores have non-compete clauses that forbid brands being available in other stores nearby.
And now GC and Ash have their own brands they put in the other stores (like Samson..get it ? "Sam's son".....)...they are like a freakin invasive species.
Bottom line: they are not your friends: support your local stores who might charge you a few dollars more..but they arent working against you 24/7 to limit your choices and present you with a monopoly.
This is a big reason why good products die..because of market monopolys, and quite frankly,... the greed that causes these tactics.
GtrGeorge

Great post. Well put.

GtrGeorge! said:
GtrGeorge

+1. I rarely buy anything from GC unless it's used, or unless I have a crazy coupon. I find you can nearly always get a better price (and better customer service) buying used from people you've never met in person, via forums like these.

...on a more positive note, if these new modules ever do come out, what exactly is the ultra curve? On other threads people wrote about how excited they were about it, but not what it was. Is it another differently-voiced version of the ultra/UXL, or is it like the 5150 II if the ultra is the 5150, or what?

I is be sexy said:
...on a more positive note, if these new modules ever do come out, what exactly is the ultra curve? On other threads people wrote about how excited they were about it, but not what it was. Is it another differently-voiced version of the ultra/UXL, or is it like the 5150 II if the ultra is the 5150, or what?

The Ultra Curve introduced a graphic EQ, instead of the basic parametric EQ that the modules have now. I think it's safe to assume it would've been high gain and based on one of the Ultra modules. I think the problem was that Randall couldn't come up with sliders (variable resistors) small enough to fit and be effective enough in shaping multiple tones.

SacredGroove said:
The Ultra Curve introduced a graphic EQ, instead of the basic parametric EQ that the modules have now. I think it's safe to assume it would've been high gain and based on one of the Ultra modules. I think the problem was that Randall couldn't come up with sliders (variable resistors) small enough to fit and be effective enough in shaping multiple tones.
Thanks... like a UXL with a built-in EQ pedal? That sounds pretty cool, but yeah those sliders would have to be pretty small, I can see how that would be a problem